• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand in South Africa

Milestones for Oram, Vettori as NZ forge unlikely lead
17 April 2006 
By CHRIS BARCLAY

CENTURION: Jacob Oram returned from a 17-month test cricket hiatus to again torment South Africa as the towering allrounder dragged New Zealand back from oblivion after a moribund top order collapse overnight.

An injury-blighted Oram â€" batting for the first time at test level since the Adelaide Oval in late November 2004 â€" notched his second century in five innings with his demoralising career-best 133 propelling the Blacks Caps to a scarcely conceivable 51-run first innings lead at SuperSport Park after they were left floundering at 45 for five leading up to an unpalatable lunch break.

By stumps they had a 47-run bonus after South African openers Graeme Smith and Herscelle Gibbs negotiated one over in their second innings.

The Central Districts captain, out of action at test level due to a succession of back stress fractures and a heel injury, has developed a penchant for inflicting pain on the Proteas.

At Hamilton in March 2004 he complied his maiden test century â€" 119 not out â€" as the Black Caps overhauled South Africa's imposing 459 in the drawn first test.

He shared a 113-run stand with Daniel Vettori at Westpac Park then and the pair reunited at a parlous 89 for six today to easily eclipse that effort with a rapid face-saving 183-run liaison for the seventh wicket off just 234 balls.

Vettori's role could not be understated, his intelligent 81 studded with 11 boundaries, the perfect foil for Oram's occasionally high-risk hitting as the duo made light of surviving on a supposed minefield.

When Vettori stole a single to go to 56, he reached his own notable milestone â€" becoming just the 12th test player to attain the 2000 run 200 wicket test double.

He barely acknowledged the achievement, briefly pointing his bat to the dressing room, and Oram was equally unassuming when a three through midwicket saw him past three figures for the third time in his 18th test.

The celebration was far from extravagant as Oram saluted the dressing room and embraced Vettori.

"I think it was a combination of a couple of things," he said of his relatively muted reaction.

"Firstly being out of test cricket for however long it's been since Australia and also the nervousness and anxiety I had pre-test.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"It built up due to the fact I hadn't played for so long. You're always doubting yourself â€" am I up to speed after such a long break?

"But it was an unbelievable feeling especially considering the position we had found ourselves in."

Oram plundered an unbeaten 126 with the tail against Australia in his first innings of his last test series at The Gabba and surpassed that mark with a lofted drive to the rope off Dale Steyn.

Content to play a support role when Brendon McCullum (31) sought to blast New Zealand out of strife after lunch, Oram relentlessly gathered momentum as the Proteas' attack wilted.

He brought up his half-century â€" off 85 balls â€" with his ninth boundary and twice turned on the Black Caps' early morning nemesis Makhaya Ntini as he marched to his hundred.

Oram, who was dropped by Boeta Dippenaar and Steyn on 33 and 61, slammed the paceman over square leg on to the grassy embankment â€" the first six of the match â€" to cruise through the 70s and later carved consecutive boundaries and another massive clearance to power New Zealand past 300.

He finally holed out to Pollock off Steyn shortly after Chris Martin arrived in support to spike the innings at a better-than-expected 327.

Oram belted 18 boundaries and the two sixes in his 169-ball stay, his belligerence sustaining a run rate of 4.5 an over from the outset â€" an impressive achievement considering the Black Caps horrendous start in pursuit of South Africa's 276.

Although the scoring was Australian-esque the scorecard bore little resemblance to the world champions until McCullum, Oram and Vettori (81 off 116 balls) combined to stop the rot.

The Black Caps' top order was spooked by Ntini, who took 3-22 in his opening onslaught, although Stephen Fleming was desperately unlucky to be caught and bowled off his pad for a five-ball duck in his 100th test.

His team-mates had little excuse as flawed technique undermined their ability to survive on a track that Oram described as challenging "but not unplayable."

Only new opener Peter Fulton (14) and Scott Styris (17) made double figures before the onus was again put on the lower middle order to navigate the team to respectability.

Ntini eventually mopped up the tail to claim 5-94 off a relatively expensive 19 overs while Steyn, in just his fourth test, had 2-95 of 18.2 after also copping punishment from Oram and co.

"There was a good feeling at lunch, but it ended up a mixed day and an ordinary end," South African coach Micky Arthur lamented.

"Just when you think you're through Jacob popped up and played fantastically well. Just when you think you're through another little partnership developed."

[/b]

I watched Orams innings and it was class, at the start he was slow leaving alot of balls while wickets were falling around him. Then McCullum came in and he hit out as he usually does, and got done by a good ball. Then Vettori came out he played sensibily hitting the bad balls. The south africans bowled to short and just didnt look like they were trying to take wickets, just thinking it would just happen.

