• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Announced

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 28 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads would ye agree Denis Fogarty is unlucky too not to get in ahead of his brother ....

Also, I admit haven't seen Saints alot, is Downey unlucky to be omitted like I believe he'd be a more physical choice at 12 (an unsure position) than Duffy (I know he not a 12) who offers very little to the squad.[/b]
No, he can't throw to save his life. We're plating against South Africa, the team with the world's best lineouts. A man who can't throw darts is a massive liability to sat the least.

On Duffy I can't believe he is in the squad. Surely Carr has done enough to merit the token Connacht back inclusion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 28 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads would ye agree Denis Fogarty is unlucky too not to get in ahead of his brother ....[/b]
Not at all. Denis Fogarty is a liability come lineout time. His brother isn't exactly crash hot at throwing either but he's a far better option due to his excellent work on the ground.

If anything Andy Kyriacou and Bernard Jackman are unlucky not to be selected.

Just a suggestion as well ye have said none of Fogarty's or Jackman are reliable with darts but I like Denis in open play.

On the Duffy selection ahead of Carr and Downey, it must be down to fact Duffy on much more money so they getting value out of him. :p

Just in some area's it strange squad like Ian Humphreys, while not up to standard yet, should be in squad for experience as he is improving and him and Sexton will be battling for 10 shirt for years to come.

Also I hope that Luke Fitzgearld is in centre as I think he can be a world-class 12

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 29 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also I hope that Luke Fitzgearld is in centre as I think he can be a world-class 12[/b]
And bowe could be a world class 13.
The thing is the back three of Bowe, Kearney and Bowe is world class NOW.
I spose it all depends on whether we want to win these ones or build for future.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 2 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 29 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also I hope that Luke Fitzgearld is in centre as I think he can be a world-class 12[/b]
And bowe could be a world class 13.
The thing is the back three of Bowe, Kearney and Bowe is world class NOW.
I spose it all depends on whether we want to win these ones or build for future.
[/b][/quote]

The big question is wether to play Bowe on the right wing or his clone on the right and original on the left. Hmmmm....

I'd like to see Fitzgerald have a go at inside centre. Considering Barnes and Mortlock are injured I'm sure he'll be more than capable of handling defence wise whoever will start at centre (...Iaone and AAC??) and Earls can cover his wing. Seems the logical thing seeing as D'Arcy has been poor and I can perme-distrust of Wallace no matter how well he plays for Ulster.

Hmmm I think the Ulster boys have a chance of sneaking in at this one and by that I mean both Trimble and Wallace.

Ahhh there are a lot of options available to DK so its a good place to be. Lets hope he stops pricking about though and tests the options out.

Of course I want to win, but I'd hate to see the same guys run out for the two big games. Need to shake up that pack with more Ulster and Leinster forwards, and maybe try different combinations out the backs. For no other reason then to see if these guys can play on the same pitch as the SH giants. We cant protect them forever.

If we lose we still blood new players, if we win, well were in great nick. A win win for me.

For me I'd love to start with

Healy, Flannery, Hayes
Cullen, O'Connell
Ferris, Heaslip, Wallace

O'Leary, Sexton
Fitzgerald, O'Driscoll
Earls, Bowe
Kearney

I'd also like to see Best, O'Brien, Fogarty, Trimble, Earls and Wallace get plenty of time off the bench.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 2 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmmm I think the Ulster boys have a chance of sneaking in at this one and by that I mean both Trimble and Wallace.

Ahhh there are a lot of options available to DK so its a good place to be. Lets hope he stops pricking about though and tests the options out.

Of course I want to win, but I'd hate to see the same guys run out for the two big games. Need to shake up that pack with more Ulster and Leinster forwards, and maybe try different combinations out the backs. For no other reason then to see if these guys can play on the same pitch as the SH giants. We cant protect them forever.

If we lose we still blood new players, if we win, well were in great nick. A win win for me.

For me I'd love to start with

Healy, Flannery, Hayes
Cullen, O'Connell
Ferris, Heaslip, Wallace

O'Leary, Sexton
Fitzgerald, O'Driscoll
Earls, Bowe
Kearney

I'd also like to see Best, O'Brien, Fogarty, Trimble, Earls and Wallace get plenty of time off the bench.[/b]
Exactly the team I'd like to see, except Cullen coming off bench on 50-55min mark to replace DOC.

