• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 1

Best of luck to all - especially the groundsmen at the Rec.
Sounds like the newly laid pitch was cutting up badly on Saturday - Dunno if it was the late-summer weather playing havoc with the root growth, or the early-summer weather playing havoc with relaying the drainage - possibly both, of course.

The Rugby Network will be streaming Premiership games this season for free to some areas of our planet. Hope your's is one of them. 1696898573623.png Go Gloucester!

Last edited:
The Rugby Network will be streaming Premiership games this season for free to some areas of our planet. Hope your's is one of them. View attachment 18070 Go Gloucester!

a VPN can help there

Im not expecting alot this season from Chiefs really given our list of big or important names that have left the club.

Main thing i want to see os these young players develop over this season. It will be good to get Jenkins and Tshiunza back.

Slade being out of favour with England and Hawkins not playing for Wales, i hope this can be a great partnership that grows.

Sarries is a huge game and im guessing we wont be favourites here.

I honestly have no idea how our season's going to go - still feel we're far too prone to going missing for multiple games at a time to really predict with any accuracy
Hopefully minimal disruption to our first choice side from last season to this will iron some of that out

I honestly have no idea how our season's going to go - still feel we're far too prone to going missing for multiple games at a time to really predict with any accuracy
Hopefully minimal disruption to our first choice side from last season to this will iron some of that out
I've no idea for Bath either - JvG seems to want to play boring antu-rugby... Think Saracens of 10 years ago, without the defensive solidity or team spirit - and for the linch-pin, we've gone for... Finn Russell...
What could possibly go wrong?

Hopefully though, the 6:2 bench and the anti-rugby was just whilst JvG was finding out what his charges can do, and we'll see something a bit better with a whole season under his belt.

Last edited:
Tigers depth is pretty impressive for me

Outside of starting loosehead and starting winger alongside OHC our starting team is pretty strong

Rumours Watson is going to be with us this season and is waiting till end of rugby World Cup to be announced due to contract stuff

Despite missing Montoya, Cole, Martin, Chessum, Reffell, Wiese, Youngs, JVP, Pollard, Steward, Kata

We should be having a team v Bristol of
1. Whitcombe, 2. Dolly, 3. Heyes
4. Henderson, 5. Wells
6. Liebenberg, 7. Ilione/cracknell, 8. Rogerson
9. Powell, 10. Atkinson
12. Kelly, 13. Porter
11. OHC, 14. Bassett, 15: Shillcokc

16. Clare, 17. Van Wyk, 18. Hurd
19. Chessum, 20. Hatherell
21. Whiteley, 22. Cokanasiga, 23. Brown

My prediction:

McIntyre, Taylor, Schonert
JLdP, Hill
van Rhyn, Dugdale, DdP
Warr, RdP
Reed, Bedlow, S.James, Roebuck
Carpenter

Thompson (Talk of LCD being fit, but not sure - would rather Langdon Jr here but not sure what his contract status is)
Harrison
Harper
Beaumont
Wiese
Quirke
Doherty
O'Flaherty

That's presuming Curtis and Veainu are out (both picked up minor knocks in preseason, I'd expect both on the bench if fit)
I wouldn't be overly surprised if Quirke started though, been good in the Prem cup so far - supposedly Beaumont has rolled back the years too, though I reckon they'll look to bring on Beaumont and Wiese into the 2nd row together in the 2nd half

My prediction:

McIntyre, Taylor, Schonert
JLdP, Hill
van Rhyn, Dugdale, DdP
Warr, RdP
Reed, Bedlow, S.James, Roebuck
Carpenter

Thompson (Talk of LCD being fit, but not sure - would rather Langdon Jr here but not sure what his contract status is)
Harrison
Harper
Beaumont
Wiese
Quirke
Doherty
O'Flaherty

That's presuming Curtis and Veainu are out (both picked up minor knocks in preseason, I'd expect both on the bench if fit)
I wouldn't be overly surprised if Quirke started though, been good in the Prem cup so far - supposedly Beaumont has rolled back the years too, though I reckon they'll look to bring on Beaumont and Wiese into the 2nd row together in the 2nd half
Can we please have LCD Hill and O'Flaherty back.

Id like to see
Sio Frost Schickerling
Grey Tuima (if they throw Grey straight back in, as we need some more experience in that pack)
Roots Fisilau Vermeulen (maybe Vincent over Fisilau)
Cairns Skinner
Hawkins Slade
Wyatt Hodge Feyi-Waboso

But this is not fair off the side that lost to bath some things to be worked on.

We have Abuladze Grey Jenkins Tshiunza coming back which is good

Can we please have LCD Hill and O'Flaherty back.
No you may not

Sounds like LCD not ready yet - physically he's ready to go but because it was a nerve injury it's just a waiting game until the weekly tests come back with a high enough...whatever they test for him to be good to go
Also TOF got a deadleg on the weekend so might not be fit, Veainu is only back in full training today and Luke James has had surgery after a bad shoulder dislocation - no idea what the bench is gonna be like in that case, might even have to go 6:2 just cause the cupboard's bare

We've only got four players away so should see a starting 15 of:

1 Waller
2 Langdon
3 Davison
4 moon
5 Munga
6 Cole
7 Pearson
8 Augustus
9 James (might not be our 2nd choice now though)
10 F Smith
11 Feeman
12 Hutchinson
13 Dingwall
14 Ramm
15 Furbank

We look light in the forward pack really (as always).

Russell and Redpath back in training at Bath - I'd hope just for the day yesterday for the psych.s to assess them, and to meet the players and coaches; then send them off on holiday for a couple of weeks to get their heads out of rugby. They've been in camp since 29th of May!

But it feels more likely that we'll see them, probably on the bench, this weekend.

Actually quite excited for the prem to be back, even though i see us losing this weekend. Sarries still a very tough ask even with their internationals away.

The Rugby Network will be streaming Premiership games this season for free to some areas of our planet. Hope your's is one of them. View attachment 18070 Go Gloucester!

I'm trying to figure out if it is free in the States or not

Dombrandt not being in the England squad and Evans providing quality cover for Smith is big for Quins.

I'd expect something like:

1. Kerrod
2. Riley
3. Collier
4. Launchbury
5. Lewies
6. Kennigham
7. W. Evans
8. Dombrandt
9. Porter
10. J. Evans
11. Murley
12. Northmore
13. Joseph
14. Lynagh
15. Green

Front row is a little weak and we'll obviously miss Esterhuizen, but otherwise we're in a pretty good spot.

I thought teams came out on thursday afternoons for Sat games?

Latest posts