• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HES announces Rugby League Live for PS3/360

Amy just convinced me to buy this, so we've bought it. I've played 3 games and I think Radman is spot on with a lot of things.

Firstly, this is no Rugby League 2. This is a game that I'm sure I'll play for some time. There are problems yes, but nothing that I can't understand why it happened, except maybe the punting.

I disagree with Radman that it should be increased by 10m, that would make just a shade too much difference, I'd add 6-7m. That's all it'd take to make it feel like kicking was a genuine part of the game. Bombs are good though.

My first game was as Cronulla vs Brisbane and I won 26-0 (Easy), then I played another one Cronulla vs Canberra, that was 17-0 (Easy). I'm still getting to grips with all the controls before moving to medium, but the AI is actually very well designed (well from what I can tell so far).

As far as being a bit crap with draw and pass etc, well yeah it is, but less so on Side-cam. It's still a far from perfect game, but for a first step, this is a big step forward from Rugby League 2.

Amy just convinced me to buy this, so we've bought it. I've played 3 games and I think Radman is spot on with a lot of things.

Firstly, this is no Rugby League 2. This is a game that I'm sure I'll play for some time. There are problems yes, but nothing that I can't understand why it happened, except maybe the punting.

I disagree with Radman that it should be increased by 10m, that would make just a shade too much difference, I'd add 6-7m. That's all it'd take to make it feel like kicking was a genuine part of the game. Bombs are good though.

My first game was as Cronulla vs Brisbane and I won 26-0 (Easy), then I played another one Cronulla vs Canberra, that was 17-0 (Easy). I'm still getting to grips with all the controls before moving to medium, but the AI is actually very well designed (well from what I can tell so far).

As far as being a bit crap with draw and pass etc, well yeah it is, but less so on Side-cam. It's still a far from perfect game, but for a first step, this is a big step forward from Rugby League 2.

How does the game compare with Rugby League 3 CA? Also, what about the ball physics? They looked a little funny to me... almost as though the ball was deflated.

Oh well, I guess that's the problem with low funding :S . Personally I think the NRL should be directly involved in developing this game. They should partner with HES and invest a few million to bring the next ***le up to standard. If you think about it it'd actually be a really good way to grow the market in new areas like WA and SA. I've lost count of the amount of friends who have started following NFL teams as a result of playing Madden, and the same could happen for RL if they make a serious attempt at making a good game.

For those who have the game already, what are your top 3 pro's and con's?

seems to be a very similar post to the one by C A Iverson on sidhe forums... maybe it's the same guy...

How does the game compare with Rugby League 3 CA? Also, what about the ball physics? They looked a little funny to me... almost as though the ball was deflated.

Oh well, I guess that's the problem with low funding :S . Personally I think the NRL should be directly involved in developing this game. They should partner with HES and invest a few million to bring the next ***le up to standard. If you think about it it'd actually be a really good way to grow the market in new areas like WA and SA. I've lost count of the amount of friends who have started following NFL teams as a result of playing Madden, and the same could happen for RL if they make a serious attempt at making a good game.

Haven't played RL3 to compare sadly, although by all accounts it's very marginally better. The ball physics are very tired and the ball seems about 90% inflated, which we all know makes a bit of a sorry difference to a rugby ball. I wouldn't call that a game breaker though. It's more the fact that it needs to travel slightly further, most of your defence is done by the AI & slow play-the-balls which is infuriating.

Still if you love your league, it's an okay first step in the right direction. Where it's at and where it needs to be is like the difference between Fifa '07 and Fifa 10. You'd still buy Fifa '07 if it was the only game out there and you were soccer mad right? Same thing here.

By way of contrast and not being a leaguey, I'd compare this way.

Rugby League 2 (By the standards of release time):
Gameplay 2/10
Graphics: 7/10
Audio: 7/10
Features: 8/10

Rugby League Live:
Gameplay 6.5/10
Graphics: 6/10
Audio: 6/10
Features: 5/10

By no means terrible, but a fair road to go to being awesome.

