• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France vs England

Just when you think things are going right, Tindall replaces Tait. :rolleyes:

The smart money would have been to bring in Allen at 12 and keep Tait in the 13 shirt. Then there's the brain and power provided by the inside centre (where it's needed) while keeping the outside backs nice and speedy. Cueto can cover the brains of the back 3 while Foden and Ashton could live off Taits shoulder.

Not as confident as I'd like to be, still too much Payne, Borthwick, Deacon & Worsley there to stagnate any quick ball, wrecking the backline and completely neglecting the whole point of bringing in Foden and Ashton.

I thought Tindall had retired from International Rugby.... Suprised not to see a cameo performance from Iain Balshaw!!!

I wish the Rugby 08 bug where the French openside injures the opposition was real, so Dusaltoir could just tackle them Payne, Worsley, Deacon and Tindall (not Wilkinson, he'll do that himself) injure them all and they all have to go off and won't be selected for test rugby ever again.

Originally posted by BBC Sport
Skipper Steve Borthwick remains a doubt for the game with a knee injury.

The Saracens lock missed training on Wednesday and will spend two days with his leg in a brace.

Stade Francais second row Tom Palmer has been drafted into the squad as cover in case Borthwick fails to recover in time.

Why call Tom Palmer up? Why not just not release Lawes? It makes no sense...

*goes to wikipedia*
*looks at Tom Palmers previous clubs*

"2006 - 09 London Wasps
2001 - England"

Ah, another case of "Played for Wasps, played with Johnson, get him in the team"

Leicester, Wasps, Bath & Newcastle.

If you have history with one of those 4 clubs or were in a white shirt between 01 & 03, you're in.

Although I'm less ****** off than i was 24 hours ago, i'm still ****** off.

Is there a slower back-row in international rugby than Moody/Easter/Worsley?

He's made changes in the backs, but they're not really the problem, its the shite ball the forwards are giving them. The backs haven't done too badly, they haven't been great but who would from a team who concedes 10 turnovers a game?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Mar 17 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He's made changes in the backs, but they're not really the problem, its the shite ball the forwards are giving them. The backs haven't done too badly, they haven't been great but who would from a team who concedes 10 turnovers a game?[/b]

Most people here have the same opinion. The English backline is reckognized to be very talented, and can rivalise individualy to the French one.
Question is how will they be served ?

Surprised not to see Mike Catt being picked at 12 alongside the other Mike...They would have been the center(s) of <strike>International retirement</strike> attention for England :p

Looks like England got a problem at outside center?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 17 2010, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 17 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funnily enough, England looked better that day once he was off the pitch. Coincidence?[/b]
Of course not, and you'll be hard pressed to find a fan that says otherwise (apart from "All Whites" i think it was, that was saying Flood played worse because he missed that DG)
Though Foden coming on at about that time helped as well
[/b][/quote]

I didn't mean to imply Flood performed worse because he missed the DG attempt, and the tricky penalty, i just felt with Wilko on at those moments England would have won the game. I hope Flood has a blinder on Saturday and goes on his way to nail down the 10 jersey, but England has bigger concerns in other areas than at fly-half IMO.

Happy to see Ashton and Foden with plenty of game time to see if they're up to it, but no backline is going to perform without some decent service which England has been missing for a long long time.

Cannot see anything other than a French victory unless France get caught in the headlights and lose it themselves or England actually get some ball and run some rings around them :huh: .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Mar 17 2010, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Question is how will they (the backs) be served ?[/b]

Like how anybody who enters a shop in Paris gets served: very badly.

"You look like you need the exercise, go and get the damn teddy bear yourself!" is one peach a friend of mine received when she asked a toy shop attendent in Paris if he could go and fetch a teddy bear for her.

EDIT: I'm STILL pining for a back row of Croft, Saul and Narraway by the way. I tell you Narraway could score 20 tries single handedly against the All Blacks on the next summer tour and Johnno would still prefer Easter or Ward-Smith to him. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 17 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Like how anybody who enters a shop in Paris gets served: very badly.[/b]

Look when you're in Paris you're already supposed to be very very happy. What more do you want, a f***ing smile? <_<

[/being french]

I know some people who work in tourism aren't the nicest... I guess in Paris they don't need to to get customers. Real Parisians are not like that

Don't worry Hong Kong eclipses Paris.

One of my mates at Uni was backpacking across the Far East and had stopped at Hong Kong. She went into this clothes shop browsing when this fearsome old lady came out the back and said in the way that only people from China can: "WHATYOUWAAN?!"

My friend said "oh nothing, just browsing thanks!"

The old lady looked her up and down (my mate was quite a looker actually) and said matter-of-factly "NOTHINGFITYOU-YOUTOOFAT!"

