• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France vs England

As a french , i'm quite happy for Armitage and Monye dropping. Remember Armitage last year who played a really good match against France and Monye can be highly dangerous with his speed.

i was watching again highlights of last year match (good therapy :p Lets hope french players will do the same, it worths one training at least :p ) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7941972.stm

I hope we won't fail like that, i would not understand. French defense is a shame on that match.

I think we are so scared of an awfull scenario like last year.. that it can't happen again this year.

Not a lot to say about selected french players..continuity...it seems good choices to me. Bastaraud was part of the last year match so he will be motivated , his selection is a good thing imo.

God ! lets have a quick week ! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 16 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a french , i'm quite happy for Armitage and Monye dropping. Remember Armitage last year who played a really good match against France and Monye can be highly dangerous with his speed.[/b]
Ashtons no slow coach, and Foden is as good/better as Armitage last year, and the way those two link together, it's quality :p

I can't wait till Saturday! (assuming those two both start...)

On a Tindall related note, i read an interview with him where he said he doesn't expect to just walk back onto the starting 22 for Gloucester after returning from injury, based on merit, he wants to prove himself again. Looks like he's done the exact opposite for England. He's fit therefore he's on the team.

Johnson must be on his last life as he FINALLY seems to be thinking smartly.

Also Bernard your glad Armitage and Monye are dropped. :eek:
France might actually get a contest ....

Bullitt was it you who put them up to it to win that season ticket :p

Personally I'm hoping for an England backline along the lines of:

9) Ellis
10) Hodgson
11) Sackey
12) Noon
13) Tindall
14) Varndell
15) Balshaw

The French would be screwed!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 17 2010, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
France might actually get a contest ....[/b]

It is purely subjective , they are representing some "symbolic" dangers because of the last year match ;) .

i do not think that it will have any effect on the match result. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 17 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 17 2010, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
France might actually get a contest ....[/b]

It is purely subjective , they are representing some "symbolic" dangers because of the last year match ;) .

i do not think that it will have any effect on the match result. :p
[/b][/quote]
Agreed there, still see French recording comfortable win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 17 2010, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agreed there, still see French recording comfortable win.[/b]

I don't think anything will be comfortable this saturday. The English love to spoil our party too much

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 17 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 17 2010, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed there, still see French recording comfortable win.[/b]

I don't think anything will be comfortable this saturday. The English love to spoil our party too much
[/b][/quote]
My prediction is that it'll be a tricky game until last 10-15mins and then France will pull away to win itt by 10+points.
But since England have picked likes of Foden and Ashton at last then you never know.

I think it'll be closer than people think.
England don't have a particularly bad defending game (especially with Worsely and Wilkinson on) - it's just our attacking game that is lacking (especially with Worsely and Wilkinson on)

It's almost a good thing that Johnsons been treating Foden poorly, as he's playing out of his skin to get into the 15 shirt/make it his

Hoping for starts for Foden and Ashton then, looks likely atm. The only reason I could see Tindall being put in would be to counter the threat and size of Basteraud. Flood did not look good enough in the 1/2 hour he had on saturday to replace Jonny. Agree that Wilkinson is not at his best at the moment but no real contenders for his spot IMO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (www.rugbyperformance.co.uk @ Mar 17 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hoping for starts for Foden and Ashton then, looks likely atm. The only reason I could see Tindall being put in would be to counter the threat and size of Basteraud. Flood did not look good enough in the 1/2 hour he had on saturday to replace Jonny. Agree that Wilkinson is not at his best at the moment but no real contenders for his spot IMO[/b]

By the same token, I don't think we can judge Flood too harshly since he was only on for a half an hour in which Flutey and Tait were standing too deep and too far away to give him options so he had to take it on himself quite often when it wasn't ideal to do so.

I think we may be too reluctant to criticise our centres since we know they are still our best options at present;

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 16 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 16 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a french , i'm quite happy for Armitage and Monye dropping. Remember Armitage last year who played a really good match against France and Monye can be highly dangerous with his speed.[/b]
Ashtons no slow coach, and Foden is as good/better as Armitage last year, and the way those two link together, it's quality :p

[/b][/quote]

wouldn't go that far... let's wait until Foden's got a full game under his belt. Either way, he thoroughly deserves his chance and England are lucky to have 2 young fullbacks who, on form, can be outstanding. At least 15 shouln't be a problem for us for the next few years.

Which year was it he did the same thing in South Africa? So desperate to make one of his trademark clumsy tackles he went and face planted one of his forwards on the leg, only to (again) get himself injured.

Funnily enough, England looked better that day once he was off the pitch. Coincidence?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 17 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Funnily enough, England looked better that day once he was off the pitch. Coincidence?[/b]
Of course not, and you'll be hard pressed to find a fan that says otherwise (apart from "All Whites" i think it was, that was saying Flood played worse because he missed that DG)
Though Foden coming on at about that time helped as well

Lads just 1 query,

If Ashton or Foden have a poor game (like lets be honest Paris isn't best place to come in and try create fireworks)

Will they be put out into cold again or will Johnno use sense and let them have a few games to just settle into squad and develop their club form on International stage.
England have this problem of inconsistency of playing players like Foden and Ashton yet consistenly pick players on last legs (Wilko, Borthwick and even Cueto)

1 bad game and they'll be kicked to the kerb. Then we'll see a return for Balshaw and Cohen. Or maybe even Sackey and Varndell.

15 Ben Foden Northampton Saints
14 Mark Cueto Sale Sharks
13 Mike Tindall Gloucester
12 Riki Flutey Brive
11 Chris Ashton Northampton Saints
10 Toby Flood Leicester Tigers
9 Danny Care Harlequins

1 Tim Payne London Wasps
2 Dylan Hartley Northampton
3 Dan Cole Leicester Tigers
4 Simon Shaw London Wasps
5 Steve Borthwick © Saracens
6 Joe Worsley London Wasps
7 Lewis Moody Leicester Tigers
8 Nick Easter Harlequins

16 Steve Thompson CA Brive
17 David Wilson Bath Rugby
18 Louis Deacon Leicester Tigers
19 James Haskell Stade Francais
20 Ben Youngs Leicester Tigers
21 Jonny Wilkinson Toulon
22 Matthew Tait Sale Sharks

Not a bad team, from who Johnson had to choose from. Good to see Ashton/Foden/Flood all getting starts.
I suppose Tindalls there to stop Bastareaud, as he's more of a bulk than Tait is.
Deacon and Payne still involved in the team...But Johnson's never going to drop them while they're fit, unfortunately

Latest posts