• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Season: Your Team

Yep it's a dead cert move. Sorry haven't got a link for you right now.
I don't get it myself really. He doesn't inspire me with confidence, and apart from the game v Stade like 3 years ago what has he ever done? Surely this will give Gareth Owen even less chance of game time as well. Weird move in my opinion.
Owen is not a Fly-Half. He his a fullback who can cover centre. Every time I've seen him at 10 he's had a shocker. I don't know how many times I've said that now.

I heard the reason Liam Davies was realised was because of his attitude. I also heard that Nutbrown is off with Parker to France, so that should mean Isaacs will get in the side. I use to really rate him, but having missed a whole season, I can't remeber him now. (He's hardly Gav, is he?)

Owen is not a Fly-Half. He his a fullback who can cover centre. Every time I've seen him at 10 he's had a shocker. I don't know how many times I've said that now.

I heard the reason Liam Davies was realised was because of his attitude. I also heard that Nutbrown is off with Parker to France, so that should mean Isaacs will get in the side. I use to really rate him, but having missed a whole season, I can't remeber him now. (He's hardly Gav, is he?)

That's quite odd seeing as before he moved to the Ospreys the only position he had played was at fly-half.

I still maintain Owen is a centre that can cover fullback! I'm also not going to debate Henson untill it's certain he's returning.

Ulster

Ins: Johannes Muller (SA, Lock, from Sharks), Tim Barker (Ire, Lock, from Glasgow), Pedrie Wanneburg (SA, Back Row, from Bulls), Ruan Pienaar (SA, SH, from Sharks)

Outs: Justin Fitzpatrick (Ire, retired), Ed O'Donoghue (Ire, Lock, to Leinster), Matt McCullough (Ire, released, probably retiring due to injury), Tamaiti Horua (NZ, retired due to injury), Isaac Boss (Ire, SH, to Leinster), Timoci Nagusa (Fij, Wing, to Montpellier)

Promoted from Academy: Adam Macklin (Ire, Prop), Paddy McAllister (Ire, Prop), Ian Porter (Ire, SH), Nevin Spence (Ire, Wing), Jamie Smith (Ire, FB)

Think that covers it. Looking for one more outside back, IQ. Rumours abound about Gavin Duffy. If not him I'm guessing a Munster or Leinster youngster. There also rumours that we might be interested in signing Butler and/or O'Callaghan from Munster's academy and that Cillian Willis might go to Connacht.

This gives us:

FB: Jamie Smith, Bryn Cunningham
Wing: Andrew Trimble, Simon Danielli, Nevin Spence, Mark McCrea
OC: Darren Cave
IC: Paddy Wallace, Ian Whitten
FH: Ian Humphries, Niall O'Connor
SH: Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Cillian Willis, Ian Porter

8: Pedrie Wanneburg, Robbie Diack
Flanker: Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, David Pollock, TJ Anderson
Lock: Johannes Muller, Dan Tuohy, Ryan Caldwell, Tim Barker, Neil McComb
TH: BJ Botha, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin
Hooker: Rory Best, Andy Kyriacou, Nigel Brady
LH: Tom Court, Bryan Young, Paddy McAllister

Likely HC 23

1. Tom Court
2. Rory Best
3. BJ Botha
4. Johannes Muller
5. Dan Tuohy/Ryan Caldwell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Henry/Faloon/Pollock
8. Pedrie Wanneburg

9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Ian Humphries
11. Simon Danielli
12. Paddy Wallace
13. Darren Cave
14. Andrew Trimble
15. Bryn Cunningham/Jamie Smith

16. Andy Kyriacou
17. Bryan Young
18. Declan Fitzpatrick
19. Caldwell/Tuohy
20. Robbie Diack
21. Paul Marshall
22. Niall O'Connor/Ian Whitten
23. Nevin Spence

Powerful pack, with some good strength now. Providing it all clicks its really going to be a handful up front. In the backline, a lot rests on the halfbacks - Pienaar to take the pressure of Humphries and be the reliable goal kicker, Humphries not to go mad and not to be a turnstile. It'll score tries, although you can see why Duffy might be a good idea.

All in all good recruitment from David Humphries though.

That's quite odd seeing as before he moved to the Ospreys the only position he had played was at fly-half.
He's certainly a good player, but I just don't believe he can cope at 10 in a higher-presure evnvironment. Biggar can cope with the pressure of being at the heart of everything in front of thousands. It strikes me that owen has to take a more backwards role. I haven't seen him play at 10 for Swansea or his school or anything, but I'm just assuming. I don't want to see him at 10, anyway.

And on the previous post, shouldn't you have Rush as both an 'In' and 'Out'?

