• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pablo Matera to fight for the survival of his International career?

Blast from the past. I guess some of you will remember.
This thread won thread of the year award back then and i think it makes quite an interesting read given what has happened the last week. I disagree with most of what was written but it is nevertheless entertaining.

Even though i don't think people like the OP are a majority, nowhere even close, they do exist and their actions need to be addressed.

My fav post.
People like Conrad do so much damage to the game of rugby, is a beautiful game to watch and practice and must be within the reach of any person, but unfortunately there are still some people in my country with closed minded and they believe rugby is an elitist game; and if you're poor, black and live in a slum, you can not even get close to RUGBY, that would be an insult! Such a racist mother f ... you're Conrad. If Felipe Contepomi listen to you, he would give you a beating.

Yeah my work has social media guidelines that can lead to instant dismissal - last two companies as well.
Yup all contracts I've signed specifically state as gross misconduct anything that would bring the company into disrepute. I once had an awkward conversation about having to go to court about an unpaid bill (because I was a childish idiot) and needing last minuite time off to go to it. Obviously no action was taken because it was 'fine'.

Also have worked under strict social media policies which generally prohibit me saying who I work for.

I find it amazing how much people don't even know is in their contract, I remember getting a my professional studies lecturer to read over my first one to just point out the things I should be aware of

and just recently I had a graduate try and claim time in leu AND double time because we asked if he could work on the weekend, had to point him to the section of his contract that said "40hrs plus additional time as needed to complete your role" similar words to every contract ive ever had

Also, playing for your country is a pretty unique job that should quite obviously require a certain value system, and to require you to have to really prove that if there was reason to doubt it.

Also, playing for your country is a pretty unique job that should quite obviously require a certain value system, and to require you to have to really prove that if there was reason to doubt it.
reminds me of the youngs guys you heard about that break the law and then get name suppression because it might affect their career...yes...it will...that's part of the punishment! representing you country is a privilege, not a right, god forbit you have to get a real job like the rest of us

I agree in theory. I have a few questions i don't have an answer for tho. First, i don't really know how and if you could reconcile that with most western legal systems where the standard premise is innocent till proven guilty.
What you are suggesting is, essentially, inverting the burden of proof, which i am not sure is legal in many places. Second, you would need to state that explicitly in a contract. I am all in favour of making people accountable for their actions as long as they made aware of those conditions beforehand.

Matera et al tweets have unravelled a new level of shitstorm in Arg and the aim hasn't been only at the players but at UAR, rugby clubs and rugby in general. It's partly their fault for endlessly repeating the "values" speech to differentiate themselves from other sports. That ended up putting a huge bull's eye in rugby.
My question is, what is the responsibility of, let's make it simple, the rugby club? Someone who finished high school, plays footie, rugby, studies at uni, has a job. He does something bad, bad enough that it becomes newsworthy.
I would say that other than the person himself if he plays rugby, most journalists would target the rugby club. Rarely the school, not the uni, not his employer, not his footie club. Sometimes his family (if it's related to classism, racism, etc, but not so much if it is related to violence) but most definitely his rugby club. There is this expectation that, for example, a guy that volunteers 3 times a week to teach/train 14-year-olds rugby is responsible for anything bad enough they could do in the next 10/15 years. It's as if rugby trainers have this burden of having to be not only trainers but mentors, motivational speakers and psychological advisors, with all the asociated liabilities if things go wrong. And again, a lot of them without being paid a cent.

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but in Arg that is incredibly unfair. I'm curious.
I always looked at it as if the moral values that you got out from playing it were a huge benefit from actually playing the sport, but not the purpose itself. You learn teamwork because it's a team sport, you learn leadership because good leadership pays off in the pitch and you learn resilience because that yields results. You dont learn those things as a lesson with them as the end result. That happening is a fortunate accident.
Placing the blame on the clubs and trainers for the wrongdoings of the people they train, as if they were responsible for anything they do is mental. Unless you can prove otherwise, course.

I find it amazing how much people don't even know is in their contract, I remember getting a my professional studies lecturer to read over my first one to just point out the things I should be aware of

and just recently I had a graduate try and claim time in leu AND double time because we asked if he could work on the weekend, had to point him to the section of his contract that said "40hrs plus additional time as needed to complete your role" similar words to every contract ive ever had
I read every working contact I've signed but it does amazes people who don't. There are usually interesting little tidbit company to company and there is certainly no such thing as a standard contract. I had a petty fractious relationship with an old boss and I wanted to buy some leave which was in my contact for up to 5 days a year (actually this amounted to authorised unpaid leave but it was sold as buying days). As a person I'm quite to go essentially 5 days unpaid throughout the year to get an extra week holiday. He basically pulled me aside and asked why I was the only one in his team ever taking it and it was really suspicious I was. Now the terms of my contrract said the only thing I was obligated to do when requesting it was to was follow standard notice procedures for any leave and it couldn't be refused unless a business case could be made (this has never happened to me in 13 years in the industry). So I had to point out it was in my contract and I didn't have to explain myself and if he wanted to say I couldn't do it anymore I'd be going down HR to make a official complaint. Needless to say he backed off but I don't think he even realised it was allowed by our contracts and the probable reason nobody used it was they didn't realise it was in theirs either because the company never promoted it.

I think the only way you don't get fired for having tweets like that in Ireland is if you're a DUP elected official.

For real though I'd be fired faster than you could say 'Great Man'

Latest posts