Hard to see 3 highlighted getting much game time only maybe in RDS but not against SA and Aus

And regarding your comment on Bowe been world-class 13 he is good ther but point I ,aking about Luke Fitzgearld is we have a problem at 12 with plenty of depht in back 3.

I just think Earls deserves to start and with a problem at 12 Luke Fitzgeard is suited brilliantly.
He is big and strong, great tackler, great pace and a very smart player.

Bowe played the last test for the Lions at 13, and both the Ospreys Heinkein Cup games, as well as the game against Edinburgh (Which was largly the HEC squad.) because the ospreys wanted to play Shane and Nikki Walker as well as Bowe. I know O'Driscoll will hold him from doing that for Ireland, Tommy's clearly happy with the switch, so... I don't actually know what I'm getting at.

Eh ......... The Ospreys play three outside centres but because O'Driscoll is better than Bowe we are going to have four!

I like your thinking.

people should stod moning about gavin duffy don't forget back in 2005 he was the rising star of irish rugby.He came to connaught because HE is a proud man from the west.

PS:he's from mayo

The frustrating thing about Duffy is that he could have achieved so much more in his career. He was a stunning schools player and upon his ascent to senior rugby he scored a hat-trick on his debut for Galwegians in the AIL (as far as I recall). It looked like Ireland had another Brian O'Driscoll on their hands.

His move to Harlequins stalled his career and he didn't push on when he returned to Connacht. At 28 he still has time on his side - look at how Jeremy Staunton is reborn this season - but I think he'll need to move club if he's to improve as a player. He's treading water under Michael Bradley's coaching.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 3 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The frustrating thing about Duffy is that he could have achieved so much more in his career. He was a stunning schools player and upon his ascent to senior rugby he scored a hat-trick on his debut for Galwegians in the AIL (as far as I recall). It looked like Ireland had another Brian O'Driscoll on their hands.

His move to Harlequins stalled his career and he didn't push on when he returned to Connacht. At 28 he still has time on his side - look at how Jeremy Staunton is reborn this season - but I think he'll need to move club if he's to improve as a player. He's treading water under Michael Bradley's coaching.[/b]
That all Duffy is :eek:

I thought he was older well then maybe he deserves his time in squad to prove if he has something to offer.

we should sign petition to get rid of mickael bradley and remplace him be less kiss or greg small.

Bradley is wasting some very tallented connaught fellows carrer he should be exiled to a country of the ex U.S.S.R where he'll be winning lots money buying big yaths and having heavy breasted women jumping around him.

Haven't you heard Sean? It was announced today Bradley is leaving Connacht at the end of the year! Rumour has it he is Cheika's replacement though :huh:

we should sign petition to get rid of mickael bradley and remplace him be less kiss or greg small.

Bradley is wasting some very tallented connaught fellows carrer he should be exiled to a country of the ex U.S.S.R where he'll be winning lots money buying big yaths and having heavy breasted women jumping around him.

I just read on bbc rugby that Bradley is going to quit coaching (playing poker) connaught

Chekai is going back to australia to coach melbourne in the super 15.Less kiss or greg small would be favourites to remplace him or even Goerge Hook.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Nov 4 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just read on bbc rugby that Bradley is going to quit coaching (playing poker) connaught

Chekai is going back to australia to coach melbourne in the super 15.Less kiss or greg small would be favourites to remplace him or even Goerge Hook.[/b]

Yeah. That was was pointed out like 3 posts ago.

Nobody in their right mind is gonna give George Hook the job. And Les Kiss and Gert Small were brought in as Defensive and Forwards Coaches so I don't see them moving from the Ireland Set-Up.

Niall O'Donovan and Eric Elwood may be sniffing around for a job and if Leinster wait around long enough Dean Richards will be available... (em...'lol'?)

no way in their right minds would Smal and Kiss leave the Irish setup before the world cup unless there's a monumental slump in form and they certainly wouldn't do so to go to a development side especially when both Leinster and Munster jobs could well be available as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 4 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no way in their right minds would Smal and Kiss leave the Irish setup before the world cup unless there's a monumental slump in form and they certainly wouldn't do so to go to a development side especially when both Leinster and Munster jobs could well be available as well.[/b]

Less and Kiss can stay inb the irish setup and train connaught as alan gaffney does with leinster and ireland.I believe that Goerge Hook as still something to prove at coaching level and he would be brilliant in the afertmatch interviews

Latest posts