• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB Request - Name me some unique goal kickers

I think all the unique kicking style have been meationed.

I for one don't really like the default kicking style in Rugby 08...A think the Carlos Spencer or Dan Carter kicking style would be a better default.

Better yet - just have two or three defaults that get mixed up every so often.

David Hill has quite an interesting style - best example is just the one in Rugby 06 and 08, as that's a prefect replicate of it.

Christophe Deylaud, Toulouse player in the 90's. Starts his run with his back facing the posts, and just spins on himself and kicks it.

Christophe Deylaud, Toulouse player in the 90's. Starts his run with his back facing the posts, and just spins on himself and kicks it.

Is it the guy that kicks the last penalty kick in this game (2:23)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah
Percy Montgomery (taking only two steps?) his right arm crosses over his left leg after the kick?
Morné Steyn both for drop goal and goal kick ends with his arms spread out to the side
(also takes 5 steps in diagonal direction) before kicking

Andy Goode, that little hand clap with his thumbs up

From about 2008
Rory Kockott shook his left hand before a kick

oh, and who is that Portugese flyhalf from RWC 07 against NZ?

The one who kicked their drop goal

I heard he stands in the pocket standing almost side on to the post, right leg out about 40 degrees off the ground, and then he catches the ball and swings his leg down?
I havent seen it, but I heard this is how he kicked a drop goal?

Chris Paterson is certainly, Dead-eye accurate with his kicks, his style is a must seeing that he is one of the best kickers in the world!

Quade Cooper has more of a superman action...up! up! and away! (lol) Stephen Jones also places the ball facing the uprights, as it was done in the early days of rugga.

Andre Pretorius still uses the sand to kick and the camera always zooms in to see his one eyebrow raised as he looks at the poles.

Argentina:
Contepomi - Pretty standard kick routine but a good kicker
JM-Hernandez - a relaxed swing of the right boot

Australia:
Giteau - Structured run up and swerves from left to right
Quade Cooper - Batman pose
James O'Connor - " steps back to the the side and pulls his shorts up lol, good kicker though

England:
Wilkinson - Aforementioned
Cipriani - Short snappy run up from four steps

France:
Beauxis - similar to hernandez (monster boot)
Parra - Standard run up
Ellisalde - Similar to hernandez but shorter steps

Ireland:
ROG - Sticks foot in ground
Sexton - standard kicker similar to Morne steyn

New Zealand:
Carter - pausing run up
McAlister - Jogs before launching it
Donald - funny run up looks awkward

RSA:
M.Steyn- five diagonal steps and standard Kick
F steyn - roughly 6 steps back and launches it

Scotland:
Paterson - strokes ear before kicking with arm

Wales:
Stephen Jones front on style
Hook long run up
Henson hes got his own style
Halfpenny similar to hooks and hensons

That should be most of the big kickers don't worry about making that many of them personalised

however i would definetly prefer a revamped kicking engine whilst in the game or a new running evasion system than kickers personalised runups although they are cool

luke mcalister- on his tippy toes when he kicks

matt giteau- is left footed!!!

stirling mortlock- feet apart and rocks back

daniel carter- takes a breath an thn side steps

stephen donald- talks to himself an befor he kicks the ball he takes a big stride and points is foot down

johnny wilkinson- bending down

olly barkley- almost the same as johnny

morne styen

Rugby 08 seemed to have got every1s style down its just a matter of an update and Cooper and morne steyn would have to get updated but wilkinson mortlock carter etc where all accurate in 08

stephen donald- talks to himself an befor he kicks the ball he takes a big stride and points is foot down

Ah, apparently he says follow through (not really important but hey)?

And not everyone's kicking style is correct.
But hey, we can only go so far in motion capture??

I really did think most of the kicking styles in 08 were pretty much fine, maybe Jonny could have been perched a little lower - but thats being very picky!

I wouldn't mind just having a better default kicking style, or several defaults to choose from (i.e. a straight up run kick - Stephen Jones style, a normal run up - Morne Steyn, Cipriani, Giteau, Hernandez, Parra etc, and a longer straighter run up - Hook, Henson, Halfpenny, Francois Steyn) as there are quite a lot of kickers who have very similar styles.

Then the players who have completely unique styles such as Wilkinson, Carter, Quade Cooper etc can be motion captured.

It seems to me this would save a lot of time as tiny little things like one player tapping his foot and another breathing heavily doesn't really make that much difference when they both strike the ball in the same way. Then in edit mode (if there is one) we can adjust peoples styles as we see fit. In football games there are usually about 8 free kick styles which is plenty to cover the vast array of ways to kick a ball.

With default I would also like to see three or four that you could possibly allocate to a player?>

And, PLEASE get rid of the default from Rugby 08?

It looks like the guy is holding an imaginary pole before kicking?
It is similar to Percy Motngomery though.. But not to every one else..??

Also slightly off-topic but still relevant.

It was annoying in Rugby 08 when for example you at Wilkinson at 10 who had the kicking duties. Then someone gets injured and you bring on Toby Flood. You move Jonny to 12 and Flood at 10.

Jonny still has the kicking duties - but he loses his custom kicking style. A minor but annoying glitch...

Latest posts