• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs England

Arrr, feel a bit stupid now! How the match going? Dont have sky sports now as we are moving in a week.

Also can you get them live tickers? Like a text based commentry, wouldnt mind catching the end.

HT, NZ 23-13 Eng

England dominated the pack for the 1st 20 but couldn't cross, then NZ woke up and ran in 2 from Smith and Carter.

Ojo scored a 90m interception to bring England back on half time.

Make that 30 - 13. Nonu brushed off Hodgson like he wasn't there.

Well, whatever Andrew said at half-time didn't work. 37-13

The moron referee ruins game. Binned Englands best player for less than what McCaw does 5 mins earlier.
Talk about spoiling a spectacle.

sick of this ****. Shouldve stayed in bed.

***** :wall:

OJO!! :mellow:

The English were playing thier same hands in the ruck lying over the ball gameplay they do every game, didn't work for them this time though..first game I have seen with the old rules since the Super 14, talk about yawn-fest....the ELV's have ruined me for any other kind of rugby....

Such a frustrating match to watch as an England supporter. We showed in patches the potential we have, but were far too naieve to win the match. Not quite sure how we managed to get two players binned when the Kiwis got none. Wouldn't have made a difference to the result, but I'd have liked to see some consistency. Dan Carter also showed why he is still the best 10 in world rugby.

Positives:
- Tom Rees. Best game I've seen him have for England. Certainly wasn't daunted by the task of facing McCaw.
- Topsy Ojo. His tries were opportunistic, but he showed he has the pace and poaching abilities to survive at this level.
- Danny Care. Thought he did well when he came on.
- The lineout. Showed we have the ability to spoil opposition ball in this area.

Negatives:
- Charlie Hodgson. So disappointing. His non-existant tackle on Nonu was just the cherry on top of a pretty terrible cake.
- The front 3. Sheridan and Stevens were far quieter than I would have liked. Didn't even notice Mears was playing.
- Luke Narraway. Needs to prove himself more at Gloucester before being handed the 8 shirt in future.
- Mike Brown. Just doesn't look like an international fullback.

Team I'd like to see given a crack next week:

1. Sheridan
2. Hartley
3. Stevens
4. Borthwick
5. Kennedy
6. Worsley
7. Rees
8. Haskell
9. Care
10. Flood (I know he isn't out there at the moment, but think he should be called up)
11. Strettle
12. Barkley
13. Noon
14. Ojo
15. Tait

shut up BLR, it was a good game, very intense. Why does everything have to be a discussion about North vs South, ELVs etc?

All in all, I'm not too disappointed. We were beaten by what is still a very classy team. And we have a number of positives:

1) Flankers - we competed the breakdown brilliantly, good turnovers, Haskell & Rees are there for the future.

2) Lineout - looked better than NZ's.

3) Scrum Half - Wigglesworth I thought was excellent, Care, once he adapted to the pace, was promising too

4) In Ojo, we've unearthed yet another good winger, he took his 2 tries brilliantly

There were a few negatives:

1) I'm still yet to be impressed with Narraway

2) Charlie f***ing Hodgson. I thought he'd played his way out of England contention years ago. Has proved time and time again that he cannot tackle (missed everything today, not just talking about the Nonu one..), he doesn't run the backline well at all.

3) Brown, while looking useful, lacks the pace to be an effective international fullback

4) Defence was **** poor at times

--------------------------------------------

Basically, considering that's an inexperienced team playing in Eden Park, not such a bad result. Hats off to Carter and Smith, who have to be the first players in anyone's world backline... and Nonu played well too.

EDIT

I just realised me and webby said teh same thing at the same time....

shut up BLR, it was a good game, very intense. Why does everything have to be a discussion about North vs South, ELVs etc?[/b]
It doesn't, it's just my opinion...

Sheri who??? best prop where??? you cant drive foward with your chin in your chest and your back not
straight. welcome to yoda school of proping :D all the hype don't make a good prop.

England have a lot of players who can do the job, but who are run of the mill at the moment and lack some quality and experience at test level and i think this is a 'decent' result for a team who are clearly in transition.

It could have been much worse and a total annihilation, but as has been said we showed promise and potential but looked lacking on the experience to use it.

