• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 3 : Scotland Vs England 24/02/2018 16:45

Honestly, these mind games are so overrated. It's just something that contributes to the media circus. When England most likely win tomorrow it'll be down to the superior quality and depth of their squad coupled with some top class coaching and organisation. These pre match comments will have virtually no bearing on the outcome.

Maybe if they spent a little more effort on the rugby and not being petty they wouldn't be so crap at it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the Sais are never petty...

article-1367774-0B2E045E00000578-180_634x370.jpg

eyes.png

Agreed on Eddie Jones being a chode
If he was a character from fiction he'd be the mind controlling chode alien queen from Starship troopers
fb67815ff37329bc1c91bba723a1236f.jpg

It looks like four eyes either side of a large sphincter. Could be someone talking out of his ar5e.

Because the Sais are never petty...

article-1367774-0B2E045E00000578-180_634x370.jpg

eyes.png
Nowt wrong with that, England lined up where they were supposed to (the side they warmed up on and were starting on) and then were told after by some stage hand that they shouldn't stand there cause it was Ireland's lucky side so Johnson told the guy to **** off (he claims if the referee had told them to move they would have, but I doubt it haha)
Maybe if Ireland spent a little more time practising rugby and a little less time being so superstitious they wouldn't be ranked below us in the world rankings
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nowt wrong with that, England lined up where they were supposed to (the side they warmed up on and were starting on) and then were told after by some stage hand that they shouldn't stand there cause it was Ireland's lucky side so Johnson told the guy to **** off (he claims if the referee had told them to move they would have, but I doubt it haha)
Maybe if Ireland spent a little more time practising rugby and a little less time being so superstitious they wouldn't be ranked below us in the world rankings
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It was actually very wrong, went against protocol that had already been set and an age old rugby tradition as well as being an insult to our head of state! Maybe if England had some of the arrogance and ruthlessness of old to do that now they would be grand slam champions!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was actually very wrong, went against protocol that had already been set and an age old rugby tradition as well as being an insult to our head of state! Maybe if England had some of the arrogance and ruthlessness of old to do that now they would be grand slam champions!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We are the most recent nation to achieve a grand slam.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was actually very wrong, went against protocol that had already been set and an age old rugby tradition
Lining up the same way as you do in every stadium in the world except Dublin?

Who cares about Irish traditions, We invented the sport.
New rugby tradition: all Ireland rugby fans have to mail me a tenner.
image_58a5984f2a410.jpg

Lining up the same way as you do in every stadium in the world except Dublin?

Who cares about Irish traditions, We invented the sport.
New rugby tradition: all Ireland rugby fans have to mail me a tenner.
image_58a5984f2a410.jpg
Fwiw, Johnson did what he did and got an edge from it. That English side were never going to lose that day after 01 but Johnson saw that Ireland were a young side led be a green captain in BOD and took advantage. I doubt he'd have tried the same if Wood or Galway were captain as they'd have gotten their team to stand up face to face with the English and told them where to go.

Johnson did however disrespect Irish rugby, our president and, if they're your sort of thing, the values of the game by doing something that he knew was wrong. So, just like Jones when he was out of line commenting on Johnny Sexton's health, you as an English fan don't have to think any less of what he did but he was in the wrong and is seen as a knobend the rest of the world over for a reason!

The ROG pic has been more than cleared up at this stage... It's just a funny, opportunistic pic now.

Fwiw, Johnson did what he did and got an edge from it. That English side were never going to lose that day after 01 but Johnson saw that Ireland were a young side led be a green captain in BOD and took advantage. I doubt he'd have tried the same if Wood or Galway were captain as they'd have gotten their team to stand up face to face with the English and told them where to go.

Johnson did however disrespect Irish rugby, our president and, if they're your sort of thing, the values of the game by doing something that he knew was wrong. So, just like Jones when he was out of line commenting on Johnny Sexton's health, you as an English fan don't have to think any less of what he did but he was in the wrong and is seen as a knobend the rest of the world over for a reason!

The ROG pic has been more than cleared up at this stage... It's just a funny, opportunistic pic now.
how is doing something that is done before every single international game disrespecting the values of the game (which are mostly bs anyway)? if anything, saying you want to be special and line up differently from anyone else is disrespectful to these pointless ethos.

how is doing something that is done before every single international game disrespecting the values of the game (which are mostly bs anyway)? if anything, saying you want to be special and line up differently from anyone else is disrespectful to these pointless ethos.
In every international sporting event in Ireland the away team lines up on the left to meet our president first, it's not just rugby. Every single captain who has led their country in Dublin apart from Johnson had no problem with this, it was disrespectful to our president and Irish rugby. I don't really care about the values of rugby but Olyy often criticises players who exaggerate penalty claims or chat to a ref so I assume he does and that's why I mentioned it.

It's easy to win mind games when you coach the no.2 team in the world and whatever you say is usually backed up with a win. I doubt it will have any affect on Townsend or Russell.

I expect the England forwards to lay the platform for a comfortable win by around 10 points.

Yeah, it's not big or clever. Complete silence from EJ before matches when coaching Japan but now he's more willing to comment on opponents before the match at the helm of one of the two European rugby giants.

In football it's notable that the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson would likely have had less to say if they didn't have massive economic superior over some of their rivals.

I can see why it's entertaining for a neutral though. Sooner EJ than another robot with media training.

In every international sporting event in Ireland the away team lines up on the left to meet our president first, it's not just rugby. Every single captain who has led their country in Dublin apart from Johnson had no problem with this, it was disrespectful to our president and Irish rugby. I don't really care about the values of rugby but Olyy often criticises players who exaggerate penalty claims or chat to a ref so I assume he does and that's why I mentioned it.
I heard this story direct from a player who was there on the day. The English team were sent out and originally told to stand that side. Then When the little fella who made said mistake asked Johnson to move to the other side he said F off. Doubt Johnson or any of the team gave any thought to which side they were on, they simply weren't willing to move once positioned. Arguably the whole thing could have been mind games on the part of the Irish, and it simply backfired. Let's make the English dance to our tune and get some early psychological advantage. I guess we'll never really know. Didn't go well for Ireland in any event.

I'm pretty sure it was Mike Tyson who said that he won every fight before he ever threw a punch. Mind games are a huge part of top level sport and Jones is a master. He takes all the pressure of his players and piles it onto the other teams and often gets right under the skin of the other teams coaches, which is bound to impact on the team.

And who doesn't love some top bants?

Latest posts