• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB Request - Name me some unique goal kickers

Toby Flood's kicking technique is pretty unique. Andy Goode also has a fairly different smash-and-hope two-step run up.

Quade Cooper can be seen here this video at around 3:30 and this video at around 3:00

Clinton Shifcofski used to close one eye like he was shooting a gun but im not sure if hes around.

Piri Weepu has a very quick lineup and runup where here rocks back before quickly kicking, its a no-nonsense style.

To be honest though, if you were doing motion capture i would much rather you focused on different running styles and sidesteps.. I feel these are more important and would be more fun if they were different in my opinion (and i do realise that is only my opinion).

The kind of side-step Quade Cooper uses is amazing and it would be great to see in-game. Also,
-Ma'a Nonu has a sort of swagger step where he moves his upper body from side to side to distract the defence
-Conrad Smith has a very noticeable awkwardness to the way he runs, he just seems to slither through tackles
-Rokococo has his little ballet spin

Just some ideas :)

Totally agree. Players such as Quade Cooper need to have their own running style because he plays with so much flair and is very skilled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Q0tgNn_Kw&feature=related Just an example of what he can do!

james hook picks up a blade of grass and throws it away
ronan o'gara just stands legs apart and arms down by the sides

Last edited:
Contepomi's robotic kick
Stephen Jones
Andy Godde hands game before kicking
Ohh and Quade Cooper stupid running style

I wouldnt say kicking style would be that important in the game, not something i'd really notice. Anyone else bothered by kicking style?

stephen jones' toe poke. sterling mortlock's banana ball that curls massively right to left, jonny wilkinson obviously, the gavin henson duck step thing..

James Pritchard, the Canadian and Bedford Blues full-back and goal kicker

He almost walks up to the ball with a couple of paces and then hits it... see 3.10 in

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E5FzQRyRqew&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E5FzQRyRqew&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Been a few weeks since I have posted on the forums but rest assured I/we are definitely reading the posts and threads in this forum and you guys have some great ideas and we really appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to post.

One thing that would help us out as we prepare to do some motion capture in the coming months is that I would like a list of players with unique kicking styles.

First one that comes to my mind as a Queensland Reds fan is Quade Cooper and the motion he makes with his arms prior to kicking.

This sort of thing is something we have done in past rugby games for added authenticity like to capture if possible so tell me of the big names in Rugby, who has a unique goal kicking style that we could potentially capture and if you can find a link to a video online that shows it in action that would be great also.

the only guy i can suggest is morney steyn.he has a kicking like i think an accurate instep follow through style. Maybe c the s.a v.s italy game.it mite explain more then i can

Southern Hemisphere:

Quade Cooper
Daniel Carter
Matt Giteau

Yep the guys have covered them, I am really looking forward to this game, hope it delivers on the hype...

Dan biggar does a weird little bounce thing before he kicks.
James Hook throws grass into the air to test the wind every time.
Chris Paterson looks dazed and confused before doing the thing with his arm as someone mentioned earlier
Dan Parks does a little static moonwalk thing where he raises his knee with out his foot leaving the ground on both legs.

Not to do with an pro player and only sort of related but before I drop goal i touch the ball to my forehead really quickly. Its a bad habit i picked up as a kid when i was mucking around in the garden. Now I cant stop! :D

Dan Carter takes a stab at the ball and quickly snaps back his leg rather that the typical 'deliberate follow through' approach.
Stephen Donald kicks the ball while relasing it very low to the ground when doing a punt kick, and comes very straight on as if he will toe hack it on the goal kick.
Clinton Shicofske closes one eye when viewing the goal post
Morne Steyne does a half Jonny Wilkinson thing when he sits back in the squat position and put his hands in front of him.

Yea, definitely Dan Carter's "Days of our lives dramatic look/Brad Pitt from the movie Troy" look. It's become a little in joke every time he kicks. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and as someone said, for those with 'non-unique' styles, please change the default to something less robotic. :)

Last edited:
Stephen Jones of Wales comes to my mind. He runs straight at the ball with virtually no angle. Kind of like how they kicked in the 70's. Astonishes me how he does that so accurately.

Slightly off topic but along the lines of goal kicking.

Just a question of interest, let say carter for example who generates a load of curve/hook whatever you wanna call it from a kick at goal.
would it be possible to add a new ability so that you are now able to curve your kicks at goal ?

Definatley Quade Cooper and Mirco Bergamasco. Also Stephen Jones, where he just runs straight at the ball and seems to toe-poke it!! Piri Weepu also. Leigh Halfpenny - where he takes his headguard off, takes the kick, with his own style and then puts his headguard back on. Also Dan Biggar. He sort of walks quickly then slows down to kick the ball and follows through with his leg and arm.

Latest posts