Was great to see the fight back from 45 for 5 to have a lead of 51 :D wicked :D

As soon as jacob went into bat i said "he's gunna get his 50" and he did :D i was very proud .. i wouldnt go to bed until he hit the 50th run. But he was on 49 for about 2 or 3 overs so i went to bed in the break for the next over to begin and he finally hit it :bravo:

Dan Vettori also did awesome too B)

AB de Villiers turns the table

The Bulletin by Will Luke

April 17, 2006

South Africa 276 and 280 for 9 (de Villiers 97, Steyn 5*, Ntini 0*) lead New Zealand 327 (Oram 133, Vettori 81, Ntini 5-94) by 229 runs
Scorecard and ball-by-ball details
How they were out

AB de Villiers fought magnificently to put South Africa into a strong position on day three © Getty Images

AB de Villiers struck a fine innings of 97, and Nicky Boje chipped in with a vital cameo to wrestle back the initiative for South Africa on the third day of the first Test against New Zealand at Centurion. With good support from the lower-order, and from Jacques Kallis earlier in the day, de Villiers has given South Africa a sizeable lead of 229 runs. A lead of any sorts, however, seemed a fanciful notion following a collapse to 73 for 4.

de Villiers played beautifully. Considering the gaping hole South Africa found themselves in, his determination to drag back the initiative was remarkably impressive. He came to the crease with his team effectively 12 for 4 and, with the pitch proving to be a minefield, New Zealand had total control over proceedings. Their opening bowlers in particular, Chris Martin and James Franklin, used their height to excellent effect; balls were spitting off a length and passing the bat with such frequency the batsmen could only wear a wry smile, forget about the last delivery, and concentrate on the next.

This is exactly what de Villiers and Kallis did so expertly. Their partnership of 67 spanned 25 overs. Turgid it might have been, but the pair were laying a solid foundation and eking out a handy lead. It was a situation tailor-made for Kallis. Having missed out on a sizeable score in the first innings, he made up for it today - in what is his 100th Test match - with an innings of true grit, resolve and determination. Technically the best batsman in South Africa, even he struggled with the bounce and conditions as Kyle Mills, not known for his pace, found several balls to shoot off a length, one of which cannoned into Kallis' chest. It was a disconcerting sight, not least for the waiting batsmen.

Despite the painful blow, he ploughed on with admirable determination. Yet after reaching his 39th Test fifty, seemingly en route to another Kallis Special, he was out-thought by the New Zealand captain, Stephen Fleming, who introduced Scott Styris to the attack. Eyeing easy runs, especially when Styris gave him a half-tracker, he spooned one down Daniel Vettori's throat at deep fine-leg. It was a discouraging, depressing dismissal, at a point when South Africa were looking increasingly comfortable.

In fact, today's events were a near carbon copy of yesterday. Like New Zealand, South Africa were cut apart in the morning session only to recover in the afternoon. And while Kallis' dismissal had the New Zealanders understandably slapping each others backs in celebration, de Villiers remained solid much as Jacob Oram had for the Kiwis yesterday.

New Zealand were in control for the morning session, leaving South Africa tottering on 73 for 4 © Getty Images

Not until after tea did he and the lower-order take the attack to the bowlers. After Fleming opted to take the new ball, runs leaked from the bat with alarming ease: Boje and de Villiers took the initiative away from New Zealand with a brisk 65-run partnership from just 14 overs. All of a sudden the lead had extended beyond 180 and New Zealand's grip on the game was loosening fast.

It was South Africa who were playing catch-up cricket earlier in the day, however. Martin and Franklin bowled with menace, on a pitch offering substantial movement, rapping batsmen on the gloves, on the helmet and the forearms with painful regularity. Graeme Smith and Herschelle Gibbs both fell within the first half an hour and Boeta Dippenaar scratched unconvincingly for 16 before edging one to Fleming, who took a brilliant catch at first slip. Once Ashwell Prince fell - edging Franklin meekly for the second time in the match - South Africa had only survival on their minds.

As Oram's heroics yesterday proved, it takes just one innings to turn a match around and de Villiers did just that. Though he fell three short of his fourth Test hundred, he had rescued South Africa from a hazardous position into one of authority. With a lead stretching beyond 200 and with a pitch starting to wear, New Zealand will have to fight with all the courage de Villiers, and Oram, have displayed and then some.

How they were out

Graeme Smith lbw b Martin 7 (8 for 1)
Straightened on him, beaten by movement

Herschelle Gibbs c Styris b Franklin 2 (19 for 2)
Angelled across, nervous poke to second slip

Boeta Dippenaar c Fleming b Oram (42 for 3)
Off-cutter edged to first slip who dived forward, brilliant catch

Ashwell Prince c McCullum b Franklin 11 (73 for 4)
Held its line, but dreadful shot selection

Jacques Kallis c Vettori b Styris 62 (140 for 5)
Bouncer pulled to deep fine leg

Mark Boucher b Mills 21 (194 for 6)
Dragged on an inswinger

Shaun Pollock lbw b Vettori 10 (205 for 7)
Drifted in and hit the pad...perhaps a little unlucky

AB de Villiers c Franklin b Oram 97 (270 for 8)
Driven upishly to extra-cover

Nicky Boje c McCullum b Astle 31 (276 for 9)
Wafer-thin edge to the keeper, fine catch

Will Luke is editorial assistant of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo
[/b]

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/rsavnz/con...ory/244629.html

didnt see this day, my girlfriend came home and i hadnt seen her for a couple of weeks so i was busy.

but will defintaly watch tonight, will be a good four day test if saf leak runs at 4.5 an over like they did on the second day. If they lose it thats why IMO :D

AB de Villiers fought magnificently to put South Africa into a strong position on day three © Getty Images[/b]

Strong Position??? We only have a lead of 229 and nine wickets are down in the Second Innings. That's a terrible position to be in.