Haven't played RL3 to compare sadly, although by all accounts it's very marginally better. The ball physics are very tired and the ball seems about 90% inflated, which we all know makes a bit of a sorry difference to a rugby ball. I wouldn't call that a game breaker though. It's more the fact that it needs to travel slightly further, most of your defence is done by the AI & slow play-the-balls which is infuriating.

Still if you love your league, it's an okay first step in the right direction. Where it's at and where it needs to be is like the difference between Fifa '07 and Fifa 10. You'd still buy Fifa '07 if it was the only game out there and you were soccer mad right? Same thing here.

By way of contrast and not being a leaguey, I'd compare this way.

Rugby League 2 (By the standards of release time):
Gameplay 2/10
Graphics: 7/10
Audio: 7/10
Features: 8/10

Rugby League Live:
Gameplay 6.5/10
Audio: 6/10
Features: 5/10

By no means terrible, but a fair road to go to being awesome.

Sounds worth buying just by virtue of the fact it's league and as you say it's still the first in the series. Still, I think we need to start lobbying the NRL to take part in this so the future is brighter... if only I had some corporate buddies lol

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COWNER%7E1.SHA%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I have played Rugby League 3 on Wii and i can tell you that the gameplay on RL3 is sadly slightly better than that of Rugby League Live!! Sad to say but thats what I think anyway. RLLive has some pretty cool tackle animations and break tackle animations, but after about the third shoulder charge in a row, things start getting abit old!!
I felt like im still not really controlling the players and it turns into a button mash, as the tackle animations set in. I mean I dropped my control and the computer still couldnt get through my defence, coz it literally played the game for me. And still the random offloads in all directions when the computer has the ball. FRUSTRATING!!!!

By all means its a nice first try by BIGANT, and I can see how they can improve on this, but to me it seems like a direct port of the Wii, with more tackle/break tackle animations, slower gameplay, as in when your player hits a gap, say Jarrod Hayne, you expect a burst of speed and he's away, like in RL3 on the Wii, BUT NO!!!! you get stuck in a stand up tackle, jiggling around like spazz until a second player comes along and completes it. Good thing is if your in space, one v one, tap X repeatedly and you most likely will see one of those sweet breaktackle animations, but still the players just seem heavy!!!

I went in to this game with low expectations, and RENTED it, and came out of it with just that!!! After the first 10 games you start feeling like its something you played before. Its not a new engine, its SIDHES RL engine tweaked.

My ratings for RL3 on Wii, and RL Live on PS3

RL3 for Wii
Gameplay: 6/10
Graphics: 4/10
Audio: 4/10
Features: 7/10 (Career Mode)

Rugby League Live
Gameplay: 5/10 (Huge thing for me was that you cant run directly left or right with your halfback at the play the ball!! SUCK. You can make the quick yards left and right, but its not the same)
Audio: 4/10
Features: 4/10 (No career mode)

Last edited:
Personally I think the NRL should be directly involved in developing this game. They should partner with HES and invest a few million to bring the next ***le up to standard. If you think about it it'd actually be a really good way to grow the market in new areas like WA and SA. I've lost count of the amount of friends who have started following NFL teams as a result of playing Madden, and the same could happen for RL if they make a serious attempt at making a good game.

My thoughts exactly! Madden has played a masive part in pulling in it's international fanbase. I remember as a kid watching it on Pay TV and thinking this game sucks (obviously because I didn't understand it), then when I started playing Madden in 95 I started to understand it and fell in love with it. The only reason I played it was because there was no Rugby or league game at the time. So I agree with you whole heartedly that they should seriuosly look at investing some funds into a video game. If they want to increase the intrest in our game then the best way is through Video games. I don't know to many people who have kids that don't have some sort of console.

Anyone know where us UK folk could import this.

This is one place that people downunder (on the sidhe forums) are saying is one of the cheapest (which still works out at around 75 quid after shipping + import tax etc)

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Games/Pl...rid=1201920603&i=1&keywords=rugby+league+live

From what i'm hearing of the game its quite good, people are comparing it to FIFA 07 on ps3/360 - as in its a solid start to next gen but theres more improvement to come. So for me i'm still on the fence on importing it, not sure if i wanna sacrifice my my first couple of days of freshers month (and yes i'm going into my second year, but missed last year) for a game :D :D we'll see :D
Hope that helps anyways cymro :D

All I can really say is Bigant have done a good job of the Gameplay and online play.

