• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v New Zealand

Sounds like Doug Howlett doing his Basil Fawlty impression;

6812.jpg

Don't you bring that up, Mite! That was a case of VICIOUS CHARACTER ASSASSINATION BY THE MEDIA! Doug Howlett would NEVER do anything such as damage cars! The media were just BIASED against him like all refs are because he's an All Black! D:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Nov 16 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't you bring that up, Mite! That was a case of VICIOUS CHARACTER ASSASSINATION BY THE MEDIA! Doug Howlett would NEVER do anything such as damage cars! The media were just BIASED against him like all refs are because he's an All Black! D:[/b]
And so the rugby community has come around to our reasoning <_<

Surley Kelleher will be avalible to play in the RWC though, I mean I knew he was arrested, but I presumed he would just be fined and sent on his way...

What do you kiwis think about the crowd's response to the Haka? 80+ thousands of people quietly looking on. I think it was one of the best sights in a while in terms of true respect and admiration in sports. Should have been great also for All Black players.

For what concerns the penalty-try, I think Dickinson was trying to explain the Italians that there was no going-forward from the Azzurri's pack and therefore he could not award a penalty try. This was what he was saying, I think. Maybe his interpretation was that the penalty-try can be awarded only for a clear try-scoring chance, not just for repeated infringement, which isn't the usual interpretation in scrums, but sounds correct in some ways. Sad to say, though. Maybe in that case, he simply had to wait until the ball was used or the pack could get some momentum and then see wether the penalty-try was on or not. Some of the penalties were given while still both front rows were up and pushing. Strange calls: I say let them fight and see who comes out on top.

The dominance gained in the scrum by the Italians seemed to be due to a different approach in scrum between Southern and Northern hemisphere teams. Most of the times down South you see teams feed the scrum and then the scrum is over (either it's collapsed or teams stop pushing and who's won's won); instead, on Saturday, the Italian pack kept pushing even after having won the ball and the All Blacks clearly were not prepared to repell the second push and they simply disengaged from the unit (not only the flankers, but even locks). In the second half, things went a bit better for them because they kept focused on pushing for longer. Maybe the coaches had spotted that.

That was an awesome response from the crowd sitting there silently listening to the haka you could hear a feather drop if it weren't for the All Blacks. Massive response and shows how much respect the Italian have for the All Blacks and for all things Rugby.

As for the scrums put simply the All Blacks got rocked by the dominant Italian front row. 7min of scrums and 13 resets that's got to be a record of some sort surely. I have a huge amount of respect for the Italians front row now because to be honest I thought nothing of it until I saw Hayman get pushed back a few times in the RWC 2007.

We've got England this weekend and some critics are calling it to be a borefest full of highball kicking and not much running. Rugbys becoming very tiresome these days because of all the kicking and I think it's been proven because the Wellington Westpac Stadium that was built for Rugby is now being called upon to become more of a Football Stadium because of success of the All Whites and Wellington Phoenix fans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 16 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormmaster1 @ Nov 15 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Nov 15 2009, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 15 2009, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Italy were robbed of a try by Dickenson in the last 6 minutes. 4 penalties at scrum time on the All Blacks 5m, a yellow card and still no penalty try.[/b]

You could tell that Italy were getting very angry at Dickenson by not awarding a penalty try, he really did live up to his name.
[/b][/quote]

You don't concede penalty try for repeat offending. you get a try if a single penalty incident stopped a try from probably being scored. repeat offending= yellow card.
[/b][/quote]
Surely you're wrong?
[/b][/quote]

You'd think so. there was a leicester bath game a coupe of years ago, HC quarters, bath won narrowly. tigers played like muppets. discussed very heavily on message boards (probably more on the sportnetwork tigers/bath boards than here) to establish whether ref was right or not (he was). bath were 4 (i think, possibly 5) points ahead in the last 10 minutes. scrum 5 tigers put in on bath 5m line. multiple resets and penalty infringements from bath. Castrogiovanni (or julian white, can't remember which) was totally dominant. if bath were going backwards they infringed early, so that at no point could ref say penalty try. so he sinbinned 1, then a second prop. uncontested scrums. bath to 13 men. not sure you could get a better oportunity to score a try. just pass it along the line untill the gap appears. thankfully for bath we had Andy Goode, and the rest as they say is history.

Latest posts