• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nonu and O'Driscoll the best 12/13 combo of pro age? Who is better of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to love this thread, it's just so informative. I'd mistakenly believed BO'D to be a legend of the game; turns out he was just Dennis Hurley.

probably would of been if he played rugby in New Zealand mate - legend in Ireland absolutely though

Oh please, not another dick swinging contest over whether BOD is better/not better than (insert player name here)

deadhorse.gif

Can we just acknowledge that BOD was probably Ireland's best ever centre, and probably one of the best in the world, leave it at that and move on.

Exactly that's what I'm saying, not fit to lace the boots of Robbie Fruean.
Nah mate, if he didn't play in NZ he's **** poor. Just look at Peter Borlase. **** poor player in New Zealand. Went to Ireland and is considered a national hero and all time great.
Source: Drank Guinness once.

Man Conrad Smith is getting severely underrated here.

The reason the AB's are so damn good is because of this unreal partnership in the midfield - Smith and Nonu is the greatest pairing ever, none of this BOD - Nonu garbage.

Twice world cup winners and mountains of other records, but apparently it's just because we have Dan Carter (even though he's been injured for years on end), the moronic statements in this thread are mind boggling and make me sick in this forum sometimes that I actually do end up looking like a troll because of my attitude to some of the users, but quite frankly you deserve it.

I understand you want a nod to your compatriot and an idol to feel good about, but the truth is BOD is extremely overrated by you lot.

I previously said that CS is one of the main reasons that Nonu looks as great as he is. Learn to read please

Nah mate, if he didn't play in NZ he's **** poor. Just look at Peter Borlase. **** poor player in New Zealand. Went to Ireland and is considered a national hero and all time great.
Brad Thorn, decidedly average player in NZ but tore trees up with Leinster. The NH is to the SH what Canadian Gridiron is to the NFL cuz.

Oh please, not another dick swinging contest over whether BOD is better/not better than (insert player name here)

deadhorse.gif

Can we just acknowledge that BOD was probably Ireland's best ever centre, and probably one of the best in the world, leave it at that and move on.

Easily Ireland's best centre. Probably Ireland's best rugby player.
So far is the best ever centre

- - - Updated - - -

Brad Thorn, decidedly average player in NZ but tore trees up with Leinster. The NH is to the SH what Canadian Gridiron is to the NFL cuz.

Lolwat? Yeah Thorn was good for us but he wasn't amazing. Don't know how you can say he tore trees up with Leinster

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope you are being sarcastic.... internet isn't great for sarcasm and all that.
Borlase was horrific when he came over

Before I start please let me first say that BOD is a legend and deserves praise for his contribution to the game.

However, Saying that BOD played with inferior team mates just further improves his quality does it not?. Light shines bright in a dark room.
Saying Nonu was helped by playing with Carter/Conrad would make it harder for him to stand out as they also shine and part of that spotlight is removed from Nonu himself.

There is no one way to compare the two fairly. Generally what I would use is when players play each other, who came out with the better individual stats?. If Nonu managed to break a BOD tackle, or if BOD managed to step Nonu?

This thread could go on for generations, I remember debating Umaga/BOD with people on here and it was endless.

Easily Ireland's best centre. Probably Ireland's best rugby player.
So far is the best ever centre

- - - Updated - - -

Lolwat? Yeah Thorn was good for us but he wasn't amazing. Don't know how you can say he tore trees up with Leinster

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope you are being sarcastic.... internet isn't great for sarcasm and all that.
Borlase was horrific when he came over
Sarcasm thy name is Groundhog. I was being ironic in the sense that Borlase was one of the most comically forgettable signings we've ever had in Munster. I'll never forget the night we beat the Wallabies and there was a bit of a scrap, and Borlase started shadow boxing backwards away from the fight much to the mirth of the Ozzy coaching staff who started impersonating him. About summed up his time in Ireland.

Nonu was so scared of Brian O'Driscoll in '05 he tried to assassinate him. O'Driscoll has had pure magic in so many ways, Nonu has always been good, and was more physical to start with than BOD, and has had to refine his game to add the other attributes. However, O'Driscoll when he first burst onto the scene, well the pace of that guy, and the intelligence of him, were something special that I don't think we'll ever see the like of again. Both are legends of the game however, and played different position effectively, with inside and outside centre very different roles. So it is hard to compare the two, but I loved watching the BOD God in full flow

Nonu was so scared of Brian O'Driscoll in '05 he tried to assassinate him. O'Driscoll has had pure magic in so many ways, Nonu has always been good, and was more physical to start with than BOD, and has had to refine his game to add the other attributes. However, O'Driscoll when he first burst onto the scene, well the pace of that guy, and the intelligence of him, were something special that I don't think we'll ever see the like of again. Both are legends of the game however, and played different position effectively, with inside and outside centre very different roles. So it is hard to compare the two, but I loved watching the BOD God in full flow

Bod is the greatest centre I have ever seen play the game. Nonu developed himself in later years to be a great player but BOD is like the Messi of Rugby and has a natural skill and talent above anyone else in this position.

Tonne of great midfielders around. Personally I think Umaga is the best midfielder I have ever seen. Over the last five years I'd probably slightly take Conrad Smith over Ma'a Nonu. Either way, between guys like BOD, Umaga, Horan, Mortlock, Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu - it's always going to come down to personal preference and bias, as there is no objective measure of how good a centre is - and anyone who claims that one player is 'obviously better' than any other, probably hasn't seen much of any other.

You are confusing Nonu and Umaga I think man. What is this? Do you think all South Sea Islanders look the same?

Tonne of great midfielders around. Personally I think Umaga is the best midfielder I have ever seen. Over the last five years I'd probably slightly take Conrad Smith over Ma'a Nonu. Either way, between guys like BOD, Umaga, Horan, Mortlock, Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu - it's always going to come down to personal preference and bias, as there is no objective measure of how good a centre is - and anyone who claims that one player is 'obviously better' than any other, probably hasn't seen much of any other.

Probably the most accurate statement on this discussion so far.

Sarcasm thy name is Groundhog. I was being ironic in the sense that Borlase was one of the most comically forgettable signings we've ever had in Munster. I'll never forget the night we beat the Wallabies and there was a bit of a scrap, and Borlase started shadow boxing backwards away from the fight much to the mirth of the Ozzy coaching staff who started impersonating him. About summed up his time in Ireland.

Some say Pete could've beat the All Blacks with bolt of lightning from his Arse. He didn't want to though and last I heard he was in US coaching.

Some say Pete could've beat the All Blacks with bolt of lightning from his Arse. He didn't want to though and last I heard he was in US coaching.

Sounds like the start of the speech from Braveheart.

BOD has my vote as the most overrated player ever. Making a Semi-Final would've been a career high for him, or even getting close to the AB's... geez mate, those standards are looow.

No that has to be that English Captain from the 90's. The one who went out with Princess Diana. He was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts