• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GP Semi Final - Gloucester Rugby vs Leicester Tigers

Penalty kick to Gloucester 5 metres from the touchline.

OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD OH GAD ...

missed... :/

Also, Tuilagi > Vainikolo.

If Leicester win I have lost faith in everything ever.

YYYAAAASSSS!!!!!!!
DROP GOAL AS f***!

Listening to this on the radio, brilliant game!

Come on gloucester! Theyve got a penalty...

Noooooooo, he missed it

If Leicester win I have lost faith in everything ever.
[/b]
No need to fret then, Willie Walker drop-goal, 25 - 23 to Glaws.

HOLY ****
DROP GOAL FROM GOODE!!! 25 - 26!

Well, there go another 22 rounds of waste of time for another year. The ***le will once again go to a non league-winning side.

Wow, would anyone call that the most dramatic semi-final ever? Geez.

storm, it's 25 - 26 to Leicester. o_O

very exciting game I was on my feet cheering for Gloucester to pull through but they were not clinical enough during that second half....

Gloucester 25-26 Leicester

Gloucester (12) 25

Tries: Simpson-Daniel Cons: Lamb Pens: Lamb 5 Drop-goals: Walker

Leicester (3) 26
Tries: Tuilagi, Mauger Cons: Goode 2 Pens: Goode 3 Drop-goals: Goode

By James Standley
999999.gif

_44667531_goode_270_pa.jpg

Goode's late intervention means Leicester head to Twickenham

Defending champions Leicester fought back from a 12-3 half-time deficit to earn a Premiership final against Wasps.

Four Ryan Lamb penalties put Gloucester in control before Alesana Tuilagi's try gave Leicester some hope.

James Simpson-Daniel's try restored the hosts' nine-point lead but Leicester went in front through Aaron Mauger's converted try and a Goode kick.

Willie Walker's drop-goal put the hosts back in front but Goode landed a 78th minute drop-goal to see Leicester home.

It was an extraordinary fightback by Leicester, who despite being reigning Premiership champions went into the game as big outsiders.

Whereas Gloucester topped the regular-season table for the third time in six years, Leicester required a last-gasp Tom Varndell try against Harlequins just to scrape into the play-offs in fourth place.

No away side had ever won a play-off semi-final, and when Gloucester dominated the first 40 minutes it looked extremely unlikely that Leicester would break the mould.

Gloucester could not cross the Leicester line in the first half, but that was down to a combination of brave defence and cynical play by the visitors.

Two Lamb penalties to one from Goode - who also missed a simple effort - saw the hosts lead just 6-3 after quarter of an hour.

But Leicester lost Jordan Crane and Harry Ellis to yellow cards and two further Lamb penalties gave Gloucester a 12-3 advantage at the break.

After their 44-16 battering by Leicester in the 2007 final, Gloucester had added plenty of brawn in the likes of Akapusi Qera and Lesley Vainikolo so they could compete on level terms with the powerful Tigers.

It looked as though the new-look Cherry and Whites were going to avenge last year's defeat, but Leicester dug deep to produce one of the most compelling halves of rugby seen all season.

The two fly-halves kicked a penalty apiece before Tuilagi, who destroyed Gloucester in last year's final, battered his way through three tackles to score in the corner, with Goode converting.

That cut the gap to just two points but Gloucester hit back when the superb Qera sent Simpson-Daniel, who played outside centre in place of the absent Mike Tindall, cruising over.

Lamb added the extras to make it 22-13 with an hour played.

The hosts seemed poised to stretch clear but panic in defence after a poor Lamb kick saw Iain Balshaw throw a pass onto his own posts and Mauger pounced to score as simple a try as he will ever collect.

Goode's conversion cut the gap to two points and he landed a 67th-minute penalty to put them 23-22 ahead, the first time they had been in front all game.

It was a remarkable recovery but a ***anic struggle kicked up a gear as the game approached the final whistle.

With five minutes to go the hosts worked a position for Walker to nudge them back into a two-point lead and send the Gloucester hordes at a packed Kingsholm delirious, but Leicester were not going to be denied an historic victory.

They engineered a chance for Goode and the fly-half drilled his drop-kick between the posts to send the champions to Twickenham to meet long-term rivals Wasps for the right to be crowned 2008 champions.

Gloucester: Walker; Balshaw, Simpson-Daniel, Allen, Vainikolo; Lamb, Lawson; Wood, ***terrell, Nieto, Bortolami (capt), Brown, Strokosch, Qera, Delve.
Replacements: Azam, Forster, James, Narraway, Cooper, Foster, tbc.

Leicester:
Murphy; Varndell, Hipkiss, Mauger, Tuilagi; Goode, Ellis; Stankovich, Davies, White, Wentzel, Kay, Corry (capt), Herring, Crane.
Replacements: Chuter, Ayerza, Blaze, Croft, Laussucq, Vesty, Erinle.

Referee: Dave Pearson (RFU)

That was fun.

Usually I'd say Gloucs have the talent but not the cojones, but couldn't really fault them - it's just that Tigers have bigger cojones.

Lamb is maybe enjoying his game too much to really stick the knife in - and why wasn't he the one to line up for the "match winning" drop?

Tuilagi's try was ooooomph. And Murphy made some very important catches.

Great match - had everything.

Murphy was outstanding today. One of those matches where the guy is on top of his game and never puts a foot wrong.

How Hipkiss isn't in the England frame is a mystery to me, he's just so strong and able to stay on his feet a ridiculously long time. And he just about managed to shackle Sinbad for most of the match which is no mean feat at the moment.

Not at all happy that Tigers have jammed their way through to the final again, but you can't fault them for their comeback today.

Just got home and Im distraught. Good on the Tigers they are one tough bunch of guys. Maybe too many hard games in a row for Glaws. Havent got the heart to watch the game on tv yet but time is a great healer.Another wasted season,********.

Another reason why JSD is conspicuous by his absence from the England side.
[/b]

He needs an operation.

Also, Tuilagi > Vainikolo.
[/b]

Vainikolo was marking the man outside Tuilagi, ***terrell (I think) missed the tackle so all Vainikolo could do was drape a stretched arm in the path of the Samoan, but the way Tuilagi destroyed Lambs attempt at a tackle was uber awesome.

Gutted that I have to watch the bully boys against the cynical swines in another final. :(

Gloucester had two chances to kil the game but failed to do so. They'll never win a ***le playing so naive.

Qera was once again awesome in every thing he did.

What the hell was Balshaw doing, idiot.

<div class='quotemain'>
In other news, Goode couldn't hit a barn door. [/b]

You should be a commentator!!!!!!!

[/b][/quote]

Nah, I could never be as Pro-Leicester as Barnes was.

Latest posts