Also Side cam is awesome, helps alot and the game seems to flow alot better being able to see what is going on alot clearer, I think the front on cams are a little bit too close as you can't see your options to each side so I thought maybe add the ability to move the camera sideways as you press and hold the L1 or R1 buttons, this way you will be able to see your options left and right. also maybe have the option to shift the camera to suit???.

It does need a few tweaks, punt needs fixing, play the balls need speeding up, maybe need to add auto nearest player select on D and a few other little ****les but they are onto something with this game and hopefully the little ****les can be patched and turn this game into something way better than it is allready which is in my opinion THE best Rugby League game to play ever....and not everyone will agree and I don't care, I love it...IT IS THE GREATEST GAME OF ALLLLLL!!!!! LOL!.:D

All I can really say is Bigant have done a good job of the Gameplay and online play.

Also Side cam is awesome, helps alot and the game seems to flow alot better being able to see what is going on alot clearer, I think the front on cams are a little bit too close as you can't see your options to each side so I thought maybe add the ability to move the camera sideways as you press and hold the L1 or R1 buttons, this way you will be able to see your options left and right. also maybe have the option to shift the camera to suit???.

It does need a few tweaks, punt needs fixing, play the balls need speeding up, maybe need to add auto nearest player select on D and a few other little ****les but they are onto something with this game and hopefully the little ****les can be patched and turn this game into something way better than it is allready which is in my opinion THE best Rugby League game to play ever....and not everyone will agree and I don't care, I love it...IT IS THE GREATEST GAME OF ALLLLLL!!!!! LOL!.:D

Let's not forget my suggestions for the tackle area and players moving back into the defensive line RM :D .

Still though, really looking forward to checking this out. Hope they manage to start releasing one a year. I heard that BigAnt have signed a 5 year deal with HES, so that's a good sign.

Let's not forget my suggestions for the tackle area and players moving back into the defensive line RM :D .

Still though, really looking forward to checking this out. Hope they manage to start releasing one a year. I heard that BigAnt have signed a 5 year deal with HES, so that's a good sign.

Remember bro, go in with the lowest expectations possible and give it more than a few days so you can suss it out properly and when it finally clicks bro...well you'll see.;)

The thing that saves this game is the fact that it's online. The game itself needs big improvements but hey I'm just happy to have a league game on ps3. Hopefully alot of people invest in this game, if not they aren't likely to go pouring money into the next one.

Im abit disapointed about the game modes, they slacked off on create a player and stuff, and the game modes don't seem as good.

But the game play does seem better

Im abit disapointed about the game modes, they slacked off on create a player and stuff, and the game modes don't seem as good.

But the game play does seem better

well from what I read or hear, theres still more game modes In RLL than Rugby league challenge on psp (only Quick match or season - Super league of NRL). but then again it is actual console and hand held, but still :D :D
Just can't wait 2 months :( :( hopefully people will start putting on ebay soon, and may get one imported a bit cheaper than 80 quid (which would be the overall cost for importing). Hope everyone downunder is enjoying the game :D In the meantime i'm playing RLC (psp) and RL3 (wii) both quite tidy games :D

RL Live has grown on me a lot, first time I played it I thought it was average, but once you get to know all the buttons and everything it's much better! Many weak points, but good points too. Tackle animations are great - really smooth. Running and passing can be a bit awkward though, but if you hold down the pass + use the buttons above their heads they run onto the ball much nicer.

Audio isn't the best, sounds like Voss is commentating through some kind of static radio :lol: I think it's a good base for future games, if they continue. Miles better than RL2.

I've finally got the dam thing, cant wait to finish work now

Shame you'll be with the easybeat Xbox crowd, it'd be a lot tougher with Radman and I on PS3, lol. Just kidding mate, I'm sure you'll be doing the damage against the 360 guys in no time.

Latest posts