• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Cycling season

Great, great performance from Valverde today....super attacking ride! The game is on........1-4 Valverde, Quintana,Contador and Froome......

Great, great performance from Valverde today....super attacking ride! The game is on........1-4 Valverde, Quintana,Contador and Froome......

Incredible finish there. Most surprising was Quintana looking so comfortable, then apparently having nothing left in the tank at the end.
Really intelligent race by Froome today, stealing a few seconds.
Really developing into a great GT, can't wait for the proper mountains.

Yes Froome did well after that fall! Delighted for the winner to hang on.......160kms out front!

Yes Froome did well after that fall! Delighted for the winner to hang on.......160kms out front!
Yeah, he seems a genuinely 'liked by everyone' rider as well. Not quite a Tony Martin attempt (he must still have nightmares about that), but great to see the breakaway succeed, and the respect shown to Ryder by the others from the breakaway to not compete vs him for 2nd.

............ and the respect shown to Ryder by the others from the breakaway to not compete vs him for 2nd.

HaHa......agree but would add, with a little smile, they looked too effing knackered to have done so even if they had wanted to!!!!

Tough day for Froomie today as Valverde, Quintana and Contador showed they had the legs......great battle by Sandoval though and deserved his stage victory!!

I have a sneaking feeling that Contador's "broken leg" was more a broken bone in his leg than one of the main bones!!! Am I being cynical of an ex-doper?

Yeah, it was a fracture, but 'broken leg' sounds more impressive than 'slight fracture in one of the bones'.

Froomey didn't like those conditions today, but even with the rest day, it will be interesting to see what Contador has left in his tank. He seemed to use up one hell of a lot for a very small advantage there. Quintana looked much stronger today, but I expect Valverde to 'blow up' on at least one mountain stage, so don't really see him as a genuine contender come race end.

TT is going to be interesting as well, to see if any of the GC guys really want to give it 100%.

Yeah, it was a fracture, but 'broken leg' sounds more impressive than 'slight fracture in one of the bones'.

Froomey didn't like those conditions today, but even with the rest day, it will be interesting to see what Contador has left in his tank. He seemed to use up one hell of a lot for a very small advantage there. Quintana looked much stronger today, but I expect Valverde to 'blow up' on at least one mountain stage, so don't really see him as a genuine contender come race end.

TT is going to be interesting as well, to see if any of the GC guys really want to give it 100%.

The way Froome was talking....he is going big time for the TT!

The way Froome was talking....he is going big time for the TT!

Yeah, I think where SKy are superior with their GC guys is in the TT. They may lose a few seconds on sprints/climbs, but Froome (and Especially Wiggins) are far superior in the TT's (which seems to have resulted in much shorter ITT's in Le Tour)(I like the white jersey for the 'overall points thingy' that the Vuelta has).

Yeah, I think where SKy are superior with their GC guys is in the TT. They may lose a few seconds on sprints/climbs, but Froome (and Especially Wiggins) are far superior in the TT's (which seems to have resulted in much shorter ITT's in Le Tour)(I like the white jersey for the 'overall points thingy' that the Vuelta has).

Think the green jersey is debased a bit by points for every finish taking the sprinters out of contention and leaving them only with occasional stage wins to go for?

Think the green jersey is debased a bit by points for every finish taking the sprinters out of contention and leaving them only with occasional stage wins to go for?
I don't think so. Green Jersey is still the sprinters jersey, but I just like the 'best at everything' idea of the white jersey. (Although I imagine Sagan will probably make it his own next year if he competes. Damn that climbing sprinter!)

I don't think so. Green Jersey is still the sprinters jersey, but I just like the 'best at everything' idea of the white jersey. (Although I imagine Sagan will probably make it his own next year if he competes. Damn that climbing sprinter!)

I bet you a penny that the Green jersey will NOT be won by a sprinter who have no chance of getting points in the mountains stages...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_classification_in_the_Vuelta_a_España..................

"The points classification in the Vuelta a España is a secondary classification in the Vuelta a España, in which the cyclists are ranked in a points classification based on the stage rankings."

Qunitana was a very lucky boy yesterday and Contador made a huge bid to win the Tour as Froome was inexplicably lacklustre...

Yeah, was shocked by Froome. Looked like they may have miscalculated the time, so he was riding at a certain pace. He didn't look like he was struggling at all, so maybe has saved some for the next few stages. (aklthough giving up that much time, I can't really see him getting it back without misfortune falling Contador's way.)
Quintana's crash was nuts. A real 'OUCH!' moment.
Apart from Froome's awful run, I was shocked by how good Valverde did. Didn't think he had it in him to do that pace.

Yeah, was shocked by Froome. Looked like they may have miscalculated the time, so he was riding at a certain pace. He didn't look like he was struggling at all, so maybe has saved some for the next few stages. (aklthough giving up that much time, I can't really see him getting it back without misfortune falling Contador's way.)
Quintana's crash was nuts. A real 'OUCH!' moment.
Apart from Froome's awful run, I was shocked by how good Valverde did. Didn't think he had it in him to do that pace.

Sorry Taff.....did not mention Valverde.....yes it was a brilliant ride from him that was eclipsed by Contador.......!!

Missed yesterdays race, but looks (from the results) like Froome just doesn't have the pace/stamina at the moment. Think his confidence may be shot from falling off so much lately.

Froome has been there and there abouts....on the first climb he was very close to being dropped, made his way back, attacked even although briefly and than clung on and that was repeated yesterday....do not think he is anywhere near where he was last year due to that injury but he may get back toward that as the tour goes on. Certainly, he is pushing himself and the only way to get the race fitness is to race!!

"Sir" Chris Froome once again dropped as Valverde, Contador and Rodriguez disappeared up the 20% climb but wait, is that not Froome coming up and catching them, yes it is........not only that but he passed them and beat them to the line moving up from 7th to 3rd and behind by 1m13!

Guess you can say that he is coming back into form!!

Two BIG stages to come in next two days as they are up it the Pico mountains....which is where I am off to on Monday!!!

Saw this one!
I swear if he went up just one gear, he'd disappear into the distance. The cadence he keeps up is incredible, but the gear seems one too small at the moment.
Enjoy yourself up the Pico, and take a bat for all the foo's who crowd into the road stopping any overtaking!

Enjoy yourself up the Pico, and take a bat for all the foo's who crowd into the road stopping any overtaking!

That could be me.......................!!! Actually, they leave Santander today and head up into the Picos but we are starting of at St Vincent de Barquera and then to Potes in the Pico so will probably miss the action but need to make sure I have wifi access!!!

Latest posts