• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 14: Round 2

Right, rant time....
Cardiff Blues:
Blues are garbage at the moment. I just don't think they have the calibre of players to compete with the best in the league, but they're also so low in confidence that even against sides they should be on par with/beating. Look Leinster have great squad depth, but for 70min. last night they were terrible, but they Blues were equally poor and couldn't capitalise.

I was thinking during the game, how many of the current Blues squad would make the Scarlets starting 15? Rhun Williams at fullback would fit in nicely with the Scarlets style, but he wouldn't yet be ahead of Steff, NcNicholl or Halfpenny; but he'd have a chance of making the bench. Halaholo maybe, but he'd struggle to get in ahead of Davies, Williams or Parks. A fully fit Warbs maybe, but even then the Scarlets wouldn't select him ahead of Davies at 7, so he'd have to challenge Shingler at 6. Dillon Lewis has shown potential, and could slot onto the bench. That's all I think, so maybe 2 player, possibly none? Shows why there's such a difference between the two sides!

My faith in Sherratt is diminishing very quickly. The attacking plan for the last few games has been to throw it to the centres and hope for them to come up with something. Anscombe is a massive loss at ten, he runs the attacking shape very well. I don't think Halaholo and Lee-lo are a good match. Plenty of issues with very little change in the past two weeks and that is concerning. I'm still reeling over the manner of the Edinburgh defeat.

Hard to compare players like that when one team is playing very well as a team and the other is falling apart at the seams.

Have to name sufficient cover in 28 or cover extra costs

OK, so the league wouldn't foot the bill, but the team would?

[Does that mean the league are footing the bill for transporting and accommodating the 28 players?]

Ag, on top of the dissatisfaction of the Bokke drawing with Aus I not only watched the Cheetahs get murdered but also found time to see the Kings get hammered and was surprised to find I took little pleasure from Western Province piling more misery on the Cheetahs remnant at home in the Currie Cup. Talk about a hollow victory.

Not sure what the issues all are but hope they sort it out over time. Less time rather than more.

Hard to compare players like that when one team is playing very well as a team and the other is falling apart at the seams.

I was trying to judge the players not on how the Blues are currently performing, but based on their potential; and many of them come up short imo. Adding a few more players:

- Gethin Jenkins. A fit Gethin Jenkins would be an asset to many sides, but he's getting on now and Rob Evans is clearly the better option atm and going forwards. Wyn Jones has been superb as well, but a fit Gethin would likely make the bench ahead of him, but for how much longer?
- Kristian Dacey. Dacey has been one of the Blues' best players over the last few years, but in Ken Owens they have Wales' current no. 1 and Lion, whilst Elias is imo the next first choice Wales hooker.
- Seb Davies. Plenty of potential here certainly, but not ahead of the likes of Ball, Beirne, Snyman or Rawlins yet. Don't rate the other Blues locks at all.
- Josh Navidi. Always shows heart and commitment, but comes up just short imo.
- Ellis Jenkins. Would fight it out with Boyde to back-up James Davies. Jenkins is a classy operator, but I'm not convinced his breakdown work quite holds up versus his peers. Could yet develop into a star though...
- Tomos Williams. I really like the look of Williams, would fit in well at the Scarlets. Scarlets do have a strong contingent of 9's though.
- Gareth Anscombe. Would make the Scarlets bench, and would challenge Patchell at 10, but his injury woes continue to hold him back. His defence is a real worry as well.
- Matthew Morgan. I've always liked Morgan, but he is just too big a liability in defence.

There's obviously some talent at the region, and there's some promising youngsters emerging, but they're a way off, personnel wise, before they'll be challenging for silverware. They're going through the type of rebuilding process the Scarlets did a few years ago, and it'll take time. I have faith in Danny Wilson, I think he's a quality coach, but maybe the likes of Sherratt need looking at.

OK, so the league wouldn't foot the bill, but the team would?