Class.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 17 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

One of my mates at Uni was backpacking across the Far East and had stopped at Hong Kong. She went into this clothes shop browsing when this fearsome old lady came out the back and said in the way that only people from China can: "WHATYOUWAAN?!"

The old lady looked her up and down (my mate was quite a looker actually) and said matter-of-factly "NOTHINGFITYOU-YOUTOOFAT!"

Class.[/b]

That could make it onto a sketch show! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 17 2010, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Class.[/b]

:lol:

To be fair if England play the kicking game again, similar to the Italy game then its game over, I think the rush French defence will trap the inside and outside centres so that 13 will not be able to get a chance for the break meaning kick kick Fe**ing kick..... Quick ball won't help England, only the 14 or 11 coming off their wing should push the over lap against France.

On the other hand the free form game which Wales, Ireland and France have being playing ( France being the best at this ), will control the game, which means that the antiquated system that England play i.e. 7 years to old mindset will not work, this is a sevens game I feel and should be played as one.. every man counts keep out of the rucks two men at most and steal steal steal.

sorry for the rat but after Scotland it seams that this could be a walk over if they don't keep their heads up and keep structure to the line out, if you have the ball then keep it !!

Stuart Barne's opinion on the game. Sums up my point of view quite perfectly. Particularly the fact that this game is the most important of the Lievremont era. Also what he says about Johnson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stuart Barnes on TimesOnline.co.uk)</div>
The grand-slam game for France and so much more; in the short term there is the small matter of vengeance for the recent humiliations England have wreaked upon them. The World Cup semi-final was the lowest point of them all, on home turf in 2007, but England returned and beat them again in Paris under Brian Ashton in 2008.

Martin Johnson’s team has only produced one performance of adequate quality and that was against France at Twickenham last season when the visitors were nothing short of humiliated. If there is one European nation with a track record to scare the life out of France, it is England.

It is because of these psychological connotations that this game remains a compelling prospect despite the evidence screaming "mismatch". On all known form lines the match is merely a matter of how much? France have played some sumptuous stuff this season, especially at home, while England â€" far from making progress â€" have regressed an alarming distance in the last twelve months.

It is a watershed match for both nations. France are undoubtedly a more talented side than England. They have the beating of them in every tangible department but there is hope for Johnson; hope that France will fail to handle the dual pressure of a match to win the grand slam and a game against their bête noir.
Related Links

England are not good enough to beat France but France might just be mentally weak enough to do something terrible to themselves. And defeat truly would be a terrible blow; one so heavy that I do not believe this group of players would have time to recover before the World Cup.

This is the biggest game of Marc Lievremont’s reign to date. Never mind that he has beaten New Zealand in the southern hemisphere and smashed the world champions; this is the game that proves whether this squad has the mental capacity to challenge beyond the Six Nations for the highest international honours.

They have proved the abundance of talent since beating New Zealand in the summer. Morgan Parra is maturing into something special and his partnership with Francois Trinh-Duc is shaping into France’s best and most solid half back partnership for years. They are well led and possess in Imanol Harinordoquy, the pre-eminent No 8 in the world. The gut of this team is exceptional.

The spine is strengthened by the late flowering of the always talented William Servat into a hooker of exceptional ability. The second row smashes into breakdowns, the fluid lineout is improving by the week and even dear old Clement Poitrenaud has put his toys away and is playing like a man. He has been superb in this tournament and has a major role to play on Saturday.

England, it pains me to reiterate, have kicked away so much possession and so much of it aimlessly in blind hope that the opposition would do something daft deep in their own half. Beneath all the principles espoused this is the innate negativity that has been at the heart of England’s game. Should they kick the ball down the throat of the Toulouse man he is likely to destroy England as he did Italy.

Clement has had more than his share of mad moments but this is a new scary (for the opposition) and inspiring one (for the supporters). Judicious but never afraid to take the opportunity to devastate on the counter, his form epitomises France’s game this season.

Alas, England has no one near that level of form or confidence. In Scotland the side was set up to stop Scotland instead of creating much itself. They were lucky not to lose; the odds are they will not be as fortunate again.

I am not even sure that English fans should be hoping for another spectacular French freeze. England are clearly on the wrong route with a stubborn management and an ever increasingly ridiculous sounding captain.

If England could stun France with a sophisticated blend of forward power and attacking creativity it would be a tonic for the nation but this is, on all available evidence, a wild dream. So too is a win but with France, until they win that grand slam and put England away, you just cannot be certain.

A narrow defeat based upon a nervy home team and a deliberately destructive visiting side would be worse news for England than an absolute hammering. Someone has to get the message across that Johnson is the emperor with no clothes and nobody close to the man is going to tell him. He doesn’t hear much but the sound of his own thinking. Shock therapy might be the only treatment to work for England. France, at their best, could do us all a favour.

