• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Frans Steyn set for SA return

I've often wondered how 'the beast' became such a fans favourite and given that epithet, when hes' fairly average size for a prop? I know its not all about weight and size but he's never really stood out as a player to me. I'd rather have the 'beast of Bromley' anyday!

I've often wondered how 'the beast' became such a fans favourite and given that epithet, when hes' fairly average size for a prop? I know its not all about weight and size but he's never really stood out as a player to me. I'd rather have the 'beast of Bromley' anyday!

Was not for his rugby really. The crowd used to love cheering his name "BEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSTTTT" when he would charge with the ball. Caught on and his popularity with the fans grew because of that more than his performances.

He is very good in the loose, and on our outfields which not that heavy he has more of an impact on the game. His work rate off the ball is very high and he does a lot of work in the tight. Scrumming needs some work, but his strengths have always been his ball carrying and his work rate.

Ja he arent bad for a black oke cos usually the blacks here are small compared to afrikaners and maybe one or two english (Smit ens.). But he stands out maybe because he is from further north (Zim) and isnt really a south African.

As far as I remember, it was his nickname at school
And IIRC, he also played at 8 most of the time for his school

I didnt know that statistics. Im sorry then the northern hemispher also scores tries.

Is it ok to say then that the southern hemispheer players help with that? Maybe they brought the more attacking skills to your game. Maybe a good comparison is the northern clubs scores from 10 years ago and now. Anyways. It doesnt amtter. The important thing is that it SEEMS that the players coming back arent so up to speed as they were before they played your rugby. Look at Joe van Niekerk. He was a power player here and was a good Bok. He then went to france where they love him and he even got an award for best forward or somethign, but he looked terrible in the Biok side that played in the northern tour. Even our clueless coach commented on how sluggish and decisionles the players are that get used to north rugby. I dont know. But you guys score tries so who knows. 6 tries and 55 points. Shoo. Thats a lot.

I Love Super Rugby but in my opinion 2010/2011 HC has been a much bettter competition than Super Rugby 2011. By far

And the fact that the two best sides, Leinster and Northampton, are full of irish and english players proves that the quality of the game has nothing to do with southern hempisphere recruits.

Any word on what franchise Steyn will link up with for the Currie Cup/next years Super Rugby?

Any word on what franchise Steyn will link up with for the Currie Cup/next years Super Rugby?

No word yet. He might even go overseas again after the RWC for all we know.

- Stormers don't need him, we have 4 good centers as is to juggle
- Sharks desperately need any centers they can lay their hands on (currently playing two players out of place) but I have a feeling there is bad blood there and Steyn won't return

The options then are Cheetahs, Bulls and Lions. Of those the Cheetahs, who could really do with a quality 12 and tighter defense probably don't have the money (I would love it if they managed to resign him as he started out there before moving to the Sharks), the Bulls have money but with Olivier there I doubt they would fork out (they usually don't like to 'overpay'). The Lions have the backing of a billionaire and I believe that they have allready offered him silly money (speaking under correction as that was only a rumor I heard) which he turned down but that could possibly be because he was still playing for RM in Paris. My money would be on him linking up with the Lions and the Sharks luring Doppies La Grange down to Durban. But that is just my speculation.

Everyone is assuming he is going to play centre.

With Doppies and Murray, and some depth building at flyhalf, you may find if Steyn went to the Lions he would play as a fullback.

He is better suited to fullback with that boot anyway IMO.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but do you guys have any source about Steyn coming back to SA? Haven't seen anything in french newspapers/forums...

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but do you guys have any source about Steyn coming back to SA? Haven't seen anything in french newspapers/forums...

Read the OP. It says he's coming back for now but doesn't say he's necessarily staying on after the RWC. That is just speculation.

Everyone is assuming he is going to play centre.

With Doppies and Murray, and some depth building at flyhalf, you may find if Steyn went to the Lions he would play as a fullback.