Certain players need to be tested like Hodgson, Narraway and Brown to see what exactly they can offer England ahead if the usuals. Hodgson is just not an international fly-half.. you can't have streaky players like him and wait for him to get hot, because it doesn't happen enough.

Obviously there are names missing from this tour and i think certain players like Cipriani will make this team better. Certain areas are very weak as we can see. We are plugging the gaps, but you can't do that forever. This tour will make or break some players test careers i suspect.

Credit to Ojo for his two tries. Not a bad debut against possibly the toughest team on reputation in world rugby.

Sheri who??? best prop where??? you cant drive foward with your chin in your chest and your back not
straight. welcome to yoda school of proping :D all the hype don't make a good prop. [/b]

Yeah, about that... How many times exactly did Sommerville get away with not binding?

Besides, all the hype has been coming from the SH, we've not said a thing about him, it's Stevens and Mears that get all the talk.

Besides, all the hype has been coming from the SH, we've not said a thing about him, it's Stevens and Mears that get all the talk.[/b]
If by SH you mean the UK then yes, Sheridan is really not even talked about down here despite the various English articles self pleasuring themselves over Sheridan that somehow get imported...

Fa'atau, England have been in a transition stage for 5 years...

<div class='quotemain'>
Besides, all the hype has been coming from the SH, we've not said a thing about him, it's Stevens and Mears that get all the talk.[/b]
If by SH you mean the UK then yes, Sheridan is really not even talked about down here despite the various English articles self pleasuring themselves over Sheridan that somehow get imported...[/b][/quote]

Sure, because you see all of our ocoverage on the other side of the world. Or do you actually think Stephen Jones and Paul Ackford are taken seriously here? Everybody here knows that Sheridan is a good player on the front foot, but doesn't like things not going his way.

Ojo has been rightly taking all the headlines in the buildup anyway.

Just got back home from the game.....

NZ made far too many handling errors....too many turnovers.....forwards were not winning those rucks at all. Though the ref should have been a bit clearer in the tackle situation. I suspect the AB's will not be happy at all despite the win. They really have quite a lot to work on.

The middle 40 minutes of the game by the All Blacks was sublime. First 20 the English gave a scare and I thought we are here for a real test match, but they fizzed out later. The last 20 minutes was totally bullshit from both teams.

I don't know why Sione Lauaki has been selected, he hasn't really impressed this year, he seems to casual and lackluster for international flanker. Plus he screwed the Chiefs over against the Force for lazy running. When there are two number 8s in the starting line up, then you don't need Lauaki in the reserves.

One aspect of the All Black rugby that has frustrated me for the last 2-3 years is the number of handling errors due to silly passes. This continued tonight. They just can't seem to sustain more than 5-6 phases which is just a let off for the opposition.

As for England, promising start, but I can only see them attacking with the forwards. The backs need some direction which Hodgson did not provide.

Maybe it's my imagination, but every single wussy litte faggotty ref from the North who has officiated over an ABs game has been absolute shite. From Barnes to White to this crapzilla I'm beginning to think the North breeds pedantic little wimps specially for international refereeing.
As for the game the English technique at the ruck was far better than the ABs, sure they cheated a bit, but their ability to drive under oppossition players should be a real lesson to the ABs.
Lineouts are always hard to gauge with NZ, it's difficult to say whether england's lineout was great or if NZs was having one of its dysfunctional nights.
NZ dominated the scrums right up until Boric came on. I'll be honest, I have watched this guy live and he has never looked like test material to me. Thorns value as a scrummager was very apparrent when he went off and England was able to gain parity.
Sheridan continues to disappoint me, I have only seen him at test level and he has never looked special to me. I laughed when I read his major claim to fame was demolishing the Wallabies scrum, geez talk about join the club.
Ojo's tries were pretty meaningless in gauging his ability at test level. SAF produces a million wings just like him or better and none of them has been good enough to hold down a regular test spot. I need to see his ability to run in more than just a straight line and his strength, ability to break tackles and step before he can be considered more than lucky.
On the other hand NZ showed how very lucky Ireland were it was wet and freezing when they played.
Crap play from the ABs in the last 20 minutes. Real champion sides would have kept it tight and totally dominated and destroyed England till the final whistle. Instead they all decided to improve their individual stats and pretty much stopped playing as a team.
Hopefully this win and Aussies average performance will shut the majority of NZers up about what a loss Deans was. :)

