• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB player of the year nominees...

:lol2tn: HAHA good one Mite!

Do any of you think Mike Blair really deserves to be on the list...?

Well, any of these players deserves it.
I would give it to italy as they have a huge potential and their rugby is developing every day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ross munro @ Sep 26 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do any of you think Mike Blair really deserves to be on the list...?[/b]

Not really. For that matter, Carter has has an outstandingly average year so doesn't really deserve a shot. The first Kiwi to spring to mind this season would possibly be Nonu.

That said, it'll be a sad day when a makeup wearing ponce wins player of the year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 24 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
would've thought giteau and de villiers might get on it. Especially instead of Blair who hasn't had an outstanding year. Ryan Jones/ Parisse ... better year than Spies/ McCaw?? Seems to be a big NH bias in this.

Having said that, Williams should win it.[/b]

Mate! Parisse has had an epic Six Nations and SH tour this season. The guy has more or less single handedly dragged Italy through thick and thin.

However there is definitely a NH bias this year, no doubt about that one. I'd be very interested to see though how many non Home Nations/SANZAR players have been nominated for the IRB player of the year.

If Parisse won it, he'd deserve it because the guy is a legend...if only his Grandad was English or something :(

EDIT: also, it might be good to point out that the entire NH didn't get white-washed. Scotland and Italy each won a game in hugely testing circumstances and Wales challenged hard in their games.

It is quite ironic that Scotland and Italy as it stands theoretically have a better chance of getting a good seeding for the 2011 RWC than the likes of England, France, Ireland and Wales :lol:

However, if you don't count Argentina as part of the SH..then..well.. *sigh*

I wholeheartedly agree. JDV is a fantastic player, whereas Nonu really only has his attack to stand up on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 26 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ross munro @ Sep 26 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. For that matter, Carter has has an outstandingly average year so doesn't really deserve a shot. The first Kiwi to spring to mind this season would possibly be Nonu.

That said, it'll be a sad day when a makeup wearing ponce wins player of the year.
[/b][/quote]

Carter did have an injury yes but in the tri nations, he was outstanding. The best player on the park in virtually every game. His performance in the first Bledisloe was up there with his performance against the Lions (2nd test). He fully deserves to be there. Sorry if you were being sarcastic.

I'm with Parisse too. He had a great 6 Nations as captain of Italy, outstanding in every game and I think he elevated his team all by himself. He has everything and even more - power, pace, agility, skills, vision... can play in 6,7,8... and he's definitively a great leader, he's now captain in club with Stade Français too. A future legend. And it will be a nice spotlight for italian/argentine rugby...

But sadly I think that the trophy will go to Shane Williams (like him, but after Habana it will be a 'finisher' rewarded again...) or Carter. (the best as usual, be he doesn't really need that no ?)
But if Parisse can do as well this year in the 6 Nations AND this time in the H-Cup with Paris, maybe he could win this distinction.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 26 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There is NO WAY Nonu would be ahead of De Villiers as a nominee[/b]

Because De Villiers is actually a Kiwi...

shipment-of-fail.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Sep 27 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 26 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ross munro @ Sep 26 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Carter did have an injury yes but in the tri nations, he was outstanding. The best player on the park in virtually every game. His performance in the first Bledisloe was up there with his performance against the Lions (2nd test). He fully deserves to be there. Sorry if you were being sarcastic.
[/b][/quote]

What I meant was compared to his usual standard. But yes, having a couple of months playing well shouldn't qualify someone anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 27 2008, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 26 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is NO WAY Nonu would be ahead of De Villiers as a nominee[/b]

Because De Villiers is actually a Kiwi...

shipment-of-fail.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Sep 27 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 26 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

What I meant was compared to his usual standard. But yes, having a couple of months playing well shouldn't qualify someone anyway.
[/b][/quote]

Well this is mainly judged on international performances, in every match except Ireland Carter has been superb. Its tough to say he's been the best because he's behind the best pack in the world but his constant line breaks is far superior to any other 10. For line breaks, only De Villiers is close.

But for me..

1-Williams
2-Carter
3-Parisse
4-Blair
5-Jones

Think there is no doubt that Shane Williams will win the award,he I feel had the best season of all those candidates

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ross munro @ Sep 27 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Think there is no doubt that Shane Williams will win the award,he I feel had the best season of all those candidates[/b]

Despite Dan Carter's glory on Tri Nations

I think it's between Carter and Williams, but as I'm a New Zealander I'd back Carter to win. He was amazing in the Tri-Nations decider. In sayin that, I feel Williams was great throughout the 6N.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Sep 28 2008, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it's between Carter and Williams, but as I'm a New Zealander I'd back Carter to win. He was amazing in the Tri-Nations decider. In sayin that, I feel Williams was great throughout the 6N.[/b]

Yeah I understand your positions but also agree that Shane and Dan will be main competitors for trophy this year

Actually I am neither NZ nor Wales guy and judge from aside, and seems these two will compete.

i hope PARiSSE will win!
i think he is the best n8 at the moment ... and his win will be also a award for the italian rugby .. that in this year is growing up very quickly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pazeralex @ Sep 29 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i hope PARiSSE will win!
i think he is the best n8 at the moment ... and his win will be also a award for the italian rugby .. that in this year is growing up very quickly[/b]

I understand your reasoning behind this, but Italy didn't have the best of years (no fault of Parisse, who was up there with the standout performers of the 6 nations), also this is best player, and for that reason, I don't think which country they are from should come into it.

I honestly think Shane Williams should win, not because I'm Welsh, but because he was immense in every game of the six nations, well apart from aginst England. He was then the stand out player of the two tests v South Africa (along with deVillers), going up against the reigning player of the year Habanna, and outshining him. In my view, he has just been the most consistent and most spectacular player of the year, in much the same way Habanna was the year before.

Carter comes a close second, with Parisse, Jones and Blair a little bit behind.

I agree with dullonien that Williams is the form wing this year. He did get it kinda easy to play opposite, the then 2 capped, Chavhanga who was nowhere in defense but he shone in every International he played in. Being it the highest level you can play he should get full credit for his efforts.
Also him being 31 years old it'll be a great cherry on the top (since the British Lions aren't gonna win next year ;) ) for a great servant of the game. He is quite frankly a living legend, who is still playing. He'll be inducted into the IRB hall of fame one day. No doubt. The humble Habana even insisted that Williams should get the 11 jersey for the upcoming Baa baa game because Shane has been the best 11 this year.

That said I'll still have Habana any day of the week :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Sep 29 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pazeralex @ Sep 29 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hope PARiSSE will win!
i think he is the best n8 at the moment ... and his win will be also a award for the italian rugby .. that in this year is growing up very quickly[/b]

I understand your reasoning behind this, but Italy didn't have the best of years (no fault of Parisse, who was up there with the standout performers of the 6 nations), also this is best player, and for that reason, I don't think which country they are from should come into it.
[/b][/quote]

Well, Italy didn't have the strongest Six Nations in terms of wins but considering that they almost beat Ireland and England and beat Scotland does bear testament to the fact that they are gradually getting better and better.

Also, is it me, or are people forgetting that Italy did something special this summer? Something which England, Wales, Ireland and France failed to do this season?

They won in the SH, in the couldron of Argentina.

Latest posts