Ulster are going to sign one more Outside back, and he will have to be Irish Qualified as they have Botha, Muller, Wannenburg, Pienaar and Danielli already in the squad (Diack will become Irish Qualified so does not count).

It is a strong pack alright, If they could sign a better flyhalf and fullback they wouldn't be a bad bet for a ML and a decent placing in Europe, although given the group they are in they should be aiming for a Heineken Quarter minimum.

We can't, to the best of my understanding, sign better fly-halfs. For us to do that we'd have to sign a NIQ fly-half and the IRFU have a blanket ban on the provinces having first choice NIQ 10s. Or so I'm told.

iHumph is good enough when his brain is engaged - more than good enough, he's got one hell of a lot of talent. Everyone knows how erratic he is though. NOC slowly progresses... still isn't good enough. Fingers crossed that McKinney and Paddy Jackson develop, but I'm pinning the hopes there on kids and there's a long way for them yet.

At full-back, we're trying to line up a NIQ full-back for after the World Cup - but Gavin Duffy would bea great move for us at the moment. Still reckon we could get ML playoff place as it is, but reckon our small squad and the youngsters' inconsistency will count against us.

It's true, McKinney looks excellent and will develop hopefully. Ian Keatley is up for grabs after the RWC, and with all the Irish provinces likley to be interested he will will probably go to the highest bidder. Would be a good signing for Ulster.

I'd forgotten about Keatly. Seems to run fairly hot and cold based on the limited amount I saw of him this season, not sure I'd have him ahead of iHumph.

ulster could well get into the playoffs be great for them and look like they could get hc 1/4 finals aswell
i think mc kinney is probaly going to be better than noc next year and ih pienarr takes the goal kicks off ihumph should take some pressure off allowing him to do what he does best attacking play with wallaced and whitten looking dangerous as well could well see spence getting a fair few games at 13 as cave wont play every match the futures bright the futures white ... with a bit of red and black

Most Ulster fans I talk to reckon McKinney looks like he might be a better bet than NOC already and tbh its not because McKinney's amazing...

Niall O'Connor is poo, end of. For a kicking standoff, his stats are pretty poor. For all of Humphreys' faults he is Ulster's best option and with Pienaar at 9 could form a very creative halfback axis.

I can't see us letting one of our young lasds head up North this year to be hones, ditto with Munster. We'll be missing Kearney, Drico, D'arce, Sexton, Shaggy and Luke for huge chunks of the season so the likes of Dave Kearney and Andrew Conway will be needed down here. Duffy would be a decent stop gap measure for Ulster. While he is a bit of a journeyman, he's solid, experianced and can cover centre and fullback. Would do nicely for 2 seasons at Ulster.

It would be a shame for Connacht to lose Duffy though. With Muldoon out until October you'd imagine they'll need all hands on deck for the early part of the season and to lose a player like Duffy would be a major blow. It's all just speculation of coure.

well noc is well crap and james mckinney the quicker you progress the better
i think we won like 3 games out of the 11 games noc played

hopefully three irish teams in the playoffs

well noc is well crap and james mckinney the quicker you progress the better
i think we won like 3 games out of the 11 games noc played

hopefully three irish teams in the playoffs

Can't see that happening. Ulster are still a long way off the pace and Munster really don't have the depth to compete in the ML when shorn of their internaitonal stars. The likes of Cardiff, Ospreys and Edinburgh will be tough for anyone to dislodge. We'll be lucky to get two in.

Our depth isn't that bad.

Loosehead: Marcus Horan, Wian Du Preez, Dave Ryan, Darragh Hurley (If he can get fit he is an excellent option)
Hooker: Flannery, Varley, Fogarty
Tighthead: Buckley, Hayes, Borlase, Archer
Lock: O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ryan, O'Driscoll, Nagle, Foley
Flanker: Quinlan, Wallace, O'Mahony, O'Donnell, Holland
Number 8: Leamy, Coughlan, (Possibly Paddy Butler, who knows)
Scrumhalf: O'Leary, Stringer, Williams
Flyhalf: O'Gara, [Warwick], Cusack
Centre: Mafi, Tuitupou, Earls, Barry Murphy, Gleeson, [Deasy]
Wing: Howlett, Murphy, Hurley, Dowling, Barnes
Fullback: Warwick, Jones, Deasy

Presuming the players in bold are away with Kidney, then we could feel a Magners League team of:

1. Du Preez
2. Varley
3. Borlase
4. Nagle/Foley
5. O'Driscoll
6. Quinlan
7. O'Mahony
8. Coughlan
9. Williams
10. Warwick
11. Murphy
12. Mafi
13. Tuitupou
14. Howlett
15. Jones

16. Fogarty
17. Dave Ryan
18. Holland
19. O'Donnell
20. Stringer
21. Deasy
22. Hurley

Maybe a bit week in the second row, but it will require young players to stand up which is exactly what we need.

