• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

North Island Vs South Island

D

Dmx#1

Man it would be awesome if NZ rugby union would have their own state of origin. North vs South. It would benefit the all black selectors too beacuse they could treat it as a trial.

Im sure my squads are flawed so feel free to edit or add ur own squad

North
1. T Woodcock
2. K Mealamu
3. N Tialata
4. J Eaton
5. A Williams
6. J Collins
7. C Masoe
8. R So'oialo
9. P Weepu
10. Nacewa
11. J Rocokoko
12. L McAlistar
13. I Toeva
1.G Somervill
14. S Sivivatu
15. M Muliana

South
1. G Somerville
2. A Oliver
3. C Hayman
4. C Jack
5. R Filipo
6. J Blackie
7. R McGaw
8. M Tuiali
9. J Cowan
10. D Carter
11. S Hamilton
12. A Mauger
13. C Laulala
14. R Gear
15. L MacDonald

lol mostly crusaders in the south squad. Who here agree withs me that this would be awesome?

North Island

1) Woodcock
2) Mealamu
3) Tialata
4) Rawlinson
5) Williams
6) Flavell
7) Braid
8) Lauaki

9) Leonard

10) Evans (has quit Otago and is going one of the Blues Provinces)
11) Rocokoko
12) McAlister
13) Toeava
14) Sivivatu
15) Mils

The South would get f***ed over.

this used to be played but got scrapped. graham henry brought back the abs trial a few years back but that too got scrapped again. quite simply with the super 14 and the june tests there is no room or need for an ab trial or a north v south game. if you are good enough for the abs then you have a long test career otherwise well you don't play for the abs and end up going up north to rake in the millions and be called a god

edit: and anyway like ripper said the north would just carve up bigtime anyway. most of the likely north team would be in the abs :D

North Island

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Neemia Tialata
4. Ali Williams
5. Jason Eaton
6. Sione Lauaki
7. Marty Holah
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Luke McAlister
11. Roy Kinikinilau
12. Sam Tuitupou
13. Isaia Toeava
14. Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. Doug Howlett

South XV

1. Greg Somerville
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Chris Jack
5. Ross Filipo
6. Reuben Thorne
7. Richie McCaw
8. Hale T-Pole
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Daniel Carter
11. Vili Waqaseduadua
12. Aaron Mauger
13. Rua Tipoki
14. Rico Gear
15. Leon McDonald

If they scrapped the tri-nations then this could replace it....a 3 game series like the Aussie SOO.

However it would be marketed better if the jerseys were NOT black for the north and white for the south like they used to have.

Instead the Northern jersey would be predominatly blue (because Auckland is the biggest city) with yellow as the main seconday colour (cos Welly is the second biggest city) with skimpy splashes of maroon, black, and a light blue (the other famous unions of the north).

The Southern jersey could be predominatly red (cos Christchurch is the biggest city) with its secondary being blue (Otago) with small splashes of the main minor unions.

Both jerseys could be done stylishly to attract better exposure for the series...its all in the marketing.

Both Islands could be given an iconic name rather than the boring North and South. As well as a logo that fitted the name.

Maybe each team could have a unique haka to perform haha :)

Perhaps to make it more closer to home for each player.....the players have to play for the Island they grew up in...the one they identify themselves with....rather than the Franchise they currently play for.

Ok who is gonna start designing a jersey??????

Man it would be awesome if NZ rugby union would have their own state of origin. North vs South. It would benefit the all black selectors too beacuse they could treat it as a trial.

Im sure my squads are flawed so feel free to edit or add ur own squad

North
1. T Woodcock
2. K Mealamu
3. N Tialata
4. J Eaton
5. A Williams
6. J Collins
7. C Masoe
8. R So'oialo
9. P Weepu
10. Nacewa
11. J Rocokoko
12. L McAlistar
13. I Toeva
1.G Somervill
14. S Sivivatu
15. M Muliana

South
1. G Somerville
2. A Oliver
3. C Hayman
4. C Jack
5. R Filipo
6. J Blackie
7. R McGaw
8. M Tuiali
9. J Cowan
10. D Carter
11. S Hamilton
12. A Mauger
13. C Laulala
14. R Gear
15. L MacDonald

lol mostly crusaders in the south squad. Who here agree withs me that this would be awesome?
[/b]

Well if you are to have a 'State of Origin' then you must select players based on where they are from. This would rule out many of your Southern team as they are from the North Island. They moved after being contracted by the Crusaders / Highlanders.

i.e. the following are from the North Island: Sommerville, Filipo, Tuiai'i, Gear and Lauala is from Samoa.

