• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ wants Anybody but australia to Win RWC 2011

For me it's because of Robbie Deans.
Didn't like him as a player, coach or manager.
Also being from Taranaki we don't like Canterbury and all the Cantabs would be an annoying "we told you so" lot if Aussie win under Deans.
So really any other sport or any other coach and you'd have the love cuz.

oh because the way the Aussies played in their QF exit was great was it?

No who said it was?

I'd simply rather see a team win that plays running ball in hand rugby (or as much of that as the pressure allows) as opposed to a team that is solely centered around a kick/chase/penalty/drop kick approach. It will simply be a much better advertisment for the game on an international stage, whereas a Bok win, playing that style, will offer a pretty sad prognosis for the future of the game.

I'd simply rather see a team win that plays running ball in hand rugby (or as much of that as the pressure allows) as opposed to a team that is solely centered around a kick/chase/penalty/drop kick approach. It will simply be a much better advertisment for the game on an international stage, whereas a Bok win, playing that style, will offer a pretty sad prognosis for the future of the game.

You know, this was said exactly 4 years ago just before the 2007 World Cup, and you know what, the game didn't get any bad publicity, loss in viewers, loss of interest or anything negative about the game of Rugby Union.

In Fact there only came positives, there's now more tournaments with more teams all over the globe playing first class rugby.

there's more players to choose from. I remember that after the 2007RWC there were people saying where will Australia get their players from? everybody is retiring, they are depleted, etc etc. But just look how many amazingly talented players the Aussies have now, and they don't need to show their worth vs Rugby League or AFL. the sold out final of the Super 15 this year, is proof of that.

7's is now an Olympic Sport hopefully, that means more players.

It's just you f****ing All Blacks and Aussies that has this mentality that rugby should be played by just scoring tries only!

Why not just go to the IRB and tell them from now on, everytime you score a try, there must be a 5m Scrum for the attacking team, and you have just one phase to try and score again for 2 points instead of going for goal???

The tournament will be a success no matter what, no matter who wins (please let the Kiwi's Choke!!). no matter who plays in the final, and no matter what brand of rugby they play!!

The tournament will be a success no matter what, no matter who wins (please let the Kiwi's Choke!!). no matter who plays in the final, and no matter what brand of rugby they play!!

Yes but it will be a far greater success if the utlimate spectacle is one of running rugby as opposed to endless kicks, bombs and penalties. The Wallabies play a style that is far far more likely to attract & retain young and new players as well as being far far more appealing to a T.V audience, particulary those in the States and other countries who will be largely ignorant of the game and won't appreciate the extremely exciting midfield bombs, box kicks and drop goals that the boks will be relying upon.

I much prefer the Bok fans and modesty of the players. That style is just a reflection on the ineptitude of the coach and control of the senior players rather than the Bok's not having some absolutely sublime running backs which is what the real shame is.

It's just you f****ing All Blacks and Aussies that has this mentality that rugby should be played by just scoring tries only!

not really, the multiple methods of scoring in rugby is what attracts me to the game. growing up in AFL saturated Melbourne, you get bored of aiming your kicks at the centre of the big sticks for 6 points and if you miss, you only get 1 point.

They've even tried to add more methods of scoring into AFL but introducing "super goals" into the preseason competition, worth 9 points. fair to say the concept hasn't really taken off.

Yes but it will be a far greater success if the utlimate spectacle is one of running rugby as opposed to endless kicks, bombs and penalties. The Wallabies play a style that is far far more likely to attract & retain young and new players as well as being far far more appealing to a T.V audience, particulary those in the States and other countries who will be largely ignorant of the game and won't appreciate the extremely exciting midfield bombs, box kicks and drop goals that the boks will be relying upon.

I much prefer the Bok fans and modesty of the players. That style is just a reflection on the ineptitude of the coach and control of the senior players rather than the Bok's not having some absolutely sublime running backs which is what the real shame is.

So what you want is for all the teams to play in a style that suits you and the Aussies because thats more attractive. How do you know what people in the states want? If you want loads of tries and "ball in hand" thenyou have the very successful 7s circuit.

England were criticized in 2003 for winning in a supposed boring way but the win seriously boosted the game here. Its not about the style of rugby that attracts new people its about how well their receptive countries do. I seem to remember some NZ commentators complaining about having the likes of Portugal in the same group as them in 2007, yet that one game against the All blacks that resulted in a cricket score got tons of media coverage in Portugal and again boosted the game, yet all the kiwis did was winge they had an easy pool game. Argentina got to the SF playing a kick and chase game and because of that are now joining the tri nations.

When it comes down to it all this talk about lots of tries/ball in hand etc is nothing to do with expanding the game its about playing a style game that NZ and Austraila are good at so it increases their chances of winning it.

Disagree that NZ or Aus winning would be best for the game.
The game will be fine whoever wins and each teams style has it's pros and cons.
Personally I'd like to see the All Blacks tighten up a bit and keep the ball in the forwards a bit more but I'll support them no matter as they're my team.
Also I might be the only Kiwi to say this but I like watching the Boks play and really enjoy their style of game, the rolling mauls, precision kicking etc... reminds me of how NZ used to play (in fact I think we may of won a wc playing like this).
Whoever wins and however they do it (hopefully with a dominant forward display and some skills in the backs) I'm sure it will be good to watch and it will help the game grow.

