• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quarter Final Possibilities

A

An Tarbh

So heading into this weekend things were beginning to fall into place regarding the possible quarter final pairings, well things have been well and truly thrown up in the air after this weekend's fixtures.

Early Friday morning we were looking at 3 English sides going through as top seeds, likely to be joined by Toulouse, Cardiff and Clermont with Perpignan well set for a runner-up spot and a mother and father of a dog fight between Leicester, Wasps, Munster and the Ospreys for the final spot.

With a gun to my head I probably would have gone with this

Gloucester v Leicester
Saracens v Perpignan
London Irish v Cardiff
Toulouse v Clermont

However, fastforward to Sunday night and it's a different story altogether with Edinburgh finishing off Leicester's campaign, the Ospreys damaging Gloucester's chance of getting the top seeding, although in reality they should still get a home quarter final, Toulouse faltering and now unlikely to get a home quarter final and to top it off another big gun virtually eliminated thanks to Munster's heroics in the second half at the Marcel Michelin.

So now we're left with this possibility

Saracens v Ospeys
London Irish v Perpignan
Gloucester v Munster
Cardiff v Toulouse

Well that's what it looks like now but which team or teams will throw a spanner in the works in the final weekend of action, it certainly promises to be a cracker.

Being realistic I would say the Semi Finalists would be:

Saracens v Ospeys
London Irish v Perpignan
Gloucester v Munster
Cardiff v Toulouse

I really would love to see Sarries win and get through to a potentially interesting Semi-Finals berth but even at home and with wayward form...I'm not sure.

Wow, ok.

Ospreys v Saracens EDF Semi Final
Ospreys v Saracens HEC Quarter Final

This should be very good.
Being both ignorant and arrogant i wouldn't have worried too much about saracens a while ago, but i have recently been forced to educate myself thanks to a certain moderator (ahem, pete!) and i am now worrying about the camel-lovers.

Looking forward to our first ever quarter final (fingers crossed.)

Will it be your first as well Prestwick?

I think people are in danger of severely underestimating London Irish. They aren't, on paper, the best side in the competition, but on their day they have the players to take on anyone.

Was watching the Ospreys vs Gloucester match in a pub full of their supporters, and mpst seemed confident about the direction the club was moving. Having Shane Geraghty back from injury has certainly added to their cutting edge in the backs.

Wow, looks like it could be a fun Heineken Cup knock out stage, especially with no Leicester, Wasps or Stade Francais... Some very big names missing out on the quarters...

Alot of praise needs to been given to London Irish, they have been the hidden team as it is, obviously due to the bigger names competing...

To be fair I haven't caught a lot of Heineken Cup Rugby this year mainly because I have missed the majority of games for certain reasons and Bath haven't been involved... So who is the Form Team at the moment?

I still think Stade will go through, Bristol can and have beaten so many top teams at home i would be surprised if they didnt dispose of Cardiff. Llanelli have been poor this year, their defense in particular is woeful and i certainly wouldnt bet against a Stade bonus point.

I was really impressed with Munster yesterday, if they can get a home draw then they are my favourites for the tournament.

Despite Munster's home record you lot write Wasps off at your peril.
Munster go into the game as favourites but Wasps are the ultimate party poopers as they have proven in the past.

Despite Munster's home record you lot write Wasps off at your peril. Munster go into the game as favourites but Wasps are the ultimate party poopers as they have proven in the past. [/b]
They are defending champions yeah? I dont think anyone would write them off but at the same time its hard to forget how difficult the opposition seem to find it in Thomand Park. I just cant see anyone pooping on any party but at the same time, I know I'll be excited for the build up for this one. Its going to be another massive match thats a little too close to call.

I cant decide who I think will win out of Munster & Wasps, all the evidence points to Munster but Wasps seem to have the knack of pulling it out the bag when it really matters. Assuming Munster do win.

Gloucester & London Irish seem to be set to go through as top seeds, which would put them up against the best two runners up. Correct?

Saracens can go through as top seeds but can they win in Glasgow? I'm not certain they can. And I can't see them getting the try bonus point, something which Irish & Gloucester should get.

So, if I'm correct. Irish v Ospreys & Gloucester v either Perpignan or Glasgow.

Which would leave ... Saracens v Cardiff & Munster v Toulouse.

From those ties, I'd say Gloucester are the only team certain to go through.

I also think the way the groups are worked out needs revising. How can Toulouse, Tigers & Leinster be in one group. Let alone Clermont, Wasps, Munster & Scarlets in another.

The group that Irish ended up in is almost a joke. It's challenge cup standard.

from that scenario it's more likely that Munster would be the 6th seeds meaning they'd play Sarries with Cardiff away to Toulouse.

can someone explain to me how the quarter final "draw" works please? (ive never really had in interest in it ;) )

can someone explain to me how the quarter final "draw" works please? (ive never really had in interest in it ;) )
[/b]

I wonder why that is

*whispers Warriors fan* :p

Fairly simple really, the top team from each group qualifies automatically. The final two quarter final places go to the two second placed teams that have scored the highest amount of points out of all the group runners up. Eg if Glasgow get 19,the Ospreys 21,Perpignan 22,Leinster 16 then the Ospreys and Perpignan will go through.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I wonder why that is

Fairly simple really, the top team from each group qualifies automatically. The final two quarter final places go to the two second placed teams that have scored the highest amount of points out of all the group runners up. Eg if Glasgow get 19,the Ospreys 21,Perpignan 22,Leinster 16 then the Ospreys and Perpignan will go through.
[/b][/quote]

And beyond that how does it work? The 4 group winners with the best records get home draws, I assume. The two group winners with the best records play the to best second placed teams. Again I assume. I also assume that if one of the two top ranking group winners (points wise_) also has a team in their group that was one of the best two second placed teams qualify for the KO stage, these two would avoid each other at the first KO phase?

*confused* but I think I'm making sense!

So you guys fancy The Cardiff Blues chances against Bristol? It will be tough but I think when they want it enough the Boys can turn it on, should be exciting. (or maybe the game will be boring but the prospective result is exciting)

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I wonder why that is

[/b][/quote]

And beyond that how does it work? The 4 group winners with the best records get home draws, I assume. The two group winners with the best records play the to best second placed teams. Again I assume. I also assume that if one of the two top ranking group winners (points wise_) also has a team in their group that was one of the best two second placed teams qualify for the KO stage, these two would avoid each other at the first KO phase?

*confused* but I think I'm making sense! [/b][/quote]

the last bit cant be right. I assume the challenge cup works in the same way? cause we had sarries in the pool last year, and agin in the quarters.

So you guys fancy The Cardiff Blues chances against Bristol? It will be tough but I think when they want it enough the Boys can turn it on, should be exciting. (or maybe the game will be boring but the prospective result is exciting)
[/b]

I think the weather will play a major part and I can see Bristol winning what I think will be a very tight game.

Latest posts