• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Frans Steyn set for SA return

Ja but look now you see you said "up to speed" again. Now you are going to get into a fight becaus the northerners hate it when you say their rugby is slow. Maybe on this website im not allowed to say that. And all I wanted to say was that i just wish Frans would play for the Sharks again now this season instead of relaxing at home doing nothing.

Can you even remember what you even wrote? Or is you head so far stuck up your arse you can't pull it out?

Why is there that this kind of posters are always from SA? They've only had internet recently or what?

Ja but look now you see you said "up to speed" again. Now you are going to get into a fight becaus the northerners hate it when you say their rugby is slow. Maybe on this website im not allowed to say that. And all I wanted to say was that i just wish Frans would play for the Sharks again now this season instead of relaxing at home doing nothing.

Yes, I said 'up to speed'. I was actually more concerned with getting him into the set-up and up to speed with the gameplans and getting the combinations settled but I doubt any reasonable NH poster would say that Super rugby isn't played at a faster pace (though I do hink the game is speeding up in the North as well if you look at the recent performances and success of teams such as the Saints and Leinster). Mostly though that is due to climatic conditions and things even out at test level particularly at a RWC where everyone is on the same page (during June test and EOY tests the different hemispheres want different things from the tests; whether its testing the fringe/up-and-commers or getting combinations ready for the 6N/3N).

Up to speed does not mean he has been playing slow rugby, it just means he wants to keep on playing competitive rugby until the Tri-Nations starts.

Why is there that this kind of posters are always from SA? They've only had internet recently or what?

Don't take it out on all the South Africans on TRF. It's just a few, just like there are a few English, Welsh, Irish and yes, even French trolls

Last edited by a moderator:
Up to speed does not mean he has been playing slow rugby, it just means he wants to keep on playing competitive rugby until the Tri-Nations starts.

Steyn does take his precious time to do anything though but that is just the player. That is why he would never make a good 10. He looked totally disinterested in the games last time he came out for the Springbokke.

Look ok you are right. A tour at the ends of our season and the beginning of a fresh season for you is the betetr way to judge the sides. Also a experiment tour with all the youngsters is good way to judge. You are right. I dont really want to argue with international rugby. Our current coach isnt all that good and doesnt really understand rugby - i think sometimes he is confused that the ball isnt round, and he wonders when the Bokke will win some corners to shoot into the penalty box.

I was talking of the Super rugby when you started talking of the Test rugby. In super rugby our sides run more and score more tries when your funny leagues play in the rain the whole time to win with penalties. The only reason you guys score tries is cos of all the southern hemisphere players showing you how to score tries. But it makes them slow and not on the ball. When they come back it takes a while for them to speed up again and play proper rugby. The only guy who came back good was percy montgomonery. But he was very bad to start with so it was easy to come back better after learning to kick in Wales.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the Heineken Cup final then? 6 tries and 55 points not attacking enough for you. Or the 41-41 Gloucester Leicester game a few weeks back? 4 Tries in the semi final a few weeks ago? 43-34 between Scarlets and Perpignan? 38-26 between Wasps and Glasgow? 40-19 between Toulouse and Dragons? 43-20 between Leinster and Saracens? These are obviously just a few examples, but the do prove you completely right. Clearly no one in the Northern Hemisphere knows how to score a try. It's not like there were 342 tries scored in the 79 Heineken Cup games this year (an average of 4.3 tries per game). Obviously that's far too boring for you.

Now I'm not saying that all Northern Hemisphere rugby is played at the same pace as Super Rugby, but your smugness and general ignorance deserves putting down. You obviously don't watch much Northern rugby if you still prescribe to those misconceptions that it's all kicking fests.

I agree. But sometimes also they arent really reasonable. They just want to fight.

The irony...

Ezequiel, I'm taking the ****, I know it's not all the saffers, I've been here longer than you. Although I am yet to see a French troll here. Most of us don't have the english ability for a start...

Haha, touche. Maybe we should find a French rugby forum first. I was not talking about them being on TRF in particular. It's just that we dislike them as much as you

Don't take it out on all the South Africans on TRF. It's just a few, just like there are a few English, Welsh, Irish and yes, even French trolls

Yeah, I know what Charles means though. Members like Jer1cho, yourself, stormer2010, JDV Intercept King, Steve-O etc, all very good posters, and a majority of posters from South Africa contribute in a good way. But man, for some reason some SA posters just take the cake in the annoying department. Some of the posts are just outstandingly stupid. I'd have to say New Zealander WUM's get the silver, with just an immense sense of superiority and self-satisfaction.

Last edited:
I didnt know that statistics. Im sorry then the northern hemispher also scores tries.

Is it ok to say then that the southern hemispheer players help with that? Maybe they brought the more attacking skills to your game. Maybe a good comparison is the northern clubs scores from 10 years ago and now. Anyways. It doesnt amtter. The important thing is that it SEEMS that the players coming back arent so up to speed as they were before they played your rugby. Look at Joe van Niekerk. He was a power player here and was a good Bok. He then went to france where they love him and he even got an award for best forward or somethign, but he looked terrible in the Biok side that played in the northern tour. Even our clueless coach commented on how sluggish and decisionles the players are that get used to north rugby. I dont know. But you guys score tries so who knows. 6 tries and 55 points. Shoo. Thats a lot.

The irony...

Ezequiel, I'm taking the ****, I know it's not all the saffers, I've been here longer than you. Although I am yet to see a French troll here. Most of us don't have the english ability for a start...

That won't hold a Saffa back worth his 'salt' LOL.

