• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gatland to leave Wales job?

Hope this is true tbh. Gatland was great for Wales from 2008-2012ish, but the last four years has seen little progression at best, a downward trajectory is more truthful!

I could also see it being difficult for Gatland to return to the Wales job after the Lions tour. Last time in 2013, Gatland was able to pick a pile of Wales players without looking completely biased (debatable maybe, but Wales were the strongest home nation at the time at least). In contrast, very few Wales players would rightly make the touring party, let alone the test side, this time round; and I don't see that changing in the 6 nations. How could Gats then return to the Welsh fold and successfully instill confidence in his players that they can compete with England/Ireland (let alone Aus & NZ) when the same players were on the whole inferior to their English/Irish counterparts.

I'd love to see Young as head coach. After a slow start with Cardiff/Blues, he's really blossomed. His final couple of seasons at the Blues, saw them playing a successful and attractive brand of rugby. Similarly Wasps are playing some great stuff.

I'd love to see Danny Wilson alongside him as forwards coach (though tough on the Blues). Not sure atm about defense coach. it feels like Shaun Edwards has run out of ideas, whilst his no nonsense approach in training which appeared to have such a positive influence at the beginning, may be having less of an impact (who wants to be shouted at continuously?). Whilst the Ospreys are playing some good stuff with Gruff Rees as attack coach, I may be inclined to scour the world for a backs coach with a proven track record of evolution, and staying one step ahead of the curve. Couldn't name anyone at the moment tbh.

Good timing for Wales as they shift to a new generation of players. Hopefully they can get replacements in place for the 6N rather than waste precious development time with Howley.

Could be a couple of NZ Super Rugby jobs coming up in the next year or two which may have influenced Gatland.

unless wales have an abismal six nations i cannot see if happening, the payout would be massive if they get rid of him. although im assuming if he resigns himself then he doesnt get the payout?

Good timing for Wales as they shift to a new generation of players. Hopefully they can get replacements in place for the 6N rather than waste precious development time with Howley.

Could be a couple of NZ Super Rugby jobs coming up in the next year or two which may have influenced Gatland.

From a selfish point of view I would like to see a Howley inspired Wales visit Murrayfield in the 6N. I'm still in disbelief that Townsend was offered the chance to assist Howley with the Lions. It should have been the other way around.

From a selfish point of view I would like to see a Howley inspired Wales visit Murrayfield in the 6N. I'm still in disbelief that Townsend was offered the chance to assist Howley with the Lions. It should have been the other way around.

Other than Mirth, has Howley inspired anything since retiring from playing?

Latest posts