• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

LIONS PICK THEMSELVES

As good as all those hits were, it's obviously his ability above pretty much anyone else to get over the gainline that will get him in the team if fit. His tackling, while for the most part decent is higher than you would like as a coach in the current landscape. When players are colliding with each other at the speed of the game today, it is very difficult to correct yourself if an opposing player stoops for whatever reason.

As good as all those hits were, it's obviously his ability above pretty much anyone else to get over the gainline that will get him in the team if fit. His tackling, while for the most part decent is higher than you would like as a coach in the current landscape. When players are colliding with each other at the speed of the game today, it is very difficult to correct yourself if an opposing player stoops for whatever reason.
Exactly this. And let's face it, would you put it past a player to purposely dip a bit knowing it's a guaranteed penalty and maybe even a red?

Yeah. It only has to be a slight knock on the cheek and it's at least a penalty
You realise rugby players are still human with a sense of self-preservation? Willingly putting your head into a position where you know it will be in danger flies in the face of all natural instincts and players really are not willing to do that for the sake of milking a card. Most player when about to be tackled instinctively try to protect themselves, not open themselves up to even more harm.

You realise rugby players are still human with a sense of self-preservation? Willingly putting your head into a position where you know it will be in danger flies in the face of all natural instincts and players really are not willing to do that for the sake of milking a card. Most player when about to be tackled instinctively try to protect themselves, not open themselves up to even more harm.
Yeah obviously no one wants a head full of shoulder... the main point is though that it happens, whether it be an intentional dip or not. As a result I think the chop tackle should be more effective than ever in today's game.

Yeah obviously no one wants a head full of shoulder... the main point is though that it happens, whether it be an intentional dip or not. As a result I think the chop tackle should be more effective than ever in today's game.
Oh yeah it definitely happens, point I'm saying is no player will consciously choose to put their head in that sort of position to try to take advantage of another player being a bit high. Most ducking is an instinctive action to protect yourself too (generally as part of ducking the player will also angle themselves to try to get their arm/shoulder between the tackling player). I've never seen a player intentionally put their head in harms way outside of American football, those people are complete nutters and that comes with the perceived protection of the helmet. Apparently a fair few American football players have knocked themselves out trying to do the head charge in rugby.

I think a big thing about those tackles is you can see that for the North one, He's actually angled in such a way that North is quite low, but because of Tuilagi's leg position, and really squatting to explode into the tackle, he is textbook. The first hit is just perfect.

Regardless, knocking an attacker behind the gain line and forcing players to retreat for next phase is a great way to slow ball. Can be a destructive tackler and a good defender (strange to hear I know)

Tuilagi also gets away with it

Initial contact with the upper back at best... keep going?

Look situations arise and all sorts of players have been tackling high and pinged for it, it can get exaggerated by a big man on a smaller man. Like more obvious if a 22stone prop hits a 14 st wing high, and tuilagi is very powerful. However his technique is a hell of a lot better than most, he's no underhill, but still bloody good

Latest posts