He is better suited to fullback with that boot anyway IMO.

Good point. I have heard that he would prefer to play at 12 though and that might tip it should he stay on. If he is willing to play at 15 then he would be very welcome indeed at the Stormers. Jantjes is old and has always been limited and Aplon is not a fullback. Lionel Cronje is a good shout at fullvack for us but it looks like the staff and player are deadset on having him at 10. That probably means that Grant will be leaving us in the near future.

So he'just coming back for holidays and the 3 nations. i believe he's still got 1 year on his contract at racing metro...

Does anyone knows how he faired in Frans? Did he only play 12 or did they move him around like they did here at sharks. I dont really watch that leagues but i will be interested to know if he was more consistant up there than down here. The one thing i would like to see when he is back is more consistents.

Look, we (at least the Afrikaners) are as stubborn as wood; we have been breeding for it LOL; ****** off Calvanists who f'ed off out of Europe because we couldn't get along with our neighbours, after not getting along with the people in the Cape we f off up country where we and the Nguni peoples bump heads, we kinda get along but then get attacked by the English again after we find godl and diamonds and man, are we bitter about losing our independence. Many feel we have lost it twice and are unhappy about being a minority without a so-called homeland (other minority groups in other countries usually have a country of origin whereas we don't identify with Holland). Hell, we even distinguish and argue amongst ourselves with many saying the Boer and Afrikaner are two different peoples and can't find common ground. So essentially you have a bunch of hardheaded Europeans going into isolation and breeding this trait while getting attacked from all corners in a country with a harsh, mostly semi-arid climate. Go figure..

That's fkn HILARIOUS!!! that's gonna be my first siggy...

-666-

Look ok you are right. A tour at the ends of our season and the beginning of a fresh season for you is the betetr way to judge the sides. Also a experiment tour with all the youngsters is good way to judge. You are right. I dont really want to argue with international rugby. Our current coach isnt all that good and doesnt really understand rugby - i think sometimes he is confused that the ball isnt round, and he wonders when the Bokke will win some corners to shoot into the penalty box.

I was talking of the Super rugby when you started talking of the Test rugby. In super rugby our sides run more and score more tries when your funny leagues play in the rain the whole time to win with penalties. The only reason you guys score tries is cos of all the southern hemisphere players showing you how to score tries. But it makes them slow and not on the ball. When they come back it takes a while for them to speed up again and play proper rugby. The only guy who came back good was percy montgomonery. But he was very bad to start with so it was easy to come back better after learning to kick in Wales.

I wonder what you'r going to say if he's going to WIN the world cup. One other thing, the Springbok players are selcted by a coaching stuff and not just him.

No word yet. He might even go overseas again after the RWC for all we know.

- Stormers don't need him, we have 4 good centers as is to juggle
- Sharks desperately need any centers they can lay their hands on (currently playing two players out of place) but I have a feeling there is bad blood there and Steyn won't return

The options then are Cheetahs, Bulls and Lions. Of those the Cheetahs, who could really do with a quality 12 and tighter defense probably don't have the money (I would love it if they managed to resign him as he started out there before moving to the Sharks), the Bulls have money but with Olivier there I doubt they would fork out (they usually don't like to 'overpay'). The Lions have the backing of a billionaire and I believe that they have allready offered him silly money (speaking under correction as that was only a rumor I heard) which he turned down but that could possibly be because he was still playing for RM in Paris. My money would be on him linking up with the Lions and the Sharks luring Doppies La Grange down to Durban. But that is just my speculation.

I would think we can use him as a fullback. Aplon is too small for a fullback even thought he isnt too bad for his size.

By all accounts, young Francois has done very well. Make no mistake, this is very good news for the Boks. He brings an X factor with his running game and creative play. Do I need to mention the long range penalties and drop goals?

''Your signature cannot be longer than 1000 characters including BB code markup.''

pity...

Latest posts