Main Man: Clement Poitrenaud

The barometer for this French team. A reformed character with a genius controlled for the first time in his career; should he keep a lid on his temperament and await the chances that will surely come his way he and France will slam the door on poor England.[/b]

Isn't Guadeloupe an official region or departement of France, meaning they live by the same laws and rights as someone living in say Lille?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 18 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Stuart Barne's opinion on the game. Sums up my point of view quite perfectly. Particularly the fact that this game is the most important of the Lievremont era. Also what he says about Johnson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stuart Barnes on TimesOnline.co.uk)
The grand-slam game for France and so much more; in the short term there is the small matter of vengeance for the recent humiliations England have wreaked upon them. The World Cup semi-final was the lowest point of them all, on home turf in 2007, but England returned and beat them again in Paris under Brian Ashton in 2008.

Martin Johnson’s team has only produced one performance of adequate quality and that was against France at Twickenham last season when the visitors were nothing short of humiliated. If there is one European nation with a track record to scare the life out of France, it is England.

It is because of these psychological connotations that this game remains a compelling prospect despite the evidence screaming "mismatch". On all known form lines the match is merely a matter of how much? France have played some sumptuous stuff this season, especially at home, while England â€" far from making progress â€" have regressed an alarming distance in the last twelve months.

It is a watershed match for both nations. France are undoubtedly a more talented side than England. They have the beating of them in every tangible department but there is hope for Johnson; hope that France will fail to handle the dual pressure of a match to win the grand slam and a game against their bête noir.
Related Links

England are not good enough to beat France but France might just be mentally weak enough to do something terrible to themselves. And defeat truly would be a terrible blow; one so heavy that I do not believe this group of players would have time to recover before the World Cup.

This is the biggest game of Marc Lievremont’s reign to date. Never mind that he has beaten New Zealand in the southern hemisphere and smashed the world champions; this is the game that proves whether this squad has the mental capacity to challenge beyond the Six Nations for the highest international honours.

They have proved the abundance of talent since beating New Zealand in the summer. Morgan Parra is maturing into something special and his partnership with Francois Trinh-Duc is shaping into France’s best and most solid half back partnership for years. They are well led and possess in Imanol Harinordoquy, the pre-eminent No 8 in the world. The gut of this team is exceptional.

The spine is strengthened by the late flowering of the always talented William Servat into a hooker of exceptional ability. The second row smashes into breakdowns, the fluid lineout is improving by the week and even dear old Clement Poitrenaud has put his toys away and is playing like a man. He has been superb in this tournament and has a major role to play on Saturday.

England, it pains me to reiterate, have kicked away so much possession and so much of it aimlessly in blind hope that the opposition would do something daft deep in their own half. Beneath all the principles espoused this is the innate negativity that has been at the heart of England’s game. Should they kick the ball down the throat of the Toulouse man he is likely to destroy England as he did Italy.

Clement has had more than his share of mad moments but this is a new scary (for the opposition) and inspiring one (for the supporters). Judicious but never afraid to take the opportunity to devastate on the counter, his form epitomises France’s game this season.

Alas, England has no one near that level of form or confidence. In Scotland the side was set up to stop Scotland instead of creating much itself. They were lucky not to lose; the odds are they will not be as fortunate again.

I am not even sure that English fans should be hoping for another spectacular French freeze. England are clearly on the wrong route with a stubborn management and an ever increasingly ridiculous sounding captain.

If England could stun France with a sophisticated blend of forward power and attacking creativity it would be a tonic for the nation but this is, on all available evidence, a wild dream. So too is a win but with France, until they win that grand slam and put England away, you just cannot be certain.

A narrow defeat based upon a nervy home team and a deliberately destructive visiting side would be worse news for England than an absolute hammering. Someone has to get the message across that Johnson is the emperor with no clothes and nobody close to the man is going to tell him. He doesn’t hear much but the sound of his own thinking. Shock therapy might be the only treatment to work for England. France, at their best, could do us all a favour.

Main Man: Clement Poitrenaud

The barometer for this French team. A reformed character with a genius controlled for the first time in his career; should he keep a lid on his temperament and await the chances that will surely come his way he and France will slam the door on poor England.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

He's so right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Mar 18 2010, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't Guadeloupe an official region or departement of France, meaning they live by the same laws and rights as someone living in say Lille?[/b]

Of course Bristol, only some f***ing douchebags haven't understood that yet. God I hate it when rugby starts looking like football. Because that's where those racist *****es are coming from. And for god's sake will everyone please stop hating Bastareaud? He's just a kid ffs, leave him be!

Latest posts