• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Franks brother beat Haymans squat record

Iron Mike

Academy Player
http://allblacks.com/news/13230/240kg-squat-Franks-brothers-new-All-Blacks-strongmen

One of them did 240kg according to allblacks.com, or they might both have done it, it doesn't really say, it seems as though they both were. Which beats Carl Haymans personal best of 220kg.

These guys are incredible, 22 and 26, they will be the All Blacks props for the World Cup I reckon, they dominated the Super 14 this year, the only time the scrum weakened was when Wyatt Crockett came on.

That's a fair old amount of tin!
Haven't watched much S14 this season, so look forward to seeing them play on the weekend

Didn't Sheridan bench press 200kg? Anyway thats a hell of a lot of weight, will be facinating to watch them against the irish front row.

Sheridan benches 225 and squats 275, apparently

Sheridan was a bodybuilder, entered those strongman contests or whatever. Yeah, Sheridan is very impressive with lifting weights, it is just a shame he could never really use that strength in scrummaging, unlike Carl Hayman. Or maybe it was just poor technique, he was good, but for how much he could lift, you would think he would be the best prop in the world.

I'd be curious as to what Aled de Malmanche can do, apparently he can bench press over 220kgs.

I'd be curious as to what Aled de Malmanche can do, apparently he can bench press over 220kgs.

Yeah i had heard about him before he made his NPC debut, aparently back then when he was playing loosehead he was hands down the strongest player in NZ rugby. Hayman was around at that time too

David Pocock benchpresses 180kgs I think, Digby Ioane did 160kgs at the Force.

Best thing about the franks brothers is they can lift those weights and also make cover tackles out in the backline. IMO these guys are the savior of NZ rugby.

That's some serious weight on the squat. It will be interesting to see whether or not the strength truly makes a difference on the field..
http://allblacks.com/news/13230/240kg-squat-Franks-brothers-new-All-Blacks-strongmen

One of them did 240kg according to allblacks.com, or they might both have done it, it doesn't really say, it seems as though they both were. Which beats Carl Haymans personal best of 220kg.

These guys are incredible, 22 and 26, they will be the All Blacks props for the World Cup I reckon, they dominated the Super 14 this year, the only time the scrum weakened was when Wyatt Crockett came on.

"You get some very strong people in the gym but they don't necessarily transfer that into functional strength out on the paddock, whereas these two do." - Mike Cron
I think that quote is key when you were talking about peole like Sheridan, etc...
Can that strength translate into anything functional. We had a body builder come out to rugby training once, he was talking about how he was ready to dominate. He couldn't do **** and then tore his achiles tendon. F'er was on the 'roids. Anyway, glad to see Cron make that notable statement.

I think the Franks bros are like Sheridan,
Neither have dominated in the scrum (from what i've seen of them anyway) despite what their gym work would suggest. They're very average - one is better than the other (not sure which) - but i wouldn't class either as top props

However, strongest man in the world Mariusz Pudzianowski plays rugby in whichever country he's from, at prop, and apparently he just powers through the whole scrum - just keeps going forward through the opposite prop lock flanker and 8 :p
_38274961_mariusafp200.jpg

I think the Franks bros are like Sheridan,
Neither have dominated in the scrum (from what i've seen of them anyway) despite what their gym work would suggest. They're very average - one is better than the other (not sure which) - but i wouldn't class either as top props

However, strongest man in the world Mariusz Pudzianowski plays rugby in whichever country he's from, at prop, and apparently he just powers through the whole scrum - just keeps going forward through the opposite prop lock flanker and 8 :p
_38274961_mariusafp200.jpg

Ben Franks (the older one) was solid at scrum time during the Super 14, but has struggled at times during the internationals (though his work around the field has been good). I think Owen Franks is well above average as a scrummager - I'd suggest he is almost world class in this respect. I'd certainly rate him as one of the top tighthead props in the world - the scary thing is that he is still only 22, so there is a lot of room for improvement yet!

Yeah, i think it was the youger (Owen) who i remember as the better of the two - remember him coming off the bench (replacing his brother?) and the AB scrum getting stronger

240 kg, that is a big load.
But those guys do play really well.