• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions tour dates are out

That's because BBC rugby are horrendously biased to Wales, England and Wasps in that order. Common denominator?

That's because BBC rugby are horrendously biased to Wales, England and Wasps in that order. Common denominator?

Meh ... there are other teams that get more publicity on there than Wales.

Last edited:

Very true, although the Wasps thing isnt just confined to the BBC, with SKY and most of the broad sheets promoting Wasps players more than most. Hence the reason why we have some rather poor (Voyce Van Gisburge Payne), overrated (cipriani, Rees and Haskell) and over the hill ( Dayglo 2007 WC) players make the England team.

I can't wait...I love the B&I Lions! The last tour was some of the hardest hitting rucks and scrums I've ever seen. I'm hoping that the intensity is up on this tour to Aus.

Sucks that it starts in June for two reasons:

While the grounds are usually pretty good, it'd be nice for there to as little chance of rain as possible and 2:
Right after a Lions tour, the host generally procedes to tear up in the Tri Nations due to the test fitness (especially if they win the series). 2001 Australia win Tri Nations, 2005 New Zealand win Tri Nations, 2009 South Africa win Tri Nations.

How many Scottish players can we expect? Anywhere from one to three was what I was thinking(although things can change in 18 months) does anyone think differently?

The Premiership final being one week before the players are set to play the first game is still ridiculous. Move everything forwards a few weeks (I'm talking the start of the season) to give them at least a week's preparation and to have everybody available to play Vs. the Baa Baas. Hopefully the Pro12 board will give them a bit more time.

If you move everything forward then the international players will get barely any/no rest after the Summer tour the previous year

They should drop the Barbarians game, imo

right now I would say:

Good chance:
Richie Gray
Tim Visser

Decent chance:
Ross Ford
Mike Blair/Chris Cusiter/Rory Lawson

Outside chance:
Max Evans
Sean Lamont
Alastair Kellock
Euan Murray
Ross Ford
John Barclay
Kelly Brown

Richie Gray will be one of the starting secondrowers without question. Max Evans is a good shot at starting as 14. I´d have him over Bowe or Ashton.

I think the following could make the cut but won´t make the match day 22: Joe Ansbro, Ruaridh Jackson, Richie Vernon, John Barclay, Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford.

Oh how I wish Tim Visser would play for Holland.

So, thats quite a few Scot´s. Better than in 2009 and 2005.

BTW, I know it is not but should the laws for representing the Lions not be that a player is born in the U.K or Ireland?

If you move everything forward then the international players will get barely any/no rest after the Summer tour the previous year

They should drop the Barbarians game, imo
But Lions Vs Barbarians is a fixture I've always dreamt of seeing! I'd rather they just drop the idea of actually going to Australia. Perhaps they could arrange a friendly with an invitational side in Kent.

I don't see the point in the Barbarians game - it's literally just a money maker for HSBC/whoever
If it was being played in Australia I could understand it, as they're touring Australia, but it's in Hong Kong so has little/nothing to do with the tour.
It's also only a couple of days before their first game in Aus, so will either:
a) Cut down on their acclimatisation in Aus
or b) Mean a proper split between dirt roaders and test side like we saw in NZ (I think it was?), as half the squad will be in Aus, the other half in HK. Should try and keep it like 09 where it was a proper squad, not two separate ones.

Richie Gray will be one of the starting secondrowers without question. Max Evans is a good shot at starting as 14. I´d have him over Bowe or Ashton.

I think the following could make the cut but won´t make the match day 22: Joe Ansbro, Ruaridh Jackson, Richie Vernon, John Barclay, Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford.

BTW, I know it is not but should the laws for representing the Lions not be that a player is born in the U.K or Ireland?

Richie Gray I would expect will make the squad, but not guaranteed to start as there is Lawes, O'Connell and Alun-Wyn Jones, I think he the best UK lock but not guaranteed

I don't see Max Evans having much chance of starting as there is lots of competition at wing, Ashton, Bowe, Visser, North would be the main favourites and there is also Earls, Fitzgerald has lots of potential still and could of regained form by then

all those names would be only competing for about four spots as well

Richie Vernon won't go as Heaslip, Faletau are both much better

Barclay 12 months ago I would have thought would go, but with Warburton easily the best Lions 7 at the minute, and O'Brien looking like he will have to spend his time accommodating the awesome Ferris by playing at 7, the two 7 spots would appear taken

Dickinson is no way near the best loosehead in Scotland nevermind have a chance of a Lions spot, gets dominated every time he starts at international level

Ross Ford could go as there aren't too many standout candidates for hooker at the minute

Ansbro and Jackson are also both unlikely as there are better 10's (Sexton, Priestland, Flood) and 13's ahead (BOD, Tuilagi, Scott Williams probably will be, Hook playing as a centre)

Oh man I feel a Living With Lions 97 spell coming on. Just for the mild mannered, softly spoken Keith Wood is an animal factor.

Don't they usually announce the captaincy about 1yr to 9 months before...or am I dreaming that? I mean we're still 2 years away...who knows who'll be shinning? Sexton? O'Brien? Who's going to be BOD's successor for Ireland? Obviously I'm writting from an Irish fans perspective, but the same for the Welsh, Scots and English.

I quite fancey Sam Warburton to be the captain. I know it is a long time off, but one of his biggest aims has always been to make a lions squad.

