• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Italy vs. New Zealand (12/11/2016)

I hope they had the foresight to prepare an extra wide scoreboard.

I can't believe New Zealand is only on this table twice.
TBH that list is complete rubbish I'm entirely sure and of the teams beaten classify as 'teams'. Running up cricket scores against poor opposition is hardly something to brag about England V Romania in 2001 is the closest to a Tier 1 V Tier 2 match. The rest have even less worth.

Steady on old boy. It lists losses for RWC regulars Japan, Uruguay and Namibia as well as Romania. Hopefully Canada and Italy aren't added this weekend.

Italy side:

Italy: 15 Edoardo Padovani, 14 Giulio Bisegni, 13 Tommaso Benvenuti, 12 Luke McLean, 11 Angelo Esposito, 10 Carlo Canna, 9 Giorgio Bronzini, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Maxime Mbanda, 5 Andries Van Schalkwyk, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Lorenzo Cittadini, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Andrea Lovotti

Replacements: 16 Ornel Gega, 17 Sami Panico, 18 Pietro Ceccarelli, 19 George Biagi, 20 Francesco Minto, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Tommaso Allan, 23 Tommaso Boni

O'Shea so confident against a reeling All Blacks that he's playing second choice players and players out of position. Perfect time to get experimental!

So we have:
- fly half Padovani starting at fullback (why not Mclean, who actually has international experience at fullback - or Odiete (ditto)?)
- Bronzini at scrum half rather than Gori (mystified)
- terrible selection of backs with no Sarto (in form), Campagnaro, Venditti (in form), Odiete or in the squad (Campagnaro for all I know though could be injured).

The only backs I'd have picked are Canna and Benvenuti. I guess this gives O'Shea excuses when the inevitable happens, but surely busting a gut to avoid humiliation and cries of "kick them out of the Six Nations" would be any sane man's number one priority.

Everyone said New Zealand would win last weekend, even bookies had then 20+

The match isn't a foregone conclusion, remember the match when Italy were robbed a victory due to poor scrum officiating a few years back.

The one in 2009 on which the incorrect officiating actually went against the All Blacks and cost Dickinson his career, but Italy still lost by 20 or so. Hardly robbed. They weren't close.

The match isn't a foregone conclusion, remember the match when Italy were robbed a victory due to poor scrum officiating a few years back.

That is some top quality trolling.

Italy side:

[...] he's playing second choice players and players out of position.

Is Italy having Japan Syndrome? First choice players making themselves unavailable?

Regardless, I'm worried about New Zealand's and Canada's chances. That we might be bowled out by 40 overs and that Ireland will keep batting for at least 80 and better our score.

Last edited:
Sarto and Venditti are both in the Pro12 so there should be no issue with their selection. Damn O'Shea for learning Italian so quickly, it makes it harder to pick up information from him in the media.

Thanks Heinie, much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

So Fekitoa and Lienert Brown eh.... hmmmm....

I imagine Cane will be subbed at some point. Who will take over as captain?

Probably would have preferred Sapoaga starting however given Cruden hasn't had much game time lately, it seems to be the right choice.

How this team gels will be interesting to see.

Hopefully it's doesn't turn into the messy game of 2009. That was an eyesore with poor handling.

I imagine Cane will be subbed at some point. Who will take over as captain?

Probably would have preferred Sapoaga starting however given Cruden hasn't had much game time lately, it seems to be the right choice.

How this team gels will be interesting to see.

Hopefully it's doesn't turn into the messy game of 2009. That was an eyesore with poor handling.

I would imagine Cruden would. But then he'll get subbed... So... Retallick?

It is a... Very interesting team. McKenzie, Ioane, and Lienert-Brown.. Players that, very much will be there after the next world cup. I really rate Ioane, I think that when he gets his man's body, he really will be world class.

Slightly relieved with the NZ selection although 10 thru 15 can destroy Italy if they click. Good to see Mackenzie getting another crack, this time with Dagg at 14. Suggests Mackenzie will be the long term heir apparent to an ageing Ben Smith IF he can take his opportunity to impress.

I would imagine Cruden would. But then he'll get subbed... So... Retallick?

It is a... Very interesting team. McKenzie, Ioane, and Lienert-Brown.. Players that, very much will be there after the next world cup. I really rate Ioane, I think that when he gets his man's body, he really will be world class.

I'd have thought most likely Dagg for captaincy - He's very unlikely to be subbed off and he seems to have a much clearer and calmer head on him these days. Do teams even have vice captains on the bench? Good question though.

Good shout, that NZ scrum was an embarrassment. They got lucky with that antipodean referee. If it had been a French one, they were done for.

Isn't it interesting that NZ and Ireland are playing "weaker" teams before they clash again ? Very interesting...

And so it begins. First untouched try. Italy with at least three players playing out of position.

It needs to be narrower. NZ scoring at more than a point a minute. Three figures still on. At least Italy won't be nilled.

Black backlash. And also the calls for Georgia to at least given a playoff chance to be promoted to the 6Ns proper in place of Italy grows ever stronger.

Last edited:

Latest posts