• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Funniest/Wierdest thing to happen on a rugby field/training whilst playing

Playing at an away game I was chasing a line breaker as he headed down field. With inches between us he touched the ball down at the corner flag and promptly stopped running. Me on the other hand still at full belt and only looking at him, ran past him, into the hedge and straight into a metal fence. It was painful but at least I could laugh it off. Besides, it wasn't my fault as the touch zone was only about 2 meters wide.

Once in training we were doing 1 on 1 tackling drill. It was my turn running with the ball and I sidestepped and scored against our TH Prop, the coach(An 18 stone MMA fighting prop) told us to do it again and again I ran around him. We repeated this 5 times with the same result. My reward was running against and being smashed in the ribs by the coach.

While you were smashed I'd like to remind you that you stepped the reserve hooker or 3'd tighthesd as I am the starting tighthead and everytime you come near me on or off the pitch I smash you.;)

While you were smashed I'd like to remind you that you stepped the reserve hooker or 3'd tighthesd as I am the starting tighthead and everytime you come near me on or off the pitch I smash you.;)

Your extremely proud of being on a 1st XV that lost 67-0 in a Leinster schools cup 1/4 final. Actually that was definatly the funniest thing to ever happen on a rugby pitch. The 1st XV in our school were all as cocky as the Magicman up there and loved to rub it in our faces that we weren't in a team that had lost every match in the season apart from scraping past 3 very poor opponents. Then in the week they were set to meet the favorites they thought they were going to win. Anyway as explained they lost 67-0 in a 60 or 70 minute match. It was very nice to see them not so cocky for the rest of the year.

Your extremely proud of being on a 1st XV that lost 67-0 in a Leinster schools cup 1/4 final. Actually that was definatly the funniest thing to ever happen on a rugby pitch. The 1st XV in our school were all as cocky as the Magicman up there and loved to rub it in our faces that we weren't in a team that had lost every match in the season apart from scraping past 3 very poor opponents. Then in the week they were set to meet the favorites they thought they were going to win. Anyway as explained they lost 67-0 in a 60 or 70 minute match. It was very nice to see them not so cocky for the rest of the year.

I like this story of big headedness being taken back down to earth...please continue

Probably the time when I was attempting to make a cover tackle and I got tackled into touch by a team mate to allow their winger to score in the corner. I guess he must have closed his eyes when trying to make the tackle. The worst thing was that it happened in a cup final in Ravenhill.

I played in a really bizarre match in high school.

We were playing a 'development' game against a nearby squatter camp school on their sandy fields; it was like playing beach rugby. Anyway apart from playing against guys who were clearly not the ages they should be, death threats coming from the supporters on the sidelines and my opposition winger thinking that picking me up (I wasn't a small winger) and dropping me onto his knee is a legitimate tackle three other things of note happened;

1 I got the ball off of a turn-over in our 22 aas it was swung wide and ran down the right side. The fullback was running in at an angle to cut me off while I was sure I'd make it to the corner which was full of ****, literally. I decided to slow down a tad and beat him on the inside to go for the posts (and avoid the ****). What I didn't know was that the guy who tried to kill me earlier was hot on my trail and got me from behind and I went forward face first into the ****. At least I managed to place the ball for the try but on rethinking I should have kept pacing and tried to jump the **** and score in the back corner.

2 Later on the same guy came at me on the blindside of a 5m scrum on our goal line head down charging. I came up but didn't manage to get an actual tackle on hm he was so low and close but he ran into my hip, knocking him unconscious and spilling the ball. We got scrummed off the ball and conceded a try next move but oh, well.

3 After various incidents off extreme foul play (both ways) all games got called off when the principal's son got bit (after parents were calling for it after far worse).

You've gotta love the Cape.

Last edited:
got one, a 1st XV player from our school threatened the ref to burn his house down and rape his wife, got a 1 year ban and a red card. well it is not funny, so much as terrible.

also, this year, i was playing golden oldies for my dads team at the tender age of 15.(against Southbridge, with Neville Carter at 10.) A big former Canterbury Maori player sprinted right at me. I flipped him on his back and he knocked it on. The next time he runs it at me in a 1 on 1, he fends me in the face. I manage to clutch at his ankle, forcing him to tumble forwards... and knock it on again :p

Last edited:
I played in a really bizarre match in high school.

