Frans Steyn set for SA return

Discussion in 'Tri Nations 2009-2011' started by TRF_stormer2010, May 26, 2011.

1. Mrs. Peter Quinn

Mrs. Peter Quinn International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

London Wasps

I've often wondered how 'the beast' became such a fans favourite and given that epithet, when hes' fairly average size for a prop? I know its not all about weight and size but he's never really stood out as a player to me. I'd rather have the 'beast of Bromley' anyday!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Please-Buy-Baywatch

Please-Buy-Baywatch Academy Player

Country Flag:

Afghanistan

Was not for his rugby really. The crowd used to love cheering his name "BEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSTTTT" when he would charge with the ball. Caught on and his popularity with the fans grew because of that more than his performances.

He is very good in the loose, and on our outfields which not that heavy he has more of an impact on the game. His work rate off the ball is very high and he does a lot of work in the tight. Scrumming needs some work, but his strengths have always been his ball carrying and his work rate.

4. Banana Surfer

Banana Surfer Academy Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

Ja he arent bad for a black oke cos usually the blacks here are small compared to afrikaners and maybe one or two english (Smit ens.). But he stands out maybe because he is from further north (Zim) and isnt really a south African.

5. Seaton

Seaton First XV

Club or Nation:

Sharks

As far as I remember, it was his nickname at school
    And IIRC, he also played at 8 most of the time for his school

6. SpanishBob

SpanishBob Academy Player

Country Flag:

Europe

I Love Super Rugby but in my opinion 2010/2011 HC has been a much bettter competition than Super Rugby 2011. By far

And the fact that the two best sides, Leinster and Northampton, are full of irish and english players proves that the quality of the game has nothing to do with southern hempisphere recruits.

7. Cacambo

Cacambo Academy Player

Country Flag:

United States

Club or Nation:

Munster

Any word on what franchise Steyn will link up with for the Currie Cup/next years Super Rugby?

8. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

No word yet. He might even go overseas again after the RWC for all we know.

- Stormers don't need him, we have 4 good centers as is to juggle
    - Sharks desperately need any centers they can lay their hands on (currently playing two players out of place) but I have a feeling there is bad blood there and Steyn won't return

The options then are Cheetahs, Bulls and Lions. Of those the Cheetahs, who could really do with a quality 12 and tighter defense probably don't have the money (I would love it if they managed to resign him as he started out there before moving to the Sharks), the Bulls have money but with Olivier there I doubt they would fork out (they usually don't like to 'overpay'). The Lions have the backing of a billionaire and I believe that they have allready offered him silly money (speaking under correction as that was only a rumor I heard) which he turned down but that could possibly be because he was still playing for RM in Paris. My money would be on him linking up with the Lions and the Sharks luring Doppies La Grange down to Durban. But that is just my speculation.

9. Please-Buy-Baywatch

Please-Buy-Baywatch Academy Player

Country Flag:

Afghanistan

Everyone is assuming he is going to play centre.

With Doppies and Murray, and some depth building at flyhalf, you may find if Steyn went to the Lions he would play as a fullback.

He is better suited to fullback with that boot anyway IMO.

10. Charles

Charles Bench Player

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

France

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but do you guys have any source about Steyn coming back to SA? Haven't seen anything in french newspapers/forums...

11. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Read the OP. It says he's coming back for now but doesn't say he's necessarily staying on after the RWC. That is just speculation.

Good point. I have heard that he would prefer to play at 12 though and that might tip it should he stay on. If he is willing to play at 15 then he would be very welcome indeed at the Stormers. Jantjes is old and has always been limited and Aplon is not a fullback. Lionel Cronje is a good shout at fullvack for us but it looks like the staff and player are deadset on having him at 10. That probably means that Grant will be leaving us in the near future.

12. Charles

Charles Bench Player

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

France

So he'just coming back for holidays and the 3 nations. i believe he's still got 1 year on his contract at racing metro...

13. Banana Surfer

Banana Surfer Academy Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

Does anyone knows how he faired in Frans? Did he only play 12 or did they move him around like they did here at sharks. I dont really watch that leagues but i will be interested to know if he was more consistant up there than down here. The one thing i would like to see when he is back is more consistents.

14. stormers666

stormers666 Academy Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

That's fkn HILARIOUS!!! that's gonna be my first siggy...

-666-

15. Sweetmusicman1

Sweetmusicman1 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Namibia

Club or Nation:

Stormers

I wonder what you'r going to say if he's going to WIN the world cup. One other thing, the Springbok players are selcted by a coaching stuff and not just him.

16. Sweetmusicman1

Sweetmusicman1 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Namibia

Club or Nation:

Stormers

I would think we can use him as a fullback. Aplon is too small for a fullback even thought he isnt too bad for his size.

17. RJAH777

RJAH777 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Reds

By all accounts, young Francois has done very well. Make no mistake, this is very good news for the Boks. He brings an X factor with his running game and creative play. Do I need to mention the long range penalties and drop goals?

18. stormers666

stormers666 Academy Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

''Your signature cannot be longer than 1000 characters including BB code markup.''

pity...

19. Adizero29196

Adizero29196 Academy Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

totally agree....

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!