Maybe it's my imagination, but every single wussy litte faggotty ref from the North who has officiated over an ABs game has been absolute shite. From Barnes to White to this crapzilla I'm beginning to think the North breeds pedantic little wimps specially for international refereeing.
As for the game the English technique at the ruck was far better than the ABs, sure they cheated a bit, but their ability to drive under oppossition players should be a real lesson to the ABs.
Lineouts are always hard to gauge with NZ, it's difficult to say whether england's lineout was great or if NZs was having one of its dysfunctional nights.
NZ dominated the scrums right up until Boric came on. I'll be honest, I have watched this guy live and he has never looked like test material to me. Thorns value as a scrummager was very apparrent when he went off and England was able to gain parity.
Sheridan continues to disappoint me, I have only seen him at test level and he has never looked special to me. I laughed when I read his major claim to fame was demolishing the Wallabies scrum, geez talk about join the club.
Ojo's tries were pretty meaningless in gauging his ability at test level. SAF produces a million wings just like him or better and none of them has been good enough to hold down a regular test spot. I need to see his ability to run in more than just a straight line and his strength, ability to break tackles and step before he can be considered more than lucky.
On the other hand NZ showed how very lucky Ireland were it was wet and freezing when they played.
Crap play from the ABs in the last 20 minutes. Real champion sides would have kept it tight and totally dominated and destroyed England till the final whistle. Instead they all decided to improve their individual stats and pretty much stopped playing as a team.
Hopefully this win and Aussies average performance will shut the majority of NZers up about what a loss Deans was. :)
[/b]

truesay about ojo; he got lucky with the bounce for his second. But he had two oppurtunities to show off his pace and came out on top both times. Don't forget we've got Sackey injured, plus Varndell. And watch the junior world cup, there's 3 seriously quick guys there too. Embarrassment of riches for the 14 shirt really...

truesay about ojo; he got lucky with the bounce for his second. But he had two oppurtunities to show off his pace and came out on top both times. Don't forget we've got Sackey injured, plus Varndell. And watch the junior world cup, there's 3 seriously quick guys there too. Embarrassment of riches for the 14 shirt really...
[/b]
The only time I have seen Ojo besides the game tonight was London Irish v Toulouse in the Heineken cup this year....I like the way he does things, I think he will be a good asset for the English, compared to Sackey, although I haven't seen anything of value from Sackey to judge it against...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The only time I have seen Ojo besides the game tonight was London Irish v Toulouse in the Heineken cup this year....I like the way he does things, I think he will be a good asset for the English, compared to Sackey, although I haven't seen anything of value from Sackey to judge it against... [/b][/quote]
Sackey's become a very clever defender over the last 6 months. Good player.

Ojo did what it says on the tin - go faster than everyone else.

England have a really fine collection of wingers. Now they just need some centres.

Good game to watch for the neutral. The All Blacks were brilliant in a 20 minute spell but made alot of bad errors, not scoring for the final 35 minutes will frustrate New Zealanders im sure. England started really well and although they were pasted in the scrum the breakdown was very even, if anything England edged it. Couple of tries for Ojo who did superbly for his first try especially otherwise it would have been 30-6 at half time and game over. Reece got the better of McCaw in a superb performance, Carter back to his best.

Next week i fansy we will have an even better game.

England have a really fine collection of wingers. Now they just need some centres.
[/b]

That is the overiding weakness in our backline at the moment.We've been struggling for an absolutely top quality centre since Greenwood's retirement. Of course it doesn't help than when guys have been on form they've been overlooked. Hipkiss, Clarke and Sinbad are just some of the players to have had excellent seasons wearing the 13 jersey at club level in the past, only to have been ignored by international selectors. 12 isn't such a worry for me. Flood, Barkley, Geraghty, Allen, Waldouck - we have plenty of creative footballers who, if they aren't quite ready yet, will soon be able to step up to the international stage.

Personally I'd like to see JSD given a run in the centre when the autumn internationals role around.

Latest posts