The bloke even carries the lions shirt he was given as a kid away with him as some thing to aspire too now. So for leading by examle and desire and don't think he can be faulted.

The bolded is, in my opinion, one of the weirdest comments I've heard in just about forever. I wouldn't be so sure of Gray either and in general, you appear to be overrating the Scots players a fair bit imo.

As for your proposed change to the criteria for representing the Lions, you'd have just ruled out Ronan O'Gara (USA), Jamie Heaslip (Israel), Charlie Sharples (HK) and if he'd still been available, Thom Evans (Zimbabwe) - Max could have played, but his brother couldn't.

The bolded is, in my opinion, one of the weirdest comments I've heard in just about forever. I wouldn't be so sure of Gray either and in general, you appear to be overrating the Scots players a fair bit imo.

As for your proposed change to the criteria for representing the Lions, you'd have just ruled out Ronan O'Gara (USA), Jamie Heaslip (Israel), Charlie Sharples (HK) and if he'd still been available, Thom Evans (Zimbabwe) - Max could have played, but his brother couldn't.

The true test is whether a player from Scotland, Ireland, Wales or England could make the starting XV of all three other unions. Now, in my eyes, Gray would pair up with O´Connell for Ireland, Lawes for England and Wyn Jones for Wales. Evans would pair up with Bowe for Ireland, Ashton for England and North for Wales. I´d think these are the contenders and there is no chance two are better than Gray. 2 years to go mind you..... Sure, its my opinion and I know many don´t rate Max Evans so highly. If the guy were not Scottish he´d be rated higher. He´s the victim of having a defensive game plan and, too often, Dan Parks at flyhalf. Vs Los Pumas, in dreadful rain, Evans really moved about and had he had Priestland, Hook or O´Gara at pivot he would have some serious damage. Scotland´s game plan is not so complicated to defend against. I am nto kidding when I saw that I saw Luciano Orquera moving about far more to feed his runners and danger man in the World Cup.

Gray will, in no time, be spoken of as the Parisse or Clever of Scotland. I watched him in the stadium at non-stop for 60 minutes and the guy is really good. Something that sux about tv is the limited viewing as in person you can watch the player so much better - Gray has gas.... as we say in Brazilian Portuguese. Wyn-Jones, O´Connell are into their 30´s. I´d be surprized if Richie is not starting every international match for the Lions. Many players look good because of their team - so many players have looked good at the Crusaders. The lattest being Robbie Fruean - just aweful for the Barbarians. If Gray played for Munster, Clermont or the Warratahs he´d be considered better just bacause of his team. It works this way... sadly.

About point two... thats the way it should be. Unless we are talking about players who moved when they were children. Seeing Maori´s who went to England in their 20´s play for the Lions is utterly wrong. Its like getting France to wear kilts and Argentina to do the haka. The Lions are damaged by having these mercenaries and how they can even be there is just bizzare considering it is the power of four.

Last edited:
The true test is whether a player from Scotland, Ireland, Wales or England could make the starting XV of all three other unions. Now, in my eyes, Gray would pair up with O´Connell for Ireland, Lawes for England and Wyn Jones for Wales. Evans would pair up with Bowe for Ireland, Ashton for England and North for Wales. I´d think these are the contenders and there is no chance two are better than Gray. 2 years to go mind you..... Sure, its my opinion and I know many don´t rate Max Evans so highly. If the guy were not Scottish he´d be rated higher. He´s the victim of having a defensive game plan and, too often, Dan Parks at flyhalf. Vs Los Pumas, in dreadful rain, Evans really moved about and had he had Priestland, Hook or O´Gara at pivot he would have some serious damage. Scotland´s game plan is not so complicated to defend against. I am nto kidding when I saw that I saw Luciano Orquera moving about far more to feed his runners and danger man in the World Cup.

Gray will, in no time, be spoken of as the Parisse or Clever of Scotland. I watched him in the stadium at non-stop for 60 minutes and the guy is really good. Something that sux about tv is the limited viewing as in person you can watch the player so much better - Gray has gas.... as we say in Brazilian Portuguese. Wyn-Jones, O´Connell are into their 30´s. I´d be surprized if Richie is not starting every international match for the Lions. Many players look good because of their team - so many players have looked good at the Crusaders. The lattest being Robbie Fruean - just aweful for the Barbarians. If Gray played for Munster, Clermont or the Warratahs he´d be considered better just bacause of his team. It works this way... sadly.

About point two... thats the way it should be. Unless we are talking about players who moved when they were children. Seeing Maori´s who went to England in their 20´s play for the Lions is utterly wrong. Its like getting France to wear kilts and Argentina to do the haka. The Lions are damaged by having these mercenaries and how they can even be there is just bizzare considering it is the power of four.
Not sure who he is, but Alun Wyn Jones is only 26. Grey isn't bad, but not ahead of O'Connell, Lawes, AWJ or (in my opinion) Charteris. Max Evans is just pushing it, I think the fact that he is one of the decent players in that Scottish backline makes him stand out more. I really don't think he would start for Wales in any position.

Only the most deranged English fans believe that it was okay for Flutey to get picked, an outright shocking decision IMO.

And are you feeling alright?!? Alasdair Dickinson as a potential Lion!?! It's early hours, yet you have already made my day, nae the best possible start to a month yet!

Latest posts