Disagree that NZ or Aus winning would be best for the game.
The game will be fine whoever wins and each teams style has it's pros and cons.
Personally I'd like to see the All Blacks tighten up a bit and keep the ball in the forwards a bit more but I'll support them no matter as they're my team.
Also I might be the only Kiwi to say this but I like watching the Boks play and really enjoy their style of game, the rolling mauls, precision kicking etc... reminds me of how NZ used to play (in fact I think we may of won a wc playing like this).
Whoever wins and however they do it (hopefully with a dominant forward display and some skills in the backs) I'm sure it will be good to watch and it will help the game grow.

A Kiwi supporter that makes sense. The word is RUGBY...and the definition of the game includes scrums, mauls, rucks, line-outs, backline play, dropgoals etc etc. It doesn't only talk about running backline play and scoring tries and this makes the game of RUGBY. It talks about the full spectrum. We as the Springboks may have masterred a different aspect of what the Aussies or the Kiwi's or Ireland or Wales have masterred. But we all play this game to our current strenghts. I enjoy all aspects of the game. I watched the Aus semi against NZ 2003 last night and it was a spectacle, I watched the Aus final againt England, again a spectacle but 2 total different types of games. None deterred me from the game. It was just plain awesome.

Good post Cardassian​

PS. I slow, grinding win like we did in 2007 is much better for my heart:D. Fast games, lotsof tries just freak me out and drives me to drink. Best way to watch a final is to record it, go to a stamp collection exhibition, and watch the recorded interviews afterwards and then decide if you want to watch the game.....

Just kidding....braai(barbeque), Steak, some vegatables (preferably chicken), Springbok shooters per try (havent had much of those recently) and lotsof friends keeps the nerves at bay. And then keep some sheep in the backyard in case.....

You know, this was said exactly 4 years ago just before the 2007 World Cup, and you know what, the game didn't get any bad publicity, loss in viewers, loss of interest or anything negative about the game of Rugby Union.

In Fact there only came positives, there's now more tournaments with more teams all over the globe playing first class rugby.

Even England are trying to play attacking Rugby.

there's more players to choose from. I remember that after the 2007RWC there were people saying where will Australia get their players from? everybody is retiring, they are depleted, etc etc. But just look how many amazingly talented players the Aussies have now, and they don't need to show their worth vs Rugby League or AFL. the sold out final of the Super 15 this year, is proof of that.

An Australian team and NZ team were playing. The match was SPECTACULAR, and now - whether you realise it or not - are advocating for it.

7's is now an Olympic Sport hopefully, that means more players.

Really you brought up 7's?!? Have you watched a 7's? If 7's was played like 2007 RWC it would've been classed as a special Olympics sport.

Why not just go to the IRB and tell them from now on, everytime you score a try, there must be a 5m Scrum for the attacking team, and you have just one phase to try and score again for 2 points instead of going for goal???

Now that's just silly.

Also, AB's to win the World Cup.

Ps. After AB's win, i'm betting you're the first person on the 'AB's can only win the RWC at home but will choke everywhere else' bandwagon.

Pps. It's all good. Samoa will at least do you a favour and damage Smit before quarters.

England were playing very attractive rugby before the '03 RWC beating teams by scoring loads and loads of tries. But when it really matters you play safe and win it. Its like that in every form of sports, because you don't want to take risks in finals you just wont to be ahead at the end of the match and win the bloody thing.

I'd rather see anyone but Australia win simply because I find they're the most cocky, arrogant and egotistical supporters on the planet. It's that simple.
I include the Aussie media too.

I would rather a different team to Aus win, because of the history between them and us. I know plenty of kiwis who would rather see Aus win than SA, because they have beaten us more. My flatmate is an Aussie, so we give each other a hard time when we win and they lose, but I will be carefull this year cos last year i laughed for like 10 mins at her when Aus lost in the QF, and well, a few hours later karma came and bit me on the ass....

Because say what you like, there are more Australians in New Zealand and more New Zealanders in Australia, that you know if Australia won the RWC in New Zealand for a THIRD time, we'd never hear the end of it. I'm pretty sure I could commit suicide after the game, and an Australian would still mention the result in the eulogy.
Aaah crap. You just summed up 1000 years of history between Ireland and England. There really is nothing to play for and we should all go home and live in peace. **** that! Hehe.

Im on the different side of the fence. As much as I dislike aussie because of the trans-tasman rivalry and they're just far too up themselves to befriend, there is no other team I would rather see win other than us but the Aussies for the simple fact that I still rate them as second best in the world. I feel if we don't make it, they deserve to. Not to mention some of my favourite players have come from Australia, [George Smith, George Gregan] and last but not least, it's a Southern Hemisphere thing. :p

I think what more pivitol, is that the Kiwi's and Aussie come together against England, I'd say it's a way worse hatred. The Anyone but England brigade in the Southern Hemisphere....

I have lived in Aussie and now live in NZ, and the way you and your media, try everything to undermine England is actually quite sad and pathetic.

I think what more pivitol, is that the Kiwi's and Aussie come together against England, I'd say it's a way worse hatred. The Anyone but England brigade in the Southern Hemisphere....

I have lived in Aussie and now live in NZ, and the way you and your media, try everything to undermine England is actually quite sad and pathetic.

Huh? We hardly ever play England, and we win far more often than not so there is no rivalry really between the two countries like there is between NZ and Aus.

I actually don't mind Aus usually, but the combo of Robbie Deans and Quade Cooper (incidentally both ex kiwis) means they're my most hated team. I've always supported Aus after NZ in other world cups, just not this time round.

I'd rather see anyone but Australia win simply because I find they're the most cocky, arrogant and egotistical supporters on the planet. It's that simple.
I include the Aussie media too.

you joined in June 2007, and that is your first post.......heck of a post you put together in 4 years

Latest posts