• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Season: Your Team

**Off Topic**

This isn't specifically aimed at you Draggs, but your post has reminded me of something that has been bugging me lately: Why do so many people spell the word lose with two o's? It's clearly a different word.

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks for the welcome,
Loose and lose... I know the difference, honestly- just an error with typing. ;)

It will be interesting to see who will gain the 10 jersey, with Matthew Jones joining.

O's wouldn't want to get loose Prydie. We could use another winger after Fussell left. IMHO the Dragons need a good centre pairing. Ashley Smith has played well lately, but we need another young one. I don't see Watkins staying around too much longer either. I wouldn't imagine the Scarlets releasing Stoddart right now, but with Martyn Thomas injured, a loan could work.
I think Shanklin going to the Dragons could be a good thing- They need a 13, he needs regular Rugby, as there's no way he's going to shift Laulala at the Blues. He's still as good as he ever was, although he has lost a considerable amount of pace, but if he could run up and down the stairs a hell of a lot and get it back, we could see a far more complete-looknig Dragons backline. He's not young, but he'll be the only experienced head in a backline who's otherwise oldest player is Wayne Evans, at 23.

That would be a good move for Shanklin and the Dragons, but I doubt the Blues would allow it to happen. Strength in depth is what's important for them if they have ambitions of winning the HC, and I'm honestly struggling to think of any other genuine backup centres at the Blues. Gavin Evans isn't all that great, neither is Hewitt really, so Shanklin is important backup for them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gareth Owen going on loan for a season though. Would give him a chance to play regular rugby at centre (although cover at fullback would be a probability untill Martyn Thomas is back), and would give the Dragons the use of a quality player for a while. Again though, not gonna happen when he's an important bench warmer for the O's as cover for 10, 12, 13 and 15.

I could see Prydie going to the Dragons on loan. Even though he's doing well for Wales, is he really going to replace Tommy, Shane or Walker on the wings or Byrne at fullback? And with the previously mentioned versatility of Gareth Owen probably proving more useful on the bench, he still won't get any gametime, which is a shame. The Ospreys should see Prydie playing regular rugby as a good thing if he went to the Dragons on loan. Dragons would see him as genuine cover for martin Thomas without having to shift Tovey back to fullback after proving such a revelation at 10. Win, win I say, most of all for young Tom Prydie who would bound to show his class considering he's already showed some against the Boks!

Prydie to Dragons on a loan would be a win win situation for everyone. The Dragons get a quality keen young player. The Ospreys will be satisfied that one of their players is developing ready for the future and Tom gets the most important thing for a young improving player, gametime.

Was having a think about next year's Connacht backline today(don't ask why). They're actually shaping up to be quite an exciting group of young players, albeit very inexperianced:

9) Frank Murphy
10) Ian Keatley
11) Tiernan O'Hallorann
12) Kyle Tonetti
13) Keith Matthews
14) Fionn Carr
15) Gavin Duffy

It's getting slightly less journeyman-filled every year. That's only if Tonetti decides not to go across to Sale of course. You know, $$$.

Tonetti would be a good signing alright. Ta'auso still there? Put him in for exprience. Might start Troy Nathan for the first half of the season bringing O'Halloran in gradually. Eoin Griffin played pretty well when he played in the ML even though Connacht were hammered, another option at 13.

Have they made any other signings. George Naoupu NEEDS to be replaced, was a huge player for them. A lock would be no harm either. Wilkinson-Cronin-Hagan solid front row.

Em Shane Monahan and Darragh Fanning are also moving west from Leinster. Fanning is a fullback and Monaghan is a wing/centre. They're both 23 as far as I know. Neither are amazing, but Monahan is probably the better player. He's kind of a Shane Horgan type I guess, he's some ridiculous weight like 16 stone.

They do need to strenghtne their backrow and bring in a few more locks for sure. The likes of Trevor Hogan and Paddy Butler would do them a world of good.

Last edited:
Interesting, Carr was nearly that age when he signed sure :)

Plenty of talent knocking abou who can do a job for Connacht i reckon. Billy Holland would be a good signing for Connacht. Play in the backrow or the second row, wherver needed. Hogan will be needed by Leinster I'd say.

Roberts and Laulala is a fantastic partnership, and will see of Shanklin in the centre. The Blues also have some depth on the wings with Halfpenny, Czejak, and James. Shanklin going to the Dragons could work well for Newport, but I see it as unlikely.

Tovey needs to play at 10, but with Martyn Thomas' injury and Matthew Jones joining, it is unpredictable.

Fussell moving to the Ospreys seems like a bit of a bad choice on his part. There is no chance in the Ospreys keeping Shane of Bowe off the field, and Nikki Walker is still a serious contender for wing. Even if Fussell can shift Nikki from the bench, a starting spot is seems unlikely. Kristian Phillips can't be forgotten either; another contender for the wing.

If Henson returns in-form and is able to start for the Ospreys, it will raise the question of what to do with Hook. Bishop has played well lately and a Bishop/Henson partnership is not unlikely. Hook is able to play at 10, but would the Ospreys want to move Dan Biggar? With Dai Flanagan coming in from Cardiff, another possible 10 is added.

Flanagan is off to the 'Sprays?! :( damnit i hope thats not true, I'm a big fan of him, I remember the fantastic job he did at 10 when both Nicky Robinson and Nick McLoud were injured. He played a huge part in steering them to victory against Stade Francais and to their first Heineken Quarter Final. Pity Dai Young hasn't given him more game time - then again he;s unlikely to get any with Dan Parks coming to the Blues.

