• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

LIONS PICK THEMSELVES

Be class if someone picked up a good Limited multi episode Lions series. Amazon have done rugby with All or Nothing, wouldn't be shocked to see them All or Nothing the Lions. Always enjoy the documentaries but think there could be more done to them.

Be class if someone picked up a good Limited multi episode Lions series. Amazon have done rugby with All or Nothing, wouldn't be shocked to see them All or Nothing the Lions. Always enjoy the documentaries but think there could be more done to them.
I think they were looking at it. Something like jump between 2 camps.

I think they were looking at it. Something like jump between 2 camps.
beer pint GIF by History UK

vs

Wk Pain GIF by wksklep

Not much to add to what's been said but even Gatland picked Heaslip over Faletau in 2/3 opportunities and he wasn't keen on picking Irish players over Welsh. Definitely a disservice to Heaslip to say he wasn't in Faletau's class.
Yes and I apologise for that, I can't give a complete account of Heaslip as I dont watch the Irish team as closely as I do the Welsh. But to me Faletaus only miner weakness his is lineout, apart from that he is the complete N0 8 who has a wide scope of skills and has the nuances of covering play and having the skills to play whats in front of him, His recovery of the ball from a retreating scrum is world beating. but anything on these boards is only opinion and unfortunately we all have one. If Faletau keep improving from his injury he will walk into the lions team. I will point out one other thing regarding Gats he used to rotate the bench quite a lot and I think that wouldn't be a bad Idea to do the same to the Welsh team now.

The All Blacks had one of those behind the scenes docs, didn't they? Never saw it but got the impression that the end product was definitely a puff piece with an eye on the American audience. The best one (imo) is probably still the Sunderland one on Netflix since they're so badly run and the documentary makers really don't hold back.

Would love to see one done properly about a 6N team or the Lions.

Last edited:
Fair enough, was just the impression I got from promos/articles. Could be well off.
This was All Or Nothing crew wasn't it?

Saw bits but really enjoy the College Football or NFL series too.
Aye, that's the one

Don't get me wrong - it definitely was Americanized, especially compared to ones like the Lions DVDs, but it's definitely well worth a watch

Aye, that's the one

Don't get me wrong - it definitely was Americanized, especially compared to ones like the Lions DVDs, but it's definitely well worth a watch
100% agree never saw it in full but the parts I did see I enjoyed. Nothing too revealing but nice to see how another area of the world and their guys go off field. Part I saw was following Read alot off the field. I enjoyed it.

The All Blacks had one of those behind the scenes docs, didn't they? Never saw it but got the impression that the end product was definitely a puff piece with an eye on the American audience. The best one (imo) is probably still the Sunderland one on Netflix since they're so badly run and the documentary makers really don't hold back.

Would love to see one done properly about a 6N team or the Lions.
I enjoyed it, the bits focusing on individual players gave the sort of insight that you don't really get anywhere else. Bin Smuth seemed like a good guy, Lima Sopoaga seemed very cool and chilled out, Kieran Read came across as really disingenuous to me, as if he'd really paid attention in every media relations seminar he'd been made to attend. My biggest complaint was the the longer it went on, the more it turned into a Lions tour highlights show.

With the CVC influence, a doc about the 6N seems more likely, but I'd like to see a Lions one too. I've lost count of the number of times I watched the original Living With The Lions, but for a variety of reasons they've gone progressively downhill, so I've welcome a different approach. If we get anything, it will be aimed at more at the casual follower than the hardcore fan, but I can live with that if it's the trade off for a bigger production budget.

Nah,
Faletau in his prime was close, don't get me wrong, but not these days

Think you're forgetting how good Heaslip was in that period
I watched Ireland V Wales in the 2009 season While I will agree Heaslip is a very robust 8 If that game is a reflection of his abilities then he falls short of being better than Faletau, what I noticed was that he was very good at falling the wrong side of a ruck witch today would be heavily penalised. But he was a busy player and involved himself when he needed too. Also to take comparisons of his 2009 form against a player who is coming back from a very long injury is a little short sighted.

This is precisely what's being debated though isn't it? 09 Heaslip v 21 Faletau
I disagree the question was who would you choose for the lions for positions of weakness, To pick dates where one player was at his peak against a player coming back from injury is not a fair comparison Faletau is getting back to fitness, Hopefully he can stay fit and if he does IMO there is no player past or present would challenge him for his lions position. But I will say Heaslip would be on the tour too, as he would be a very good 6.

So a fun question

The Lions satrting XV that day had

Rob Kearney
Tommy Bowe
BOD
Jamie Roberts
Luke Fitzgerald
Stephen Jones
Mike Phillips
Jamie Heaslip
David Wallace
Tom Croft
Paul O'Connell
Simon Shaw
Adam Jones
Matthew Rees
Gethin Jenkins

Bench

Ross Ford
Andrew Sheridan
AW Jones
Martyn Williams
Harry Ellis
Ronan the Destroyer
Shane Williams

Out of that team, if you could pick 3 players to take on tour this year, who would it be?
^^^
I disagree the question was who would you choose for the lions for positions of weakness, To pick dates where one player was at his peak against a player coming back from injury is not a fair comparison Faletau is getting back to fitness, Hopefully he can stay fit and if he does IMO there is no player past or present would challenge him for his lions position. But I will say Heaslip would be on the tour too, as he would be a very good 6.
Heaslip is retired

The question is would you take anyone from the 09 tour on the 21 tour. It's not a comparison of a players merits at his best, its literally exactly a comparison of Faletau now injured or not vs Heaslip in 09.

Latest posts