• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pablo Matera to fight for the survival of his International career?

So apparently Matera has posted a message to resign or something like that and I loosely say this but condemned the UAR for their reaction.

Translation from the alleged Matera statement which I guess we need to confirm first follows below.

"In light of the events that are now public knowledge and as a way to express my discontent with what happened I hereby present my irrevocable resignation from the Argentinean Rugby National Team, disagreeing with the behavior of the UAR's authorities.

I believe that while I have erred as the human being I am, the actions taken by the management have been outsized and have delegitimized a whole life of preparation and effort that led me to the place where I am, or was. I thank everybody who understands the situation and always supports us, to my family who was been my touchstone in this hard times, I never thought that the thought-police was going to put me on trial in this way for something written by the teenager I used to be, but I accept responsibility.

We shouldn't forget that freedom of expression/speech is a right of each and every one of Argentineans and as such, correct or not, must be respected. I take home the pride of having represented the country with the colors that I also carry in my heart, regrettably it's the end of a stage."

So,he decided to show his temper :rolleyes: does it mean the end of his career in sports, interesting..

There will be a French club willing to take him, I find it personally very sad to see the careers of great players come to an end like this, and Matera is a great player, can walk into any International side.

There will be a French club willing to take him, I find it personally very sad to see the careers of great players come to an end like this, and Matera is a great player, can walk into any International side.

He's already with Stare Francais, as far as I know there's been no disciplinary action there yet.

He's also the one who's chosen to end his international career permanently.

Just a note that this statement needs to be confirmed first, untill then it should be taken with a pinch of salt. Many false things doing the rounds.

his loss. puma's will continue without him. no legacy for Matera

so he said Argentinian's have rights to free speech, but @Cruz_del_Sur said what he did was illegal?

I think the only difference between wha uar did and what any other tier one or two rugby nation would have done is that they suspended the players probably against their contractual rights whereas other countries would have just not selected them During the period prior to working out what else they should or could do.

if Sam cane had done it I imagine he wouldn't be captain again unless he went in some big equality drive

matera seems childish. this is something he can fight but instead he's choosing to throw his toys. you said something stupid, as a stupid teenager, take your medicine like a man. stand up and be counted.
dont just walk away , it just shows you dont give a sht

matera seems childish. this is something he can fight but instead he's choosing to throw his toys. you said something stupid, as a stupid teenager, take your medicine like a man. stand up and be counted.
dont just walk away , it just shows you dont give a sht
so much for "I play for my country"...doesn't seem to want to fight or make any sacrifices to keep doing it

Absolutely not, but the rest of the world is not part of that conversation.

Why would people care about what the rest of the world would take when both the sender and the receiver of the communication perfectly understand what is being communicated.
Let me elaborate a bit more because i find this important. Let make it simple.
A is Matera
B is his audience
C the subject (****** (in the argentine sense), bolivians, paraguayans, etc.) or someone who could be offended if his audience is not the subject
D is everyone else.
its tweets though, they are designed to go to as many people in the world as possible, that's why there is the retweet function, if we were talking about an email that had been dug up i'd still think he was a bit of a dick in his youth but that his privacy had been breached....a tweet is the modern day version of standing on a box in the town square and yelling it at people, its their choice to be in the square but once the'yre there they have to hear it

you don't tweet things for a specific person, you message or email them....he wanted a wider audience to hear these things...at the time at least

Last edited:
Seems like he's cutting his nose off to spite his face

From what I read he'd been removed as Captain and suspended for at least this next game - not banned for life.
To retire from international rugby over that seems very premature, and isn't going to endear himself to the fans or the union.

Really makes him seem like the same spoiled rich kid making tweets about his maid getting a hair in his food

so much for "I play for my country"...doesn't seem to want to fight or make any sacrifices to keep doing it
i agree. not proud enough to fight for it; in which case he's not really captain material so puma's are better off really

Dramatic stuff, stay tuned folks.

So...The Argentinian players threatened to strike, I hope that doesn't mean they are all classist and xenophobic.

This is insane, remove the captaincy to feed the mob, possibly suspend/deselect during investigation (its old tweets so that's harash), send him on a social media course and tolerance once. Make him issue at actual apology.

All unions! Get a social media policy and make sure your players have an auto delete systems put in place....

However the toys are being thrown out and now a reversal. That's not how you manage a situation like this....

Dramatic stuff, stay tuned folks.

So...The Argentinian players threatened to strike, I hope that doesn't mean they are all classist and xenophobic.

It's quite correct.

The team became one with the suspended players and the federation had to back down.

It is very revealing of a moral crisis in the social group which plays rugby.

Instead of prioritizing self-criticism or questioning its values as a social group, they did something else.

Some prefer to play the victimization card, denounce the hypocrisy of others and not one's own, or charge the government with going delusional complot.

A few comments above I have given historical context on the fiercely unpopular origins of rugby without which the twits of Matera, Petti and Socino cannot be understood.

Still, I remain hopeful that this scandal, as well as the global condemnation, will help us challenge ourselves.

Latest posts