I really can't see Henson budging hook now. Hook is such a class player with so much skill and flare.

Flanagan is off to the 'Sprays?! :( damnit i hope thats not true, I'm a big fan of him, I remember the fantastic job he did at 10 when both Nicky Robinson and Nick McLoud were injured. He played a huge part in steering them to victory against Stade Francais and to their first Heineken Quarter Final. Pity Dai Young hasn't given him more game time - then again he;s unlikely to get any with Dan Parks coming to the Blues.
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/3711.php

FACT: My Dad was bullied at school by Dai's brother. If you're wondering, Mike Flanagan is currently in his late 40s. Dai is 24, and he has a younger brother of 17 who has just signed for one of the Principaty clubs, but I've forgotten which one.

Hook is either all in the game and dominating or has no idea what to do with the ball. (Same goes for Henson, though)
It depends on Henson's fitness and dedication, regarding Hook's placement with the O's and Wales.

If Lee Byrne continues to play as unpredictably as he does now, Henson to fullback could be possible.
Gavin seems to be a better fullback than Hook, but it could be a waste of such a creative player all the way back there.

On a national level, I'd like to see a proper Henson/Roberts partnership- it could certainly be lethal.

Regarding the Dragons: Any more news on Scott Morgan or RST going to Newport? I haven't heard anything new with the Robin/Sale rumour.

PLAYERS OUT SO FAR AT GLASGOW

Tim Barker to Ulster
Kelly Brown to Saracens
Mark McMillan to Bath
Dan Parks to Cardiff Blues
Dan Turner to Japan

PLAYERS IN SO FAR AT GLASGOW

Ryan Grant from Edinburgh
Aly Muldowney from Moseley

No idea as yet of any players being offered pro contracts from within the club scene, rumours of Frazer Climo who plays for Ayr being offered a deal excellent Fly Half who rearley misses kicks at goal he has been watched ah few time by Lineen and also Gregor Townsend, the loss of Parks is a huge blow as is the loss of Kelly Brown cheapskates at Glasgow only offered Parks 60K a year to re-sign where as Cardiff offered 120K. Definatly need to make more signings to improve on last year and maybe make an inpact in the Heiniken cup if nobody else comes in I can see Glasgow struggle majorly next season.

Was hoping that Glasgow and Edinburgh could push further this year, but it seems unlikely
60k a year! its no wonder there is little interest in professional rugby in Scotland

I see Gavin Henson moving to 15 or he will be shipped off on loan to another Welsh region. Ospreys would be silly to get rid of Hook. The only region that probably could afford him would be the Blues.

Roberts and Laulala is a fantastic partnership, and will see of Shanklin in the centre. The Blues also have some depth on the wings with Halfpenny, Czejak, and James. Shanklin going to the Dragons could work well for Newport, but I see it as unlikely.

Tovey needs to play at 10, but with Martyn Thomas' injury and Matthew Jones joining, it is unpredictable.

Fussell moving to the Ospreys seems like a bit of a bad choice on his part. There is no chance in the Ospreys keeping Shane of Bowe off the field, and Nikki Walker is still a serious contender for wing. Even if Fussell can shift Nikki from the bench, a starting spot is seems unlikely. Kristian Phillips can't be forgotten either; another contender for the wing.

If Henson returns in-form and is able to start for the Ospreys, it will raise the question of what to do with Hook. Bishop has played well lately and a Bishop/Henson partnership is not unlikely. Hook is able to play at 10, but would the Ospreys want to move Dan Biggar? With Dai Flanagan coming in from Cardiff, another possible 10 is added.

Shanklin won't be going anywhere becuase he is the obvious replacement for Jamie Roberts during international periods. Shanklin is past international level now anyway. In terms of wingers, Richard Mustoe is there for the Blues as well. He was absolutely fantastic before his injury and I'd drop Czekai instantly for him.

Fussel will only get game time during international periods, as those three wingers mentioned will all be playing for their respective squads. Fussel's international career is severely jeopardised by this move. Out of interest, how old is he?

Don't get me started on Henson, he is nowhere to be seen yet and Bishop and Hook are a good combo. I think you'd see Bishop dropped before Hook in the centre. I have no doubt a Henson-Hook combo would be pretty epic, but until Henson is fit I think we should leave this Henson matter alone.

Hook isn't going right now. The Blues were after him in the winter, but went with Dan Parks when it failed.
As far as Henson goes, we can't assume he will come back fit for staring, so Hook/Bishop works in the centres for now.
In the centres, we need one creative one (Hook/Henson) and one to simply bash away the opposition (Bishop/Roberts).

Fussell is 26; I would imagine Gatland would rather develop younger wingers such as Prydie, James, and Harries, rather than put one slightly older in. Then again, I cannot explain anything that man does, so who knows?

Dull, It's contentious but I might go for Hook at 10 with Henson and Bishwap in the centres. I love Bishop and he has to be in the team, or atleast the 23!! :p If he's managed and developed properly I can see him being our Aaron Mauger for the next c.8 years.
Also Liam Davies was one of the 4 geezers released the other day (One other being Jonny Vaughton - YEEESSS!!!) So they'll probably stick with Nutbum, or give Tom Isaacs some more time after he returns from his injury.

Yep it's a dead cert move. Sorry haven't got a link for you right now.
I don't get it myself really. He doesn't inspire me with confidence, and apart from the game v Stade like 3 years ago what has he ever done? Surely this will give Gareth Owen even less chance of game time as well. Weird move in my opinion.

Latest posts