• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 player ratings? Players with 99

I disagree actually.. His distribution was top notch last year, he had a pass first instinct and was doing a great job on the passing side of things. Then people turned around and started saying that he had lost his edge because he wasn't breaking as many tackles, which i thought was harsh as that was a direct result of him working on making his passing game better.

All in all he is still a destructive runner when he decides to gun it, one on one none of those players you mentioned can bring him down cleanly, the likes of Giteau and Steyn just get dragged along with him until he offloads, have you ever seen him stopped dead in his tracks before? Hes not the kind of player you can just say "oh well Barnes marking him we should be fine then". The whole team has to make an effort to keep an eye on him when he plays and that to me is the mark of a top player.

He should be one of the top All Blacks in terms of ratings, lets be honest here he has the 12 spot sewn up at the moment. If you have a total monopoly over an All Blacks jersey you should be rated at least 86 imo.
That is true - he did seem to be passing more. Though I do think the reason he's the prime 12 is because most of our midfield depth is at 13.

That is true - he did seem to be passing more. Though I do think the reason he's the prime 12 is because most of our midfield depth is at 13.

With Toeava, McAllister and Sonny Bill next year second 5 should be one of the most hotly contested spots. I would also argue that part of the reason we have bad depth in the position at the moment is because potential AB 2nds like Tim Bateman, Tamati Ellison etc leave because they cant get in past Nonu

With Toeava, McAllister and Sonny Bill next year second 5 should be one of the most hotly contested spots. I would also argue that part of the reason we have bad depth in the position at the moment is because potential AB 2nds like Tim Bateman, Tamati Ellison etc leave because they cant get in past Nonu
It thought SBW was a traditional 13?

That's true, I forgot that Ice can cover anywhere in the backline (save for halfback). And it looks like McAlister is regaining his form.

Fourie du preez (south africa & bulls): 94 (Best scrum-half and rugby brain in the world)
Morne Steyn (SA & Bulls): 93 (Broke all records in the S14 this year, he is quick, has huge BMT, best kicking rate, defence and greatest attack in the last 2 years)
Victor matfield (south africa & bulls): 91 (Best lock in the world, he has captained and won the S14 and won 3 out of the last 4 years)
Brian Habana (SA & Stormers): 91
dan carter (new zealand & crusaders): 91 (since he broke his leg he has lost his crown to Morne Steyn as the best fly half)
Francois Steyn (SA, overseas club): 91 (somehow he needs to have the highest ranking for drop goals - phenomenon)
pierre spies (south africa & bulls): 91 (quickest and most athletic 8th man in the world)
Jacques Fourie (SA & Stormer): 90
schalk burger (south africa & stormers): 90
Dewaldt Potgieter( SA & Bull): 89 (future replacement for Schalk Burger)
Jean De Villiers (SA & Stormers): 89 (Best peripheral vision in the game)
Ruan Pienaar (SA & Sharks/Ulster): 89 (Most versatile & gifted player in the SA squad, SH, fly half, wing and fullback) Unfortunate to be playing the the Fourie Du Preez era.
richie mccaw (new zealand & crusaders): 88 (new laws and his age, lack of speed as a loosie have nulified his impact)
john Smit (SA & Sharks): 87 (World Cup winning Captain and most capped captain in Springbok history)

Fourie du preez (south africa & bulls): 94 (Best scrum-half and rugby brain in the world)
Morne Steyn (SA & Bulls): 93 (Broke all records in the S14 this year, he is quick, has huge BMT, best kicking rate, defence and greatest attack in the last 2 years)
Victor matfield (south africa & bulls): 91 (Best lock in the world, he has captained and won the S14 and won 3 out of the last 4 years)
dan carter (new zealand & crusaders): 91 (since he broke his leg he has lost his crown to Morne Steyn as the best fly half)
Francois Steyn (SA, overseas club): 91 (somehow he needs to have the highest ranking for drop goals - phenomenon)
pierre spies (south africa & bulls): 91 (quickest and most athletic 8th man in the world)
Ruan Pienaar (SA & Sharks/Ulster): 89 (Most versatile & gifted player in the SA squad, SH, fly half, wing and fullback) Unfortunate to be playing the the Fourie Du Preez era.
richie mccaw (new zealand & crusaders): 88 (new laws and his age, lack of speed as a loosie have nulified his impact)
john Smit (SA & Sharks): 87 (World Cup winning Captain and most capped captain in Springbok history)
Agree with all but these two. Morney is an EXCELLENT first five no doubt. Possibly has a superior goal-kicking game to that of Dan, but not in the all around game. Dan is head and shoulders above him in terms of running and passing, and organising the team and flow.

Definitely 2nd best.

As per best rugby brain, Carter has it here (which is why he's the best 10).

Otherwise not bad. ;)

I wonder what country your from...

