• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

Hoyer is terrible. Really terrible. Do not expect an upgrade. The only reason he looked serviceable last season was due to Shanahan's play action offense giving him a lot of open WRs. but he still wasn't nearly accurate. Once their running game stopped producing and Alex Mack went down injured he started to look very suspect. Unless Arian Foster can have an absolutely huge year I don't think he's good enough to make the Texans do anything serious this year. Which is a shame, because they're a very talented team outside of QB, but there's a reason that the quarterback usually gets the MVP.

Awesome post - very insightful.
I'll admit that while I am getting better, i'm no where near as knowledgeable about the game as you obviously are.
I've only been following the sport closely for 2-3 seasons, and self teaching myself all the nuances and key phrases etc.

I've still got my fingers crossed that O'Brien can get something out of Hoyer (and if not him, then Mallett)

I'm still gutted we didn't trade up from the 33rd pick to 32nd for Teddy Bridgewater!

Awesome post - very insightful.
I'll admit that while I am getting better, i'm no where near as knowledgeable about the game as you obviously are.
I've only been following the sport closely for 2-3 seasons, and self teaching myself all the nuances and key phrases etc.

I've still got my fingers crossed that O'Brien can get something out of Hoyer (and if not him, then Mallett)

I'm still gutted we didn't trade up from the 33rd pick to 32nd for Teddy Bridgewater!

Haha, yeah I found that FF is the best way to get into it. I'm in a reasonably serious league so I read a lot about the NFL in my downtime at work now.

Bridgewater is probably my favourite of the last QB class. The Vikings are a serious wildcard with him under centre and Peterson coming back. NFC north is going to be really competitive.

Carr looks okay, but I feel like people are overhyping based on the utter lack of talent the Raiders have had there in recent times. We'll see how he does now that he has some legit targets in Cooper and Crabtree.

Haha, yeah I found that FF is the best way to get into it. I'm in a reasonably serious league so I read a lot about the NFL in my downtime at work now.

Bridgewater is probably my favourite of the last QB class. The Vikings are a serious wildcard with him under centre and Peterson coming back. NFC north is going to be really competitive.

Carr looks okay, but I feel like people are overhyping based on the utter lack of talent the Raiders have had there in recent times. We'll see how he does now that he has some legit targets in Cooper and Crabtree.

Talk of the Raiders being anything more than a possible Wildcard, even being that Wildcard, is massively overreacting. Theyre putting some peices together there and the next few years could see them grow into a postseason team.

Agree on Bridgewater, he benefited from being the most NFL ready QB from that draft. He ran a pro-style system at Louisville and is looking good for it. Interesting to see how AP goes after whats gone on

Waiting on an invite back into an old league, so I can copy the scoring settings. I WILL be setting the fantasy league up, so don't panic.

Oh, and GO PHINS!
tbd.jpg

Last edited:
Hayne is impressing in his goal line carries now.

On top of his returning and receiving game he might have a chance at making a nfl roster.

Going to Use the nfl gamepass 7 days free trial for the first 59ers pre season game then I might look at the £99.99 (or £29.99 for 3 months).

Will most likely just end up streaming it anyway ;)

The curse of Ryan Fitzpatrick lives on.

This is the most Jets thing ever.

2 weeks ago their fans thought they'd won the AFC East after Brady. I guess now they can celebrate the #1 pick next draft.

2 weeks ago their fans thought they'd won the AFC East after Brady. I guess now they can celebrate the #1 pick next draft.

I don't think Fitzpatrick is much of a downgrade on Geno. Seeing as they're all about defence they'll still be strong. 8+ wins is definitely attainable even with this setback.

So when's our draft boys?

Preseason underway and there's a few teams with very interesting projects. I think the Jets are under pressure to do something this year though. I'm liking the Giants and expect them to bring Cowboys down few notches. It'll be interesting to see how Eli's stats are this year

Would be interested to here @FlukeArtist views on Foster going down the other day. Looks like he's going to miss most, if not all of the season. This puts Mallet in first place for the Texans QB role, as Hoyer cannot function without a strong RB. In any case, it makes their season look bleak, as Alfred Blue is a very poor replacement (there was a good article on Grantland about him the other day.)

Watched the Packers - Patriots game the other day. Tolzien was the better of the backup quarterbacks and Janis looked pretty lively at wide receiver. Packers offensive depth is sublime. Patriots have to be worried about Garopplo, he simply doesn't look ready to run an offense as advanced as Belichick's.

- - - Updated - - -

So when's our draft boys?

Preseason underway and there's a few teams with very interesting projects. I think the Jets are under pressure to do something this year though. I'm liking the Giants and expect them to bring Cowboys down few notches. It'll be interesting to see how Eli's stats are this year

How can you mention NFC east without mentioning Chip's wild ride? They've been like 10 wins the last two years and I'd expect them to be at least as strong with more of his guys on board.

Eli's playing for a contract, so he should do well. And it's their year to ruin the Patriots in the SB, as is the four year tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Feicarsinn, yeah certainly not good for my Texans.
They had that free agent running back from the Saints (? Thomas) down to meet but they couldn't agree on terms.
They won't select Ray Rice on principle (like most teams) so I think they've decided to work with Polk, Blue ..and the other guy.
Foster simply can't be replaced though unfortunately. Blue only averages 3 per carry... meagre returns.
On the plus side Hopkins and the wide receiver core are looking good (watch Hard Knocks). We'll see re the QBs. O'brien seems keen on both QBs.

Hey Feicarsinn, yeah certainly not good for my Texans.
They had that free agent running back from the Saints (? Thomas) down to meet but they couldn't agree on terms.
They won't select Ray Rice on principle (like most teams) so I think they've decided to work with Polk, Blue ..and the other guy.
Foster simply can't be replaced though unfortunately. Blue only averages 3 per carry... meagre returns.
On the plus side Hopkins and the wide receiver core are looking good (watch Hard Knocks). We'll see re the QBs. O'brien seems keen on both QBs.

Texans are great on Hard Knocks, Bill O'Brien seems like a cool guy. Apparently Chris Johnson is off to the Cardinals, I'm surprised the Texans didn't make more of an effort to land him. Yeah, his best years are past him, but I think he still has something to offer, at least as a change of pace back.

O'brien is the star so far IMO. Love his swearing... classic.
JJ Watt continues to amaze me with his work ethic.
He is the best in the team and yet he is still last out one off the field at the end of the day.
If only the rest of the team worked as hard as Watt does... We'd be unbeatable.

O'brien is the star so far IMO. Love his swearing... classic.
JJ Watt continues to amaze me with his work ethic.
He is the best in the team and yet he is still last out one off the field at the end of the day.
If only the rest of the team worked as hard as Watt does... We'd be unbeatable.

Well I'd probably take Aaron Rodgers over an incredibly hard working Hoyer, but I get your point. ;) Watt is something else, there isn't a defensive end in his class and few players on the defensive side of the ball either. Von Miller maybe.

Mallet has started pretty well. Not sure about that sneak call though.

Latest posts