• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Phillips to miss November Tests

A

An Tarbh

Mike Phillips has been ruled out for 3 months following the ankle injury he picked up in the win over Clermont on Sunday. As well as missing the November matches he'll miss the double header against Viadana and it's touch and go as to whether he'll be fit for the final pool matches away to Clermont and home to Leicester given that the best case scenario is him being out for 10-12 weeks.

BBC Sport

So who's in pole position for the Autumn, Cooper, Peel, or would Roberts or Rees have a chance, even Williams is an option but surely that would be a last resort.

Overrated? Oh please, he's probably the biggest marmite player in the game. And when on form he is terrific.

You either love him, or hate him.

The moment he shuts his gob, I love him.

Start Shane Williams at Scrum Half, and have Mark Jones and Tom James on the wings. Shaney spent most of his early career at SH, and looked comftable there last weekend when he slotted in.

Worth noting the Ospreys have also lost Jamie Nutbrown, their second-choice SH for the exact same period of time. Just as well they signed three 9s over the summer, then.

Phillips is a loss, however he hasn't been in great form since returning from the Lions tour. It looks like Peel's really found some form again at Sale, so I'd start him v NZ, Martin Roberts on the bench (who's really upped his game this season). Shane didn't look particulary comfortouble on Sunday, infact all he did was pop the ball up to the forwards. Shane tries a little too hard from scrum half, often meaning he's unavailable for the next ruck. He'd be behind Peel, Martin Roberts and Cooper for me. Shane may have started his early career at 9, but that was at Amman united in devision 2, 3? He was converted instantly into a winger by Lyn Jones for a reason, because he wasn't a good enough scrum half! He's not a good enough sh at regional level, let alone international.

GRRR. Even if we have Peely to fall back on (or start), we'd still like to have two decent SH's. That's just one more chink in the armor- at this point, we're going to be lucky to have enough players to put on the pitch.

Martin Roberts is a very decent scrum half. If the forwards can supply the ball, both Peel and Roberts are easily good enough to use that ball. The majour problem with loosing Phillips is his ability to play on the back foot, so if the forwards don't get parity, were gonna be worse off.

I hope Gatland just bites the bullet and plays Peel, he's the next best by a country mile.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Oct 20 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope Gatland just bites the bullet and plays Peel, he's the next best by a country mile.[/b]
This is true, his two games so far with Sale this season he's really stood out (though tbf, the way sale are playing it's not hard to stand out, but you get what i mean)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 20 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he's probably the biggest marmite player in the game. And when on form he is terrific.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 20 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What the hell is a marmite player? :huh:[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 20 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You either love him, or hate him.[/b]

I thought it was something to do with fake tan. Just goes to show eh.

Peel would be the sensible automatic choice but the NZ game is outside the IRB agreed window. Peel plays for Sale and the WRU don't have an agreement with the GP clubs as they do the regions. So Sale are within their rights to not let Peel free to train with the Welsh squad before the game. If that happens the choice really is between Roberts (in form) or Cooper (big game experience).

As an aside I'd like to see maybe Tavis Knoyle get at least a bench spot for the 'lesser' games as he seems to be quite an exciting prospect.

I haven't seen much of Knoyle. Maybe a couple of games of Wales U20 games with him featuring. I don't think he's ready for a Wales spot just yet. Wayne Evans at the Dragon's must be there or therabouts though?

I hope Peel can be released, he's certainly the best option available.

Latest posts