• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No Fans v Bottlers - Final of that tournament that is no fun without the Irish

Great final. Clermont have nothing to be ashamed of. Game was poised at 17-18 until 70th minute.

That 100m try they scored is the try of the season for me.

Clermont are primed for a right go at the Bouclier.

Attendance was a shade over 57,000 if I heard correctly.

Not bad for a final between 2 teams who's fans don't really travel. Also, they charged the same for today's game as they would for a Scotland game. I know that because I paid £35 to sit in the nosebleeds.
How does ERPC get it so wrong? It should have been a full house all day.

No wonder the CCup is not a patch on the old Heineken. I know Clermont fans who didn't make the trip as they were saving to go the T14 semi and final.

Hate to say it but NZ Super Rugby teams apart this Saracens team are a long way ahead of anyone.

Maybe they are. But does it matter? we don't play the SR teams. SR is pretty one sided compared with the 2 Euro Cups.

How does ERPC get it so wrong? It should have been a full house all day.

No wonder the CCup is not a patch on the old Heineken. I know Clermont fans who didn't make the trip as they were saving to go the T14 semi and final.
If they cut each ticket by £10 and had it kick-off at 3 It would've helped IMO. Even with around 10 minutes to go the a Tram stop was already starting to get really busy mist probably with people needing to get to Waverley and the Airport

They also said though that 80% of tickets were sold before semi finals
Really? Haha, lying little shithouses.

If they cut each ticket by £10 and had it kick-off at 3 It would've helped IMO. Even with around 10 minutes to go the a Tram stop was already starting to get really busy mist probably with people needing to get to Waverley and the Airport

Really? Haha, lying little shithouses.
Yea 80% now they still sold them but pricing structure changed with timeframe didn't it

No but Sarries at full strength are waltzing through the last 2 years
Waltzing is a stretch to be honest, if Munster had decent backs they cluld have won a few weeks ago, had Lopez stuck his handy DG and that penalty there was a win in that game for Clermont, Leinster would push them given the chance too.

Sarries are obviously the best side in Europe but I'd argue Clermont and Leinster are more than capable of getting a win against them in the knockout stages, Wasps and Munster could get there with a bit of work and I'd predict Montpellier to be around next season too. The difference between Sarries and the rest right now is that they don't lose games or put themselves out of contention through their own inaccuracies like Clermont did yesterday, Munster and Wasps did in Dublin and Leinster did in Lyon, it comes and goes as shown by the number of back to back winners the tournament has had since 2011. Winning in Europe requires a test level side in my opinion, its hard to get more than one club at that level and harder for a club to sustain that past 2-3 years.

Waltzing is a stretch to be honest, if Munster had decent backs they cluld have won a few weeks ago, had Lopez stuck his handy DG and that penalty there was a win in that game for Clermont, Leinster would push them given the chance too.

Sarries are obviously the best side in Europe but I'd argue Clermont and Leinster are more than capable of getting a win against them in the knockout stages, Wasps and Munster could get there with a bit of work and I'd predict Montpellier to be around next season too. The difference between Sarries and the rest right now is that they don't lose games or put themselves out of contention through their own inaccuracies like Clermont did yesterday, Munster and Wasps did in Dublin and Leinster did in Lyon, it comes and goes as shown by the number of back to back winners the tournament has had since 2011. Winning in Europe requires a test level side in my opinion, its hard to get more than one club at that level and harder for a club to sustain that past 2-3 years.

Agreed with all above. I'd add Ulster to the Irish contingent. They have signed Jono Gibbes for next season. Wasps should be there as well.
I agree about test level side. The intensity this season in semis and final has gone up a notch. We're getting closer to 6N rugby in terms of skills intensity etc.

Clermont has been getting better every season in Europe. They will win it eventually if they are patient and with the players they have. Some players like Lopez have grown in stature. And they have great youngsters coming thru now (Penaud, Iturria). They could have won the final. Score was 17-18 until 70th. Same for Leinster in their semi. The way they came back in 2nd half. They could have edged it. Think teams like Clermont Leinster have the creative backs to trouble Saracens. Munster will be there as well.

Alot of ifs but fact is. Munster were over awed and were beaten. Clermont beat Leinster and admittedly it was a tight game but yesterday Sarries even when it was a 1 point game bever looked in doubt.
Yes the teams mentioned can close gap or catch them but at moment Sarries are ahead of pack. Like you mention about missing DG yesterday. And in a way its true but those misses have been frequent you'd have to ask is there a mental hurdle with Clermont. Like I agree Leinster and Munster may get there. But in a way I think you over hype Leinster slightly and until both us in Red and ye in Blue produce and deliver again we will only be part of the chasing pack and have no right YET to say we are definitely up there

Yes the teams mentioned can close gap or catch them but at moment Sarries are ahead of pack. Like you mention about missing DG yesterday. And in a way its true but those misses have been frequent you'd have to ask is there a mental hurdle with Clermont.

Lopez missed 2 kicks yesterday so did Farrell. So it wasn't the difference.

Clermont have got better mentally as well. In the past they would have crumbled after Sarries took the score and held on to their 12-0 lead. And Sarries would have taken them to the cleaners. Not this time. They held on. Came back into it within 1 pt. The difference was the last 10 minutes with Sarries scoring their try. Full credit to them. But Clermont didn't show the nerves they have showed in past.

Alot of ifs but fact is. Munster were over awed and were beaten. Clermont beat Leinster and admittedly it was a tight game but yesterday Sarries even when it was a 1 point game bever looked in doubt.
Yes the teams mentioned can close gap or catch them but at moment Sarries are ahead of pack. Like you mention about missing DG yesterday. And in a way its true but those misses have been frequent you'd have to ask is there a mental hurdle with Clermont. Like I agree Leinster and Munster may get there. But in a way I think you over hype Leinster slightly and until both us in Red and ye in Blue produce and deliver again we will only be part of the chasing pack and have no right YET to say we are definitely up there
Were Munster over awed? Their attack was as penetrative as a flaccid willy but they dominated possession and territory 1st half and crumbled having thrown all they got at an international class defence and got nothing. Clermont really were good enough to win yesterday, Sarries got a try off a knock on and Lopez missed two of the easiest three pointers afforded to either side.

As I said earlier Sarries are the best but its not by much, they finished third in the premiership behind sides who no one would accuse of setting the world alight and there are plenty of good sides chasing them in Europe. (this tournament's evidence would suggest its the two Lyon semi finalists leading the way) No one ever said Toulon or Leinster were close to unbeatable when they were doing the same things, dominance never lasts in this tournament.

Munster couldn't have won with the way Bleyendaal and Williams played. They were responsible for the big scoreline difference. Bleyendaal could be Munsters Brock James.

Were Munster over awed? Their attack was as penetrative as a flaccid willy but they dominated possession and territory 1st half and crumbled having thrown all they got at an international class defence and got nothing. Clermont really were good enough to win yesterday, Sarries got a try off a knock on and Lopez missed two of the easiest three pointers afforded to either side.

As I said earlier Sarries are the best but its not by much, they finished third in the premiership behind sides who no one would accuse of setting the world alight and there are plenty of good sides chasing them in Europe. (this tournament's evidence would suggest its the two Lyon semi finalists leading the way) No one ever said Toulon or Leinster were close to unbeatable when they were doing the same things, dominance never lasts in this tournament.
But you're missing point. A league table can lie. They rested lads through that and missed key players for chunk of season. That has benefitted them now come May. I just think on their day at the moment they are well ahead. I'm not saying it's not possible to close it but just at moment it exists but rugby can change fast

Latest posts