Theres so many obvious over ratings there its untrue

Morne is not as good as Carter. Pretend hes gotton worse all you like but if you've seen him in the past 2 weeks internationally youd know hes still as great an attacking runner as hes ever been and is superior to Steyn in all but kicking accuracy
Habana...Jeez if thats not the biggest one there. Hes only got speed, thats it, hes not even the fastest in the world for god sake. His defensive positioning is always suspect and just generally hes overrated by everyone in the Southern Hemisphere
Francois Steyn. Ye I take back Habana being the biggest overrating there. This takes the biscuit

Ritchie McCaw 88 but Schalk Burger at 90...FMD thats all I can say
lol Pienaar

It thought SBW was a traditional 13?

That's true, I forgot that Ice can cover anywhere in the backline (save for halfback). And it looks like McAlister is regaining his form.

Sonny Bill is a recent convert, he could play whereever. He could well end up on the wing or even a Mauro Bergamasco type utility for the bench, covering the backs and looseforwards

Heinrich Brussow was a phenomenon last year. He got a big injury this year and the laws have changed since last year so I do not think he will be as effective as he was last year! The new laws have also nulified Richie McCaw and Phil Waugh's game plan. The tackler has to release the ball carrier which s great for the attacking teams but not for the scavengers!
I thought his name was Heinrich Brussow?

I wonder what country your from...

Theres so many obvious over ratings there its untrue

Morne is not as good as Carter. Pretend hes gotton worse all you like but if you've seen him in the past 2 weeks internationally youd know hes still as great an attacking runner as hes ever been and is superior to Steyn in all but kicking accuracy
Habana...Jeez if thats not the biggest one there. Hes only got speed, thats it, hes not even the fastest in the world for god sake. His defensive positioning is always suspect and just generally hes overrated by everyone in the Southern Hemisphere
Francois Steyn. Ye I take back Habana being the biggest overrating there. This takes the biscuit

Ritchie McCaw 88 but Schalk Burger at 90...FMD thats all I can say
lol Pienaar

I can tell you that I wish I was South African,
If you watched the same super 14 that I did you would have seen how Schalk Burger ate McCaw for supper. Stormers thrashed Crusaders 40 - 14.
Even Peter Grant played better than Dan Carter. Get your facts straight!
STOP being so patriotic and face the facts.
South Africa have dominated New Zealand in the last 3 years. They have beaten them 4 out of 4 times and twice in New Zealand.
If that does not tell you a story then I don't know!!!!

I can tell you that I wish I was South African,
If you watched the same super 14 that I did you would have seen how Schalk Burger ate McCaw for supper. Stormers thrashed Crusaders 40 - 14.
Even Peter Grant played better than Dan Carter. Get your facts straight!
STOP being so patriotic and face the facts.
South Africa have dominated New Zealand in the last 3 years. They have beaten them 4 out of 4 times and twice in New Zealand.
If that does not tell you a story then I don't know!!!!

This is starting to irritate me. This is not a fact, it's an opinion. Stop pretending that you have some massively superior rugby knowledge because you think South African players are better.

Oh, and South Africa haven't beaten New Zealand four times in a row.

I apologise it was not 4 times in a row but to be exact it is 4 out of 6 that South Africa have beaten New Zealand. Twice in New Zealnd in 2 years!
And South Africa are not chokers like NZ. South Africa have only played four world Cups and they have won 2 out of the four. 1995 (the first) and 2007 (4th appearance).
New Zealand have not won a world cup since 1987 (23 years). Shame!

This is starting to irritate me. This is not a fact, it's an opinion. Stop pretending that you have some massively superior rugby knowledge because you think South African players are better.

Oh, and South Africa haven't beaten New Zealand four times in a row.

Wait, wait, wait. Your stated earlier that you can't base ranking on past achievements and then you try convince us that SA are better than New Zealand as they've won more World Cups in the past? Hmmmm...

Isn't there a tri-nations soon? So we'll find out who's better during that period of time for the SH.
I think the common opinion around people I talk to is that NZ, SA and AUS are better than the NH teams, save for France (depending on which team turns up). Scotland are improving, and were good to watch in the 6N, England are devoid of ideas, Wales and Ireland seem equal or better than England.
And I think those are the main-est teams. Samoa and Argentina and the like could probably be ranked up there.

I think a rough number, and then a variable to fluctuate results. So, say France are 85. They often have awful games, and then swing to world-class the next week. So there should be something that signifies that, so you might be playing a 90+ France, or a 70~ France.

And the fairest way of doing it might be to have an average of the players on the team, much like Fifa's star ratings change depending on the players you have in your squad. (I think Fifa takes into account the whole team, including reserves too)

Oops, got caught up in the discussion, and forgot this was the wrong thread for team rankings. I'll post this in the other thread :)

Last edited:
Wait, wait, wait. Your stated earlier that you can't base ranking on past achievements and then you try convince us that SA are better than New Zealand as they've won more World Cups in the past? Hmmmm...

This is what I said:

"I apologise it was not 4 times in a row but to be exact it is 4 out of 6 that South Africa have beaten New Zealand. Twice in New Zealnd in 2 years"!

Just added the choker label to add substance. Facts are, SA have won 4/6 = 67% vs. NZ and hold all trophis possible!
What trophies do NZ have? Oh, wait. The Bledisloe (N.Z vs. Aus), wow!

Latest posts