• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Scotland - 10/03/2012, 17:00

Oh I had it in my mind that he was already in the squad.

I thought the same, however he wrote this on his twitter account:

"Thanks for the supportive comments! Can't say what I want too as that won't help so...congrats to mike top fella!"

I thought the same, however he wrote this on his twitter account:

"Thanks for the supportive comments! Can't say what I want too as that won't help so...congrats to mike top fella!"
I think it was simply the 2 lads will be in 22 for 2 injuries.

Is it possible for DOC And Ryan to play at 4 and 5 or not? or will McCarthy cover O'Connell's position.

Best is captain for these reasons:
- Guaranteed his place
- Is the next in line of Kidney's 4 leaders (BOD -> POC -> Best -> ROG)
- Has great experience and does a fine job with Ulster as captain

Marshall was never going to get call up as he is still finding his way in to 1st team at Ulster but surprised Tuohy has been overlooked for McCarthy.

To be fair, Marshall is in the Ulster 1st team way more often than O'Leary is in the Munster 1st team these days. For some reason, whether it's Kidney or the IRFU, Ulster players are totally ignored. How can Kidney possibly justify leaving out Tuohy in favour of Mick McCarthy? Makes no sense to me.

I agree re Tuohy but Marshall hasn't got the experience of O'Leary and yes I agree he's probably on better form but still think he has to secure Ulster 9 shirt first.
Also DOC and Ryan have played together plenty of times in past as 4&5

marshall has played more heineken cup rugby than o'leary this year and conor murray hadn't played any when he got his first caps.
also, why do we need experience. were playing scotland and england in nothing matches. there is no reason behind picking o'leary besides nostalgia/munster bias

I agree re Tuohy but Marshall hasn't got the experience of O'Leary and yes I agree he's probably on better form but still think he has to secure Ulster 9 shirt first.
Also DOC and Ryan have played together plenty of times in past as 4&5

Well most of O'Leary's experience centres around him being terrible. Steve Borthwick has experience, but that doesn't mean England are about to call him up.

If the Welsh have taught us anything recently it's that you should be willing to give youth a chance.

I'm not saying Marshall is poor or that but he hasn't earned his spot in starting with Ulster. Murray had and well when starting for Ireland O'Leary had. Let the lad cement his spot in Belfast first like the others

Bad arguement. Murray wouldn't start over Pienaar either. Pick the best players ie. Not Tom O'Leary.

Well we wouldn't sign Pienaar. We developed our own 9's. Simply put Nacewa on his day is better than Kearney at 15. If Marshall perform he'd push Pienaar to 10 for Ulster and just on point I wouldn't swap Pienaar for Murray. Just an opinion

Well we wouldn't sign Pienaar. We developed our own 9's. Simply put Nacewa on his day is better than Kearney at 15. If Marshall perform he'd push Pienaar to 10 for Ulster and just on point I wouldn't swap Pienaar for Murray. Just an opinion

You mean like he has for the last 2 games? If that's your criteria then Marshall has met it very recently. My original point was that if Murray were up at Ulster he more than likely wouldn't have broken into the first team yet, nothing to do with scrum half development (and I don't know what you're talking about there. Sure Munster have brought through their own 9's, but no centres, props or full backs in a long time. You can hardly have a go at Ulster for brining in non-native talent).

More importantly, Marshall has played 23 times this year for Ulster. O'Leary has played 16 times for Munster. Marshall sees more regular rugby and has been playing better. Picking O'Leary is the most conservative call possible. Kidney is just sticking with his favourites again. I can't see how you can think it's the right call.

No but if Marshall is good enough for Ireland then in Heineken Cup big games Pienaar should be pushed to 10. Simple as and yes it may happen then but the same argent could be made form an on form Zebo in for Trimble but let Zebo really earn it like Marshall

No but if Marshall is good enough for Ireland then in Heineken Cup big games Pienaar should be pushed to 10. Simple as and yes it may happen then but the same argent could be made form an on form Zebo in for Trimble but let Zebo really earn it like Marshall

O'Leary isn't pushing Murray for a Heineken Cup starting spot, doesn't that mean he shouldn't be called up? By that logic Isaac Boss is the only other option.

While the Irish seem to be fighting amongst themselves...maybe we can get a sneaky result. ;)

Truth be told I'm not optimistic, despite our improved showing two weeks ago. We still haven't discovered how to be ruhless in killing off other teams.

I'll also be at the match so that gaurantees a leathering and a long evening for me. Also predicting it will be ******* down!

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), 2 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Lee Jones (Edinburgh Rugby) 3 caps, 1 try, 5 points
13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 32 caps, 1 try, 5 points
12 Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors) 33 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
11 Sean Lamont (Scarlets) 63 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 5 caps, 1 try, 2 conversions, 3 penalties, 18 points
9 Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby) 78 caps, 7 tries, 35 points
1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh Rugby) 63 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) 56 caps, 2 tries, 10 points CAPTAIN
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby) 11 caps
4 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 19 caps
5 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester) 37 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 35 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 14 caps
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) 4 caps
Substitutes
16 Scott Lawson (Gloucester) 32 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
17 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 42 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
18 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), 39 caps, 1 try, 5 points
19 Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks) 16 caps
20 Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) 58 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
21 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors) 11 caps, 2 conversions, 2 penalties, 2 drop-goals, 16 points
22 Max Evans (Castres) 26 caps, 3 tries, 15 points

But at the moment Ulster still have their first choice half back pairing available and Marshall has actually in the last couple of games started at nine even though Ulster have Pienarr and Humphreys are still avialable. O'Leary has only been starting for Munster recently because Murray is with Ireland. This is besides the point both players are second choice in their position at each of their province but it is clear that Marshall has been better than TOL. Anyway who would you rather have coming off the bench TOL who would have realistically a negative effect or Marshall who has the pace of play to accelerate the game?

While the Irish seem to be fighting amongst themselves...maybe we can get a sneaky result. ;)

Truth be told I'm not optimistic, despite our improved showing two weeks ago. We still haven't discovered how to be ruhless in killing off other teams.

I'll also be at the match so that gaurantees a leathering and a long evening for me. Also predicting it will be ******* down!

I Wouldn't be that downbeat you beat us in 2010, and pushed us close last year, im expecting a very tough game.

Cross ahead of Murray and Jackson ahead of Weir made me face-palm.

Why would you do that AR? What on earth has Jackson done to merit his inclusion? Annoyed to say the least. <_<

Welsh has also been on decent form, thought his and Rob Harley's inclusion in the training squad were preludes to their incursion in the match squads.

Can't see us winning this. :(

While we're here, Mike McCarthy is also the wrong call.