• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: Chiefs vs. Wales (14/06/2016)

You sound pretty condescending, close minded and intolerant in all honesty.

I interpreted the beer, pies and the Queen comment as good-natured joking, so I replied with LOTR and Crowded House intended in a similar way.

To be honest your subsequent responses do make it look like you are just looking for a fight, and I have zero interest in that.

Wow this went down hill quickly... Ka_Mate sort yourself out, don't just come here slagging off every other country.

Yeah, can we all just play nice?
I don't want to have to start warning, and banning, people for such nonsense.

Haven't seen the game, but I am wondering... is the issue the coaching preparation? Two days (Sunday, Monday) to prepare for the Chiefs game isn't a great deal of time. I assume the second team will have trained with the first team leading up to the first test, but I also assume that that would have consisted mainly of holding bags and having drills run against them.

Haven't seen the game, but I am wondering... is the issue the coaching preparation? Two days (Sunday, Monday) to prepare for the Chiefs game isn't a great deal of time. I assume the second team will have trained with the first team leading up to the first test, but I also assume that that would have consisted mainly of holding bags and having drills run against them.

In an ideal world this fixture would never have happened, however if it must then it should be on a Saturday between tests. That way you can give the team you pick for it more time to prepare. This isnt the Lions team where you can do a Saturday-Midweek-Saturday setup with the much larger squad.

As it is most of us will just pretend/hope it hadn't happened at all and we'll just look towards Saturday

I'm sure Wales must have more strength in depth than they've shown. Just wonder if Gatland is doing a Woodward c2003 in just concentrating on having a very experienced 1st XV for the here and now. Not sure how far his remit extends beyond the national XV.

Haha; oh the irony.

Haha...kebabs? English culture? Yep, that's irony alright!

@Every Time Ref

That business with the Māori warriors holding spears and performing the Haka is quite normal here, not so much at Super Rugby, NPC or Club rugby level, but at the school level where Māori culture is part of the education curriculum. As one of the NZ posters pointed out earlier, school 1st XVs use their school Kapa Haka (Māori performing arts) groups in support on the field. There are Haka by both sides before College 1st XV matches almost without exception.

The Welsh players would have been considered to be honoured guests of the local Marae, especially so as their leader (Warren Gatland) is a son of the Waikato region. He will have understood perfectly well what this was about, and I am sure he will have explained it to his players.

Last edited:
Haha...kebabs? English culture? Yep, that's irony alright!.

Oh don't start this again SmartCookey this has nothing to do with having a go at the NZ culture and point scoring by having a go back at "English Culture". Ka_Mate was just trying start an argument. The irony was that he was accusing Everytime ref of being closed minded and condenscending and then showing himself to be exactly one himself.

FYI- I don't condone Everytime ref's last comment about LOTR etc.

So let's just leave this point scoring culture nonsense.

Last edited:
Can I reiterate that I honestly thought Ka Mate was just engaging in a bit of friendly banter and the LOTR stuff was just me giving the same back, not an attempt to properly wind up anyone.

Smartcooky, thanks for the info, I didn't realise it was such standard practice. Not entirely sure whether it changes my mind or not to be honest, but certainly gives it some context I wasn't previously aware of.

Can I reiterate that I honestly thought Ka Mate was just engaging in a bit of friendly banter and the LOTR stuff was just me giving the same back, not an attempt to properly wind up anyone.

Smartcooky, thanks for the info, I didn't realise it was such standard practice. Not entirely sure whether it changes my mind or not to be honest, but certainly gives it some context I wasn't previously aware of.

Hang on, my comments were in 'jest' as well, albeit with a little venom. It would be nice if people attempted to educate themselves and enlighten themselves and ease up on the anti-Haka attitude in the future. It is a ritual and tradition that has attracted a lot of attention and appeal to the game world wide as well. I think that it is severely underappreciated by large parts of the community, especially in the NH, but to be fair to the French, they actually LOVE the Haka and embrace its spirit.

My one gripe with the haka sort of is that, for some people you can't challenge it. (But it sounds like this divides opinion in New Zealand as well).

My one gripe with the haka sort of is that, for some people you can't challenge it. (But it sounds like this divides opinion in New Zealand as well).

I have to agree to some extent, there should be occasions where you can challenge it, France were great in the 2011 final. It was pretty funny when the Welsh attempted to challenge it years back in Cardiff and then went on to get thrashed.

Thing is, if you allowed challenges every game, it'd become mayhem and potentially nasty before the whistle has even blown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only posted the Chiefs Haka because is was super awesome.. If only I had known.. :-/

This whole "it was banter" defence to cover up casual racism/ignorant comments doesn't wash either. It's just excuse to say it and then distance yourself from it.

Bloody hell mate. It's just a bit of a cultural experience for the Welsh boys.

Suppose you lads don't really have much culture to relate to other than beers and pies, that's about the extent of the English culture and I guess.... the Queen?
That's bang out of order. We also have films... about beers.

shaun+of+the+dead.gif

tumblr_mubr7sCFak1sw63pwo1_500.gif

juAQgjb.gif

Withnail-gif.gif

Oh don't start this again SmartCookey this has nothing to do with having a go at the NZ culture and point scoring by having a go back at "English Culture".

Err, I was actually agreeing with you!!:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

My one gripe with the haka sort of is that, for some people you can't challenge it.

That WR's rule, and frankly, I think its a BS rule that shows their total lack of understanding

(But it sounds like this divides opinion in New Zealand as well).

Those who think Haka cannot be challenged do not know what they are talking about. Ask any Kaumātua (tribal elder) about that and they will tell you that challenging Haka is not just acceptable, it is a show of respect!

English culture?
What language are we all speaking.

I'd, personally, like to see England respond to the Haka with a volley from a company of long bowmen. See whose warriors are better.

(this is all, obviously, in good fun. We're fine with light hearted ribbing but not with serious **** taking.)

This whole "it was banter" defence to cover up casual racism/ignorant comments doesn't wash either. It's just excuse to say it and then distance yourself from it.

Talk about jumping on the "I'm offended" bandwagon like nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry in todays society. If you think making remarks like "beers, pies and kebabs" is racist, then you must be fun at parties.

Talk about jumping on the "I'm offended" bandwagon like nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry in todays society. If you think making remarks like "beers, pies and kebabs" is racist, then you must be fun at parties.

No one's saying it's racist, what people are saying is that you took it way too personally when no personal comments were made, and escalated the situation.

We'll draw a line under it here, and get back to discussing the Chiefs vs Wales game in 3....2....1....here:

Latest posts