• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 3 : Scotland Vs England 24/02/2018 16:45

As I stated in my initial post, I'm a League fan, who watches Union on TV. I would interpret this reply in League terms, that after the PTB any technical infringement, knock-on, forward pass cannot be punished. Is this correct?

Don't know why this has gone unanswered, but yes that's a rough approximation.

Welcome and I'm a fellow league (and union) fan, what team do you follow?

Yup, glad he got called up on it. I saw it in game and was surprised there was nothing done then and there. This coming from a quins fan who still has PTSD from marlers suspension a few weeks ago

I love it when England get smashed.
The prissy trolls on here lose the plot.
That includes you Olly.
All manner of trolling and bad language is considered to be acceptable in the defence of national pride.
You got belted, you were very second best, and your coach is a muppet.
Grand Slam gone.
English rugby top level improvement = static.

Joe Schmidt will be sleeping peacefully.
Congratulations Scotland on a glorious and surprisingly easy victory.

Reading your posts on this thread it's clear you have an extremely deep personal vendetta against Eddie Jones (I'm assuming it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing?) but to try & suggest he's done anything other than an excellent job so far is quite bizarre. Static improvement? He's taken us from a team who were knocked out in the group stage of our own World Cup to a team who equalled the longest ever winning run of internationals. We're now deservedly the #2 team in the world. Every team loses eventually, it's how you respond that reveals the most about where a team is at.

it's clear you have an extremely deep personal vendetta against Eddie Jones (I'm assuming it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing)

Or possibly a HUGE bet on England pre tournament for the grand slam :p

On the Wilson citing; personally wouldn't classify it as a bannable offence as he was clearly just trying to get Hughes off of him but history has shown that regardless of intention, contact with the eye area is a ban for the recklessness of it. For consistency's sake I think a ban has to be given.

it's clear you have an extremely deep personal vendetta against Eddie Jones (I'm assuming it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing)

Or possibly a HUGE bet on England pre tournament for the grand slam :p
You won't find many Aussies/Kiwis who have much love for EJ (or players for that matter).

Featherstone Rovers.
KR are my adopted club after they gained promotion years ago now and everyone wrote them off, but they survived. Reminded me of my home town team of Bristol about a decade or so ago before we got involved with Bristol Sport.

Apparently we are getting a RL franchise starting in Bristol soon to replace and build on the one in Gloucester. Bit off-topic though, but thread seems to have run its course! :)

KR are my adopted club after they gained promotion years ago now and everyone wrote them off, but they survived. Reminded me of my home town team of Bristol about a decade or so ago before we got involved with Bristol Sport.

Apparently we are getting a RL franchise starting in Bristol soon to replace and build on the one in Gloucester. Bit off-topic though, but thread seems to have run its course! :)
Good luck with that. The track record of non heartland RL sides is not encouraging.

Good luck with that. The track record of non heartland RL sides is not encouraging.
The lack of a top flight Union club in Bristol will help them over Gloucester.

More likely to be a Lansdowne vanity project though; and he CAN afford to throw £2M a year* at such a thing - Given his fondness for joined-up-thinking; I'd guess that he'd also see it as a place for Brizzle academy kids to get some game time; and to poach the odd league player to union. I wouldn't be too surprised if he combines the younger academies to just "rugby"; then pack them off as theeir skills indicate; keeping the better athletes for Union (which seems to be his first love of the 2 codes).
Season for ticket for one gaining entry to t'other combined with a decent student population (so lots of Northerners) should lead to a decentish crowd, even if their not paying full-wack. Get a 500 average attendance, and they won't be bottom of that table.
It could work, and is certainly a better bet than Gloucester (whilst being close enough to retain both fans from there); but only for as long as SL is happy to lose that £2M per season*

£2M per season would, of course, be for Super League' I'd presume something like 1/10 of that for League 1; and 1/4 of that for Championship. I could very easily see Lansdowne paying for it with a crowd of 0 full-price tickets for a good decade or so in the Championship, and if it goes reasonably, paying for the upgrade to Super League. Facilities and Admin would all already be there for that level; it would literally just be a case of finding some fans; and how much money he'd be willing to throw at it.

Last edited:
Ryan Wilson still has disciplinary issues which is very disappointing given that Dave Rennie entrusted him with the captaincy at Glasgow.

Also for an 8 he is not a great ball carrier. I actually rate Denton and Strauss higher and so any ban may not hinder the Scots too much in the last two rounds.

The lack of a top flight Union club in Bristol will help them over Gloucester.

More likely to be a Lansdowne vanity project though; and he CAN afford to throw £2M a year* at such a thing - Given his fondness for joined-up-thinking; I'd guess that he'd also see it as a place for Brizzle academy kids to get some game time; and to poach the odd league player to union. I wouldn't be too surprised if he combines the younger academies to just "rugby"; then pack them off as theeir skills indicate; keeping the better athletes for Union (which seems to be his first love of the 2 codes).
Season for ticket for one gaining entry to t'other combined with a decent student population (so lots of Northerners) should lead to a decentish crowd, even if their not paying full-wack. Get a 500 average attendance, and they won't be bottom of that table.
It could work, and is certainly a better bet than Gloucester (whilst being close enough to retain both fans from there); but only for as long as SL is happy to lose that £2M per season*

£2M per season would, of course, be for Super League' I'd presume something like 1/10 of that for League 1; and 1/4 of that for Championship. I could very easily see Lansdowne paying for it with a crowd of 0 full-price tickets for a good decade or so in the Championship, and if it goes reasonably, paying for the upgrade to Super League. Facilities and Admin would all already be there for that level; it would literally just be a case of finding some fans; and how much money he'd be willing to throw at it.
I'm not sure this is the place to discuss this, but in order to establish a SL club in a place like Bristol, would need someone with mega money, who's prepared to lose a lot of it for, say ten years or so. Bring in a few big name Union players perhaps, with some hardened British RL pros, plus a couple of big name NRL players. Use this as a base to attract promising local players to an academy side. Might work, might not. Hasn't worked in London, they've been there in some form or another since 1980, but can hardly be described as established.