Compared with Leinster:

1. Heinke VDW
2. Fogarty
3. Wright
4. O'Donoghue
5. Toner
6. Hines
7. Ruddock
8. Keogh
9. O'Donohoe
10. Berne
11. Conway
12. McFadden
13. O'Malley
14. Horgan
15. Nacewa

16. Strauss
17. Ross
18. Hogan
19. Ryan
20. ???
21. Macken
22. Dave Kearney

Or Ulster:

1. Young
2. Kyriacou
3. Botha
4. Tuohy
5. Muller
6. Wannenburg
7. Henry
8. Diack
9. Pienaar
10. Humphreys
11. Spence
12. Whitten
13. Cave
14. Danielli
15. Smith

16. Brady
17. Fitzpatrick
18. Caldwell
19. Pollock
20. Wilis
21. McKinney
22. McCrea

Ulster look the strongest without Internationals, Leinster look weakest, but maybe I am biased. Leinster probably could use a NIQ Backrow, Hines is not a great option at 6 and if a backrower gets injured they will have to look to the academy.

To be honest I doubt that all four of O'Brien, Jennings, Heaslip and McLaughlin will be called up. I can't see the entire 30 man panel being protected all year round so I'd expect McLaughlin and Jeenings to be available for most of the year, with Leamy and Ferris being in the international setup. I've already posted the team I expect to field in the ML in the Leinster squad thread so if you want to look it's over there. Oh, and you forgot Isaac Boss.

Munster look seriously week in their back 5. Their second row will be lacking while the backrow doesn't pose the threat you'd expect to see with a Munster squad. I'm not convinced of their propping or centre options much either to be honest.

The Ospryes will be one of the worst hit along with the Blues for the Welsh region. Ill see what the Blues might look like next season a little later when I find all the comings and goings from the Blues.

We're looking at a 42 man squad for next season:

Jenkins / Hobbs / Davies
Thomas / Williams / Williams
Filise / Yapp / Powell / Andrews
Davies / Griffiths
***o / Jones / Down
Paterson / Molitika / Pretorius
Williams / Warburton / Navidi
Rush / Powell / Brown
Rees / Cooper / Williams / Downes
Parks / Sweeney
James / Czekaj / Loxton
Roberts / Hewitt / Evans
Laulala / Shanklin
Halfpenny / Mustoe
Blair / Fish

B - New Signings
I - Promoted academy players

Last edited:
Niall O'Connor is poo, end of.

That would be the one!

In fairness, he possesses confidence issues that seem to be receding. He actually made some of his kicks this year and seems to have turned a corner. He's still not really good enough but if he can improve his kicking a little bit more he wouldn't be a bad 2nd/3rd choice.

I can't see us letting one of our young lasds head up North this year to be hones, ditto with Munster. We'll be missing Kearney, Drico, D'arce, Sexton, Shaggy and Luke for huge chunks of the season so the likes of Dave Kearney and Andrew Conway will be needed down here. Duffy would be a decent stop gap measure for Ulster. While he is a bit of a journeyman, he's solid, experianced and can cover centre and fullback. Would do nicely for 2 seasons at Ulster.

It would be a shame for Connacht to lose Duffy though. With Muldoon out until October you'd imagine they'll need all hands on deck for the early part of the season and to lose a player like Duffy would be a major blow. It's all just speculation of coure.

I make you right enough about that - but Munster released a few if I remember right. And it would be a real kick in the teeth for Connacht, but needs must.

MunsterMan, what about Eoghan Grace? I've heard a lot of people talk him up.

Most of our internationals are very well covered now Wanneberg has come but it won't take many injuries on top of international camps/rest periods for our squad to look thin and there's a bit of an inexperienced look to it, our Saffa Legion excluded.

Eoghan Grace, I do like him as a player, he tears it up in the AIL and I would love to see him get a chance, he is behind Peter O'Mahony in the young back rower with huge potential category though. O'Mahony is on a full development contract where as Grace is only an academy player, even though O'Mahony is two years younger. I think that is an indication of where the managment see them.

I did not forget about Isaac Boss, he will be in the Irish squad. If the team was picked on form this year he would probably have been first choice. Playing for Leinster will definitely increase his chances.

Leamy may never be the player he was. He has had just about all his shoulders and knees surgically repaired. If he gets back to his pre injury form great, Ferris had better watch out but I won't hold my breath. I can see our top 5 backrow players being Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip, O'Brien and McLaughlin quite easily. Jennings however will probably not be included, my mistake.

Latest posts