Look, we (at least the Afrikaners) are as stubborn as wood; we have been breeding for it LOL; ****** off Calvanists who f'ed off out of Europe because we couldn't get along with our neighbours, after not getting along with the people in the Cape we f off up country where we and the Nguni peoples bump heads, we kinda get along but then get attacked by the English again after we find godl and diamonds and man, are we bitter about losing our independence. Many feel we have lost it twice and are unhappy about being a minority without a so-called homeland (other minority groups in other countries usually have a country of origin whereas we don't identify with Holland). Hell, we even distinguish and argue amongst ourselves with many saying the Boer and Afrikaner are two different peoples and can't find common ground. So essentially you have a bunch of hardheaded Europeans going into isolation and breeding this trait while getting attacked from all corners in a country with a harsh, mostly semi-arid climate. Go figure..

Last edited:
I'm guessing you didn't watch the Heineken Cup final then? 6 tries and 55 points not attacking enough for you. Or the 41-41 Gloucester Leicester game a few weeks back? 4 Tries in the semi final a few weeks ago? 43-34 between Scarlets and Perpignan? 38-26 between Wasps and Glasgow? 40-19 between Toulouse and Dragons? 43-20 between Leinster and Saracens? These are obviously just a few examples, but the do prove you completely right. Clearly no one in the Northern Hemisphere knows how to score a try. It's not like there were 342 tries scored in the 79 Heineken Cup games this year (an average of 4.3 tries per game). Obviously that's far too boring for you.

Now I'm not saying that all Northern Hemisphere rugby is played at the same pace as Super Rugby, but your smugness and general ignorance deserves putting down. You obviously don't watch much Northern rugby if you still prescribe to those misconceptions that it's all kicking fests.

Probably not. He is from South Africa.

What they do there is record those games and play them to their small children to help them fall asleep?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I didnt know that statistics. Im sorry then the northern hemispher also scores tries.

Is it ok to say then that the southern hemispheer players help with that? Maybe they brought the more attacking skills to your game. Maybe a good comparison is the northern clubs scores from 10 years ago and now. Anyways. It doesnt amtter. The important thing is that it SEEMS that the players coming back arent so up to speed as they were before they played your rugby. Look at Joe van Niekerk. He was a power player here and was a good Bok. He then went to france where they love him and he even got an award for best forward or somethign, but he looked terrible in the Biok side that played in the northern tour. Even our clueless coach commented on how sluggish and decisionles the players are that get used to north rugby. I dont know. But you guys score tries so who knows. 6 tries and 55 points. Shoo. Thats a lot.

It's strange, some players have a better time of it up here, while others do well in the SH and are pretty mediocre up north. Rico Gear, CJ Van Der Linde and Owen Finnegan come straight to mind as flops while the likes of Brock James and Paul Warwick were far better up here than they were down south. Sonny Bill Williams wasn't great for Toulon but is fantastic for the All Blacks. Go figure.

As for SH players bringing attacking skills to the game in general up here, I'd say it's not had a major impact on playing style. The three best teams in Europe this year - Toulouse, Leinster and Northampton, all were made up predominately of NH players but played some fantastic rugby. A lot more is down to coaching. Speaking from a Leinster point of view, the likes of David Knox, Alan Gaffney and now Joe Schmidt all have done very good things for our player's skill sets. The influx of SH coaches had a far greater impact than the influx of SH players on playing style imo.

It's strange, some players have a better time of it up here, while others do well in the SH and are pretty mediocre up north. Rico Gear, CJ Van Der Linde and Owen Finnegan come straight to mind as flops while the likes of Brock James and Paul Warwick were far better up here than they were down south. Sonny Bill Williams wasn't great for Toulon but is fantastic for the All Blacks. Go figure.

As for SH players bringing attacking skills to the game in general up here, I'd say it's not had a major impact on playing style. The three best teams in Europe this year - Toulouse, Leinster and Northampton, all were made up predominately of NH players but played some fantastic rugby. A lot more is down to coaching. Speaking from a Leinster point of view, the likes of David Knox, Alan Gaffney and now Joe Schmidt all have done very good things for our player's skill sets. The influx of SH coaches had a far greater impact than the influx of SH players on playing style imo.

OK that is fair it makes sense alsso. I was only guessing then i think because i really dont see too much of northern rugby but it APEARS to be slower and more based on set phases. Which is why i comented on scrums and lineouts earlier which was tongue in mouth because i know Bokke like to play physical and set phase play.

OK that is fair it makes sense alsso. I was only guessing then i think because i really dont see too much of northern rugby but it APEARS to be slower and more based on set phases. Which is why i comented on scrums and lineouts earlier which was tongue in mouth because i know Bokke like to play physical and set phase play.

Well there's no point pretending that the skill set of the average NH player is as high of that of your average SH player. But, yeah we're pretty good at scrummaging :D

Well there's no point pretending that the skill set of the average NH player is as high of that of your average SH player. But, yeah we're pretty good at scrummaging :D

Hey look I did agree with yo but dont push it. Remember how Beast give vickerie the chance to see his ass from the inside in the first test? The Bokke scrum power! :D

Hey look I did agree with yo but dont push it. Remember how Beast give vickerie the chance to see his ass from the inside in the first test? The Bokke scrum power! :D
Remember how Vickery gave 'Beast' a chance to see the inside of his own ass in the third? and how Adam Jones damn near turned him inside out in the 2nd? ;)

Saying that though, the NH does create players like Tony Buckley, John Hayes, Tim Payne, Cai Griffiths, so we're not all scrummaging machines :lol:

Latest posts