I'm not sure this is the place to discuss this, but in order to establish a SL club in a place like Bristol, would need someone with mega money, who's prepared to lose a lot of it for, say ten years or so. Bring in a few big name Union players perhaps, with some hardened British RL pros, plus a couple of big name NRL players. Use this as a base to attract promising local players to an academy side. Might work, might not. Hasn't worked in London, they've been there in some form or another since 1980, but can hardly be described as established.

This is funny. Why would you recommend a method of establishing an SL Club in a place like Bristol if it hasn't worked in a place like London? Even the most bored, richest most financially opulent person would be a mug to throw money in like that? Having said that, I have no alternative working model to suggest.

This is funny. Why would you recommend a method of establishing an SL Club in a place like Bristol if it hasn't worked in a place like London? Even the most bored, richest most financially opulent person would be a mug to throw money in like that? Having said that, I have no alternative working model to suggest.
I don't recommend it. I don't think RL can be established out of the heartlands any more than Union can be established in a meaningful way in the RL heartlands. Leeds tried to get their fans to watch the Union side, by staging a game as a curtain raiser to a Rhinos game, the fans ostentatiously turned their backs on the Union game. But if someone wants to have a go, that's the way to do it. No one is going to turn out week after week to watch a team that gets hammered. A successful side may be a different kettle of fish, but I doubt it. I'm reminded of the story of New Brighton. In the early twentieth century there was an attempt to establish New Brighton (on the Mersey opp. Liverpool) as a major resort, there was even a tower like Blackpool. They built a sports stadium, and set up a soccer side, and populated it with the big names of the day. But it didn't tempt the Liverpool and Everton fans. People have their loyalties.

Hi got back home from the game last night
I had a fantastic time made some great Scottish rugby fan friends
The citing offence happened right in front of me I really can't understand how the tmo wasn't called in as it was right in front of the touch judge
Secondly the first try Jones clearly pushes jj as he attempts to fall on the ball no try for me most of our group thought the same
Thirdly England failed to adjust to Owens allowing players to rest their hands past the ball in the Aviva they are pinged for it all day

Reading your posts on this thread it's clear you have an extremely deep personal vendetta against Eddie Jones (I'm assuming it's an Aussie/Kiwi thing?)

I'd doubt its an Aussie/Kiwi thing.

Eddie Jones is a rat. His singling out of a young player getting their big chance in the 6N last time out - with a very personal attack - was extremely distasteful at best - but probably disgusting to most (non-English some/most of whom might consider it #bants).

Gatland isn't much better, but that'd be a low blow even he hasn't went to IIRC.

I don't recommend it. I don't think RL can be established out of the heartlands any more than Union can be established in a meaningful way in the RL heartlands. Leeds tried to get their fans to watch the Union side, by staging a game as a curtain raiser to a Rhinos game, the fans ostentatiously turned their backs on the Union game. But if someone wants to have a go, that's the way to do it. No one is going to turn out week after week to watch a team that gets hammered. A successful side may be a different kettle of fish, but I doubt it. I'm reminded of the story of New Brighton. In the early twentieth century there was an attempt to establish New Brighton (on the Mersey opp. Liverpool) as a major resort, there was even a tower like Blackpool. They built a sports stadium, and set up a soccer side, and populated it with the big names of the day. But it didn't tempt the Liverpool and Everton fans. People have their loyalties.
TBF I'd have turned my back on Leeds RU as well but it wouldn't have been because of the code itself. ;)

League does have a presence down here, believe it or not, I dabbled in both codes in my teens in rural towns and we have the likes of http://www.bristolsonics.com who have been around a while. Like in the north rugby has a strong working class following here; bit different to London - them unmentionables down the road (Barf) the exception - which has probably helped.

The project I referred to is this http://www.allgoldsrugby.com , and the talk around Ashton Gate is whether SL is going to get involved or not. I guess not at this stage but I wouldn't be surprised if it was being looked at, the focus obviously being Bristol RFC and Bristol City FC as both are capable of competing at the top of the club game and selling out Ashton Gate's 27k capacity. I guess that there would be some cross over from both the union and soccer (people like me, I guess) which is where main interest would be generated. Plus running a league club is considerably cheaper than both. Our basketball (Flyers) is also proving to be very successful and I don't think many would have predicted that so I would not totally rule out high profile league around Bristol at this stage yet.

On topic a bit more; I was surprised the contact with eye area wasn't looked at during the game. When should we expect to hear the results of the citing?

I'd doubt its an Aussie/Kiwi thing.

Eddie Jones is a rat. His singling out of a young player getting their big chance in the 6N last time out - with a very personal attack - was extremely distasteful at best - but probably disgusting to most (non-English some/most of whom might consider it #bants).

Gatland isn't much better, but that'd be a low blow even he hasn't went to IIRC.

This is actually true. Jones does spill some bile at times. And its interesting to see that this bile has become more potent with the chips pointing in a downward direction. Maybe now his true colours will become apparent to all, not just the few. Sure Gatland is no angel, but the fact that he is more softly spoken and gets his point across with a less is more vibe, speaks volumes.