[Does that mean the league are footing the bill for transporting and accommodating the 28 players?]
Yeah the league are footing the bill with a contribution per player for 28 players and 12 staff I think it is (might be less).
Any additional players are footed by the union but these can be expensive. It has effect on areas such as insurance and areas like that. Not to mind logistical costs. To bring an extra player could add up to an extra €4-5k because they wouldn't be on the group insurance and things like that. Also the league won't add for any injury call up and well a last minute flight from Ireland to South Africa would be very costly. Lot's of factors to be honest

How can the Cheetahs still be this bad on defense after all this time? Surely they should've hired a capable defense coach by now after all these years. Even with the new comp and missing boks they shouldn't be conceding so much.

Makes me wish we could see some P14/SR crossover games at the end of the year to see how the NH clubs would stack up against some competent SH clubs

How can the Cheetahs still be this bad on defense after all this time? Surely they should've hired a capable defense coach by now after all these years. Even with the new comp and missing boks they shouldn't be conceding so much.

Makes me wish we could see some P14/SR crossover games at the end of the year to see how the NH clubs would stack up against some competent SH clubs

A Cheetah doesn't change its spots.

Stormers, Sharks and Bulls have all beaten NH clubs the rare times there has been those types of fixtures from what I can remember over the last few years. I remember Stormers beating Saracens at home and the other two having successful trips (Sharks' mini tour the most recent I can recall) to top French teams like Toulon but TBH I've always found it difficult to read much into those matches as the teams are always at different stages of their season and the NH teams tended to not field full strength teams.

Leinster squad for the games in SA:

Props: Ed Byrne, Michael Bent, Peter Dooley, Cian Healy, Andrew Porter
Hookers: Sean Cronin, James Tracy
Second Rows: Mick Kearney, Ross Molony, James Ryan
Backrows: Jack Conan, Max Deegan, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier
Scrumhalves: Jamison Gibson-Park, Luke McGrath
Flyhalves: Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Cathal Marsh
Centres: Rory O'Loughlin, Isa Nacewa, Noel Reid
Back Three: Adam Byrne, Barry Daly, Dave Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Fergus McFadden

17 internationals tour.

Ulsters probably third choice scrum half is in the gym with me and I'm taller than him. He's a lot stronger but still. This is why Ulster are a shadow of their former selves. Sign me up.

Backrows: Jack Conan, Max Deegan, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier
Back Three: Adam Byrne, Barry Daly, Dave Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Fergus McFadden

17 internationals tour.
Idea of a touring squad for a league game seems so alien. Kearney and Fardy the big but already known absentees I suppose.

17 internationals tour.
Missed this and posted it in the Leinster thread. Must be great as a young lad getting 11 days in SA to play rugby.

Ulsters probably third choice scrum half is in the gym with me and I'm taller than him. He's a lot stronger but still. This is why Ulster are a shadow of their former selves. Sign me up.
He's a scrum half. He SHOULD be a midget...

He's a scrum half. He SHOULD be a midget...
This is what every scrum half everywhere of ever of any age should be
conor-murray2.jpg

Anything less is a step down from perfection. A 10 for looks and an 11 for box kicking ability is now the baseline. Young children hoping to be scrum halves who aren't 6"2, nearing 100kg with the ability to grow facial hair should be sent to a less glorious position. Especially Aa(i)ron Smith pictured here staring lovingly at Murray's perfectly formed buttocks.

Idea of a touring squad for a league game seems so alien. Kearney and Fardy the big but already known absentees I suppose.

Welcome to our world, where young players can get to have tours of New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Japan and Singapore if they can crack into the squad.

I love this South African tour concept. It is great added feature to the expanding league. Also will be curious to see how South African teams react to opening games away. Never expected much of them for first 6 months due to the way the seasons panned out.

This is what every scrum half everywhere of ever of any age should be
conor-murray2.jpg

Anything less is a step down from perfection. A 10 for looks and an 11 for box kicking ability is now the baseline. Young children hoping to be scrum halves who aren't 6"2, nearing 100kg with the ability to grow facial hair should be sent to a less glorious position. Especially Aa(i)ron Smith pictured here staring lovingly at Murray's perfectly formed buttocks.
I was always partial to the Westerosi scrum half, seen here second from left, looking on at the haka with a centre, two outside backs and a flanker...

images

Latest posts