Agree it's hardly a strong position being on the verge of being bowled out with 2 days to go but... each of the last 2 innings have had both top orders shuffling round the crease like pre-schoolers so it's all on here, especially of Ntini gets fired up again. I just hope Oram, Vettori, McCullum etc can pull us through again, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who is sick of seeing NZ dicked everytime we venture into SA...

yep should be a good evening tonight looking forward to it.

and no way is it a strong position (i hardly read all the articles i post just the first few lines and just post them here hoping someone cares)

looking forward to an evening sitting infront of the projector watching cricket :)

Ah projector, nice touch. I think Fulton is the key for the Black Caps, and Flem getting past single figures. If either of those two get near a 50 I reckon we'll be right, just have to see off the new ball and then capitalise on the older ball, basically copy Oram from 1st innnings :)

Will be a boost to have Bond back next test (fingers crossed he doesn't sneeze and injure something or have Bracewell think he's caught bird flu), although Flem must be pleased Martin, Franklin and co have finally stepped up and consistantly delivered whenever he isn't there. Although they do seem to sit back when he is there, or is he just that good they don't get a show in???

OMG.... WTF????? :D :D :D
New Zealand are chasing 249 for victory... and :eek: 34 / 6 at lunch??? Is the pitch bad? I have no tv coverage of the game in Perth.

i am watching it, its a combination of great bowling by ntini and the ball moving around alot. Also some dodgy decisions to play the ball as well but that happens. all in all no dodgy shots just some good disciplined bowling by the saffas.

mark richardson summed it up well, new zealnd didnt handle the ball well. hamish marshall still in i have no idea how. mills up the order at 3 seamingly to try take off the gloss of the ball but he lasted 2 balls.

bad light at the moment, ball swinging a mile. saffs in the box seat and i am ******

My goodness, I knew I shouldn't of got so excited. Really thought we had this. It time for another huge partnership. lol at putting Mills up the order, just made our top 3 even shitter. Wouldn't it have been smarter to send Vettori to do that job seeing he is far more handy with the bat.

RAIN GOD DAMIT RAIN

btw whats a.b's first name lol does anyone know it. The radio sport dude..AND IT AINT KENT...doesnt know it. He got me thinking :p

South Africa 276 & 299
New Zealand 327 & 79/7 (26.0 ov)
DL Vettori 4, HJH Marshall 22

If it doesn't **** down for 2 days straight we're screwed, why can't we win in SA???!

Dodgy pitch doesn't help, yeah yeah same for both teams yadda yadda...

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 19 2006, 12:56 AM
Because they're better than you guys :D
Ouch, truth hurts you know... although wasn't that long ago we were ranked #2 in both forms of the game, ok maybe it was a while ago :p

Praise be thy cricketing gods though, I do believe rain has intervened and temporarily saved us, hope there's more of the same in day 5.

i wouldnt mind seing a morning of cricket (in the evening) tonight, new zealand dont deserve to win with the position they haev put themselves in. Looking at some of the replays (again) they shouldnt have been playing the shots that they were. they were trying to hit some balls that wearnt there to be hit. bu tthats proably 2 much one day cricket for ya.

good to see marshall still in and i hope he ends up carrying his bat, though i dont think he should have played in this test.

next test i would like to see papps and how open, they are proper openers, then fleming, styris, astle, mccullum, oram, vettori, franklin bond and martin. martin is interchangeable with mills :)

Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 19 2006, 09:58 AM
i wouldnt mind seing a morning of cricket (in the evening) tonight, new zealand dont deserve to win with the position they haev put themselves in. Looking at some of the replays (again) they shouldnt have been playing the shots that they were. they were trying to hit some balls that wearnt there to be hit. bu tthats proably 2 much one day cricket for ya.

good to see marshall still in and i hope he ends up carrying his bat, though i dont think he should have played in this test.

next test i would like to see papps and how open, they are proper openers, then fleming, styris, astle, mccullum, oram, vettori, franklin bond and martin. martin is interchangeable with mills :)
I'm with you actually, wouldn't mind seeing us hang on for a draw with Marshall carrying his bat. Agree Papps should have been there, not sure about Styris, he's turning into McMillan fiddling around outside offf all the time, but his bowling is handy. I think only having 4 tests in the last year and a bit has effected him, trying to play shots when he doesn't need to. Would like to see Fulton in there somewhere too. Mills/Martin, doesn't really matter which does it?

SA batsmen have been more consistent this test, and Ntini has been on fire, they deserve to be in the position they are in. A draw would go down quite nicely.

yeah i was tossing up between styris and fulton as well, i just think that styris has proved himself, he will get there and i know he will become a great allrounder one day. Fulton will be an awesome player, we just need to figure out where to put him. i dont think he should open though its a tough decision really

Latest posts