• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB Request - Name me some unique goal kickers

HB_Glen

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
Been a few weeks since I have posted on the forums but rest assured I/we are definitely reading the posts and threads in this forum and you guys have some great ideas and we really appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to post.

One thing that would help us out as we prepare to do some motion capture in the coming months is that I would like a list of players with unique kicking styles.

First one that comes to my mind as a Queensland Reds fan is Quade Cooper and the motion he makes with his arms prior to kicking.

This sort of thing is something we have done in past rugby games for added authenticity like to capture if possible so tell me of the big names in Rugby, who has a unique goal kicking style that we could potentially capture and if you can find a link to a video online that shows it in action that would be great also.

Gavin Henson's head down and run.
Daneil Carter's Long pause and breath.
Johnny Wilkinson's "awaiting anal" position.
Olly Barkley's "Wish I was Johnny" position.
Steven Donald's mad flail.

I'll try and think of a few more and see if I can find video's.

Mirco Bergamasco has a pretty unorthadox style, just takes a few quick steps and whacks it in the general direction of the posts

Have to agree with Quade Cooper. Absolutely astonishing action. Will put my thinking cap on and post something with a link on someone else. :)

Chris Patterson sweeps his left arm into the air just before he kicks. Andy goode taps his fingers together and is bent in almost a sprint start position. Danny cipriani takes his scrum cap off to kick as does matt giteau i think. Shane geraghty usually misses if its to win the game :) (slightly bitter there as a Saints fan). To be honest every 1 is slightly unique.

What about players who throw grass to check the wind? (might be too detailed!)
I've seen many players do it including Stephen Jones and Leigh Halfpenny.

Quade Cooper can be seen here this video at around 3:30 and this video at around 3:00

Clinton Shifcofski used to close one eye like he was shooting a gun but im not sure if hes around.

Piri Weepu has a very quick lineup and runup where here rocks back before quickly kicking, its a no-nonsense style.

To be honest though, if you were doing motion capture i would much rather you focused on different running styles and sidesteps.. I feel these are more important and would be more fun if they were different in my opinion (and i do realise that is only my opinion).

The kind of side-step Quade Cooper uses is amazing and it would be great to see in-game. Also,
-Ma'a Nonu has a sort of swagger step where he moves his upper body from side to side to distract the defence
-Conrad Smith has a very noticeable awkwardness to the way he runs, he just seems to slither through tackles
-Rokococo has his little ballet spin

Just some ideas :)

Last edited:
Stephen Jones has a very straight run up compared to other kickers, he almost hits it straight on!

Quade Cooper(not as accurate as he can be)
Dan carter(not really unique in stance but has a great action)
S Jones
F Steyn(Nothing unique accept for that 63 meter boot of his)

and every other guy who does not have some sort of silly stance because it seems not being unique as a kicker these days is unique.

The reason behind Coopers weird style is because you have to be square with the ball, so you have to keep your left shoulder forward because your body will rotate. He does it as an extreme measure to make sure he has his left shoulder forward.

I would say:

Stephen Jones 'old fashioned' straight run up kick - Here at 1:20
Jonny Wilkinson's crouching style - Seen here (one on the right) + Toby Flood is also in the video on the left with a more upright similar action
Dan Carter's few steps to the left/diagonal run up - Here
Quade Cooper - Some good videos mentioned above.

Apart from that most kickers I think of have pretty standard styles.

One very unique place kicking style that springs to my mind is Andre Pretorius that uses/used sand as a kicking tee and also the "stare with one eye to the poles" that he uses.He does have a unique place kicking style in Rugby 08 but it's only the way that he approaches the ball before kicking it that is unique.

Will try to find a video of the "stare with one eye to the poles" of him, its quite funny actually...

French player from Castres "Romain Teulet", who is called "the Robot because of his unique style.

stephen donald is unique, even from right in front of the posts you dont know if he will kick it or not!

Latest posts