We were playing a 'development' game against a nearby squatter camp school on their sandy fields; it was like playing beach rugby. Anyway apart from playing against guys who were clearly not the ages they should be, death threats coming from the supporters on the sidelines and my opposition winger thinking that picking me up (I wasn't a small winger) and dropping me onto his knee is a legitimate tackle three other things of note happened;

1 I got the ball off of a turn-over in our 22 aas it was swung wide and ran down the right side. The fullback was running in at an angle to cut me off while I was sure I'd make it to the corner which was full of ****, literally. I decided to slow down a tad and beat him on the inside to go for the posts (and avoid the ****). What I didn't know was that the guy who tried to kill me earlier was hot on my trail and got me from behind and I went forward face first into the ****. At least I managed to place the ball for the try but on rethinking I should have kept pacing and tried to jump the **** and score in the back corner.

2 Later on the same guy came at me on the blindside of a 5m scrum on our goal line head down charging. I came up but didn't manage to get an actual tackle on hm he was so low and close but he ran into my hip, knocking him unconscious and spilling the ball. We got scrummed off the ball and conceded a try next move but oh, well.

3 After various incidents off extreme foul play (both ways) all games got called off when the principal's son got bit (after parents were calling for it after far worse).

You've gotta love the Cape.

I still find it very strange that people called Cape sides 'soft'

Did you really think I wouldn't find out about this? May I remind you that you are the cockiest person on earth. You recently told me how you'd be on Ireland at 18. Also you're slagging a team you couldn't get near and if I hear "bad coach" again I'll kill you. No one in their right mind would pick you you're shite. Also I'm not cocky I know my strengths and weaknesses while you can't acknowledge yours Quite sad you still go on about this. By the way if you read the Irish Times match report I went off early injured.

Did you really think I wouldn't find out about this? May I remind you that you are the cockiest person on earth. You recently told me how you'd be on Ireland at 18. Also you're slagging a team you couldn't get near and if I hear "bad coach" again I'll kill you. No one in their right mind would pick you you're shite. Also I'm not cocky I know my strengths and weaknesses while you can't acknowledge yours Quite sad you still go on about this. By the way if you read the Irish Times match report I went off early injured.

Point 1. I think I may have said that once, as a joke you've used itagainst me about 6 times. ;)
Point 2. A good coach wouldn't lead a team to a 67-0 defeat.
Point 3. We both know thats not true. ;)

The 1st XV have now reached a point of denial. :D

Another weird thing that happened on a rugby pitch was when my team had to clear the pitch for a helicopter landing. I think it was rugby, maybe Gaelic football.

Point 1. I think I may have said that once, as a joke you've used itagainst me about 6 times. ;)
Point 2. A good coach wouldn't lead a team to a 67-0 defeat.
Point 3. We both know thats not true. ;)

The 1st XV have now reached a point of denial. :D

Another weird thing that happened on a rugby pitch was when my team had to clear the pitch for a helicopter landing. I think it was rugby, maybe Gaelic football.

Never said he was good you are shite. You can't tackle, run, place kick or distribute. The only skill you have is kicking out of hand but you still have a range of about 30m.

Is this match on the irishtimes website?
I can't find it :(

Last edited:
Never said he was good you are shite. You can't tackle, run, place kick or distribute. The only skill you have is kicking out of hand but you still have a range of about 30m.

Cmac is he your mate and just a deliberately insulting twat online or is he a dick at the best of times too?

You didn't go off early injured, you were subbed weren't you. It was a mistake in the paper. :D You shouldn't tell lies when I'm around. :p

Never said I was injured the times did still I just have to say you're shite and if you come in tomorrow most likely dead.:D

''You can't tackle''*http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?22364-Tackling*Working on it
''Run'' Not true,*I may not be the best but I'm not bad
''Place kick''*http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21320-Place-Kicking*and you've never seen me do it.
''Distribute'' Not true It's probably my best attribute, especially with a good scrum half.

Don't make stupid points.

p.s I have no idea why this is Italic. I couldn't fix it.

Cmac is he your mate and just a deliberately insulting twat online or is he a dick at the best of times too?

I'm hurt. In real life I'm actually quite shy and nice to most people. But it's almost as if you're not real people and I only insult cmac and Englsh players.

''You can't tackle''*http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?22364-Tackling*Working on it
''Run'' Not true,*I may not be the best but I'm not bad
''Place kick''*http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21320-Place-Kicking*and you've never seen me do it.
''Distribute'' Not true It's probably my best attribute, especially with a good scrum half.

Don't make stupid points.

p.s I have no idea why this is Italic. I couldn't fix it.

You can't run you lose the ball in contact 90% of the time and you do this weird spin thing which worked in 5th class but not now. Saying you can't distribute isn't from me it's from centres who have played outside you.

Latest posts