^

The North team would be stacked. Otago is just rubbish, so the South team would be relying heavily on Canterbury.

A probables vs possibles trial would make teams more even imo.. The last 2 trials suggest that with both matches being so tight

Well if you are to have a 'State of Origin' then you must select players based on where they are from. [/b]

True i was about to say that. They should make it that you have to play for the island you play for in super 14 to even things out.Correct me if im wrong i think someone told me that they used to have this North vs South thing but wellington represented the south as well :blink: . I Wonder how more even it would be?

1. N Tialata
2. A Oliver
3. C Hayman
4. C Jack
5. J Eaton
6. J Collins
7. R McGaw
8. R So'oialo
9. P Weepu
10. D Carter
11. D Smith
12. A Mauger
13. C Laulala
14. R Gear
15. L MacDonald

Nah, they had 3 teams divided into 3 "zones" - North, Central and Southern.

And David Smith is an Aucklander - he is still contracted to the Auckland NPC team and is an Auckland Product

edit: and anyway like ripper said the north would just carve up bigtime anyway. most of the likely north team would be in the abs :D
[/b]

Well that's because the South Island holds approximately just a quater of the entire country's population.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Well that's because the South Island holds approximately just a quater of the entire country's population.
[/b][/quote]

but not every single person plays rugby like you seem to think. the north would win because they have better players while the south are all heading overseas (read highlanders entire front row plus evans going up to auckland.)

Lauaki should be there
Donald should be there
Kelleher over Weepu
Holah at 7
Robinson in the locks

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

but not every single person plays rugby like you seem to think. the north would win because they have better players while the south are all heading overseas (read highlanders entire front row plus evans going up to auckland.)
[/b][/quote]

Of course I don't "seem to think that every single person plays rugby", even soccer is a more popular sport to play in New Zealand. I was getting more to the point where as generally factual, bigger populations have better chances of producing great top talents...well compare tiny NZ rugby and the rest of other larger nations, we kiwis have a passion in rugby which is why we're good. But again in general a larger population will always have the better chance. :)

Lauaki should be there
Donald should be there
Kelleher over Weepu
Holah at 7
Robinson in the locks
[/b]

Donald? What are you smoking? Last Time I checked Nick Evans was starting a Test tonight, Donald is playing Understrength Pacific Island Teams.

Donald would be 3rd Fly Half in the North Island at best.

And No Way Lauaki should be ahead of Jerry or Rodney, you know, the First Choice All Blacks.

<div class='quotemain'>
Lauaki should be there
Donald should be there
Kelleher over Weepu
Holah at 7
Robinson in the locks
[/b]

Donald? What are you smoking? Last Time I checked Nick Evans was starting a Test tonight, Donald is playing Understrength Pacific Island Teams.

Donald would be 3rd Fly Half in the North Island at best.

And No Way Lauaki should be ahead of Jerry or Rodney, you know, the First Choice All Blacks.
[/b][/quote]

His name obviously explains why he's picked such an unfair, 'little-mind' considered selection. But I would leave him to his choice...some pretty awful ones too. :p

If there was a north v south, South Island would trash the north cos the crusaders are the best team in nz. This means that they would have a good selection of players for south island!

Ah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. Man for Man the South Island backline apart from Carter would be outmanned and outgunned, and even than Carter is hardly World's ahead of Evans or Carter. And the Foward Pack wouldn't fare much better.

If the NZRU established a North vs South, Crusaders might just be on their own. I remembered the Otago Highlanders franchise is under threat because their stadium is not up to the required standard. Anybody know how the (how should I say it - Otagoans?) debate is faring? Them people are not showing much support for their new stadium.

Latest posts