• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Magners League Play-off race

Well, that all depends on Dragons really. If they beat Ulster, denying them a loosing bonus point in the process, than the Ospreys would likely pip them, considering they should certainly get the full 5 points away to Aironi. I'd back the Dragons to win at Rodney Parade, but maybe not by more than 7, so you are probably right, but the Dragons have put plenty of points on some good opposition this year, so Ulster aren't there yet! The Blues need to win one of their two remaining fixtures to secure their place in the top 4.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Aironi have improved this season and they will not let the Ospreys have anything. They should have the ability to beat Aironi by 5 points but they should have had the ability to have beaten a lesser Munster at Liberty and that didn't go so well. All in all if the Ospreys finish in the top 4, I very much doubt they will win the league or even win their semi final. At the end of the day they have regressed alot this season and this was really their opportunity to win something big this year as many of their big players are leaving at the end of the season.

Well, that all depends on Dragons really. If they beat Ulster, denying them a loosing bonus point in the process, than the Ospreys would likely pip them, considering they should certainly get the full 5 points away to Aironi. I'd back the Dragons to win at Rodney Parade, but maybe not by more than 7, so you are probably right, but the Dragons have put plenty of points on some good opposition this year, so Ulster aren't there yet! The Blues need to win one of their two remaining fixtures to secure their place in the top 4.

I'm not taking the Men of Gwent lightly, we saw where that the Ospreys, but simple truth is if we can't turn over over the Dragons anywhere, anyplace in a game of this magnitude - we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. They're not that good. This Ulster team's beaten Bath, Scarlets and Cardiff away this year, it travels well enough. Its had more high pressure matches this season, and have more players in general who've played that level. Yes, we squeaked a little playing them at Ravers, but we sent out a 19 year old to control a 3/4 line of 20 year olds in that game. We'll have had a game to rest while Newport will get battered around by a Cardiff team that knows anything less than victory isn't acceptable, and I think thats really important - I don't think its a coincidence our pack struggled a little against Connacht after going through Northampton and Leinster.

All due respect to Newport, this won't be easy and I won't be surprised when it goes ***s up, but Ulster should really win this one.

I know hope that we (The ospreys) don't qualify. Time for a change. New everything - Team, Coaching staff, board members the lot. The fact that Neath are not now considered as a feeder club is beyond me (i know about the rift between the financial backers of both parties).

I think if we were to qualify it would overshadow what has been a catastrophic season. Promised so much, but ended like every other season - a huge disappointment. I'd love to see the dragons qualify and get some credit. They've been by far one of the "true" regions of welsh rugby by developing young talent, and they should be applauded for that. Will most definitely be an interesting climax to the end of the season :D

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Aironi have improved this season and they will not let the Ospreys have anything. They should have the ability to beat Aironi by 5 points but they should have had the ability to have beaten a lesser Munster at Liberty and that didn't go so well. All in all if the Ospreys finish in the top 4, I very much doubt they will win the league or even win their semi final. At the end of the day they have regressed alot this season and this was really their opportunity to win something big this year as many of their big players are leaving at the end of the season.

Aironi are improving, but I'm quite confident that the Ospreys will get 4 tries against them, even away from home.

I can't see anything other than a Munster v Leinster final. Last season when the Ospreys beat Leinster away was in completely different context. Ospreys were in magnificent form in the closing stages of the Magners League (after getting knocked out of the HC). They beat Munster away from home, slaughtered Edinburgh in the Semi's and played the best I've seen against Leinster in the final. The Blues were also in great form, although they missed out on the Magners play-offs. This season, both the O's and Blues are playing some of the worst rugby I've seen from them. The Blues will struggle, especially without a solid scrum and a quality 10. Even if the Ospreys make the play-offs, I can't see them beating Munster away, although I wouldn't completely wright them off considering the way they took the Munster scrum apart on the weekend.

I'm not taking the Men of Gwent lightly, we saw where that the Ospreys, but simple truth is if we can't turn over over the Dragons anywhere, anyplace in a game of this magnitude - we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. They're not that good. This Ulster team's beaten Bath, Scarlets and Cardiff away this year, it travels well enough. Its had more high pressure matches this season, and have more players in general who've played that level. Yes, we squeaked a little playing them at Ravers, but we sent out a 19 year old to control a 3/4 line of 20 year olds in that game. We'll have had a game to rest while Newport will get battered around by a Cardiff team that knows anything less than victory isn't acceptable, and I think thats really important - I don't think its a coincidence our pack struggled a little against Connacht after going through Northampton and Leinster.

All due respect to Newport, this won't be easy and I won't be surprised when it goes ***s up, but Ulster should really win this one.

We'll see. Dragons are a very good team at home and if they want to improve then Ulster at home is a game they should win, as is the Blues game.

I agree that the Ospreys really did pick up momentum last year and they had quite a good Heineken cup. In the play offs they showed ruthlessness and hunger (although I thought they beat Glasgow in the semis?) and thats what seems to be missing this year. I think they need to look at themselves and ask how much do they really want the team to succeed? I seems to me that some players think its all about themselves and I would be glad to see some of those are leaving at the end of the season if I were and Ospreys fan.

We'll see. Dragons are a very good team at home and if they want to improve then Ulster at home is a game they should win, as is the Blues game.

If they improve, this'll no longer be one of those 'No Excuses' games on Ulster's (hopeful) upwards trajectory :p

Leinster: I Nacewa, S Horgan, E O'Malley, G D'Arcy, F McFadden, I Madigan, I Boss; J McGrath, R Strauss, S Wright, K McLaughlin, D Toner, D Ryan, S Jennings, J Heaslip (cpt).

Replacements: A Dundon, C Healy, M Ross, N Hines, R Ruddock, P O'Donohoe, I McKinley, D Kearney.

Glasgow: P Murchie, F Aramburu, M Bennett, G Morrison (cpt), D van der Merwe, D Weir, C Cusiter; R Grant, F Thomson, M Low, A Muldowney, T Ryder, J Eddie, R Vernon, J Beattie.

Replacements: D Hall, J Welsh, K Tkachuk , R Harley, C Fusaro, C Gregor, R Jackson, P Horn

I can't believe that the ospreys have made the play-offs. Don't get me wrong, im happy we've reached there, but i hope it doesn't overshadow the fact that we've been poor all season - I hope for a preseason of changes.

They won't get past Munster the way they've been playing! However with Shane possibly back, you never know.

Wouldn't put it past Ospreys to somehow wing their way into winning it - they're that kind of team, play poorly but manage to succeed :p

Ospreys did it last season so its not beyond them. Leinster however have been the best side all season.

Leinster kick ass the team they played last night can beat ulster if they put in o'brien i.e. ulsters nemesis

themonkeyhasgottired.jpg