• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Argentina - New Zealand (29/09/2012)

I agree completely. I thought Carter was the major difference today. He took the ball to the line a lot more and showed his all round ability. That is what makes him the best first five of his generation.

I think this shows that Argentina still aren't quite there yet. I give them a huge chance to beat an Australian team will all sorts of problems next week. Still though I think they are a couple of years off being on the level of the "big three". I have no doubt that they will get there in a few years. I have loved having Argentina in this tournament. We never get afternoon rugby here in New Zealand so getting a game at midday is excellent.

I agree while cruden is a great backup he's no carter. I still think we will be struggling if we loose him for any extended period of time........ Lets face It SA, Aus in particular and Argentina imo have been far from their best this season hence why we have won the championship at such a canter.

It actually disappoints me alot that we have not been really tested so far this year. I really hope southafrica has turned the corner for this coming match and actually plays some rugby. This AB's team will never be that great unless they are playing opposition that doesnt have issues.

It's not slacking pal, it's lack of experience in organization of Rugby tests of this importance. They'll learn with time.

Wasn't meaning to be rude, but, you're right. they'll learn

I also hope that they are not too downheartened by what happened today. Sometimes you just hit teams on the wrong day, where everything goes right for them, and they punish every mistake you make.

Other SANZAR teams have caught a hiding at times in the Tri-Nations

[TEXTAREA]
NZL 55 - 35 SAF

SAF 61 - 15 AUS

NZL 52 - 16 SAF

NZL 50 - 21 AUS

AUS 49 - 0 SAF

SAF 53 - 8 AUS[/TEXTAREA]

I agree while cruden is a great backup he's no carter. I still think we will be struggling if we loose him for any extended period of time........ Lets face It SA, Aus in particular and Argentina imo have been far from their best this season hence why we have won the championship at such a canter.

It actually disappoints me alot that we have not been really tested so far this year. I really hope southafrica has turned the corner for this coming match and actually plays some rugby. This AB's team will never be that great unless they are playing opposition that doesnt have issues.

2nd test vs Ireland?
Springbok test?

We could have easily lost those two, that's close enough for my likeing

Apparently, no team sheet provided to the Sky broadcasters. Nisbo had to whip downstairs and buy a programme!!

Also, commentators didn't have a referee audio feed.

Slack.... very slack!!

Did you watch the after game interviews? TJ interviewing McCaw while your also hearing Nisbett's feed "Bay of Plenty? What times that? Sunday morning? Okay, yep okay", obviously not realizing he's still on air. Had a bit of a laugh to myself.

Wasn't meaning to be rude, but, you're right. they'll learn

I also hope that they are not too downheartened by what happened today. Sometimes you just hit teams on the wrong day, where everything goes right for them, and they punish every mistake you make.
Yeah, I know the players won't be like that but the average argentinian sportfan doesn't take losing too well, reading some other message boards or user comments in newspapers it's all jokes and bashing of the players right now. To my taste there was too much hype by the press this week about the pumas chances against ABs and many people that doesn't know much about rugby is a bit angry. Luckily this was not the last match and we have, I hope, a good chance to reivindicate (and shut up some ignorant people) next weekend.

2nd test vs Ireland?
Springbok test?

We could have easily lost those two, that's close enough for my likeing

Exactly we could of lost both of those tests to IMO pretty bloody poor opposition. Neither of those teams were at their best.

Exactly we could of lost both of those tests to IMO pretty bloody poor opposition. Neither of those teams were at their best.

You said we haven't been tested? That Ireland game was one of the biggest frights in a long time. It doesn't really matter how good you rate them, they were up for it on the night. The AB's managed to pass the test and get the job done, credit to them. They also smashed them the next week, which probably makes people with goldfish like memories forget the big fright that happened the week before.

Last edited:
You said we haven't been tested? That Ireland game was one of the biggest frights in a long time. It doesn't really matter how good you rate them, they were up for it on the night. The AB's managed to past the test and get the job done, credit to them. They also smashed them the next week, which probably makes people with goldfish like memories forget the big fright that happened the week before.

I agree 100% with where you are coming from with this comment. Too many times I hear ignorant media jocks belittling All Black performances against lesser opposition. No insult meant to he Irish, but the All Blacks really were a class above the team they sent here in June

However, those three tests are a great example of what I mean

1st test: 42-10 (won comfortably - some media response: so they should. Ireland not much of a challenge are they?)
2nd test: 22-19 (won with last second dropped goal - some media response: All Blacks were **** poor letting Ireland get that close)
3rd test: 60-0 (a right royal smacking - some media response: Ireland must have been poor)

Its seems it doesn't matter what the All Blacks do, they can't win with some of the idiots in the media.

I expect those same idiots to be no different after this match. They will start questioning whether or not Argentina deserves to be in this competition, without giving due consideration to the fact that the All Blacks were simply outstanding in this match. IMO, if they played the same way against any other team in the world, with the possible exception of South Africa, the result would have been much the same.

Oh God...
to think we were all saying "yeah, close game for sure, low score blah blah blah"...Passes the freakin century mark on this !...at least Argentina put some points on the board, I suppose...:s
Hmmm...too bad, this might throw them off that "streak" of excellent efforts so far. I'm sure this will taint their confidence for next week's test at home...

Just saw it and that Argentina 1st try was the best I've seen this season so far. Lost count of how many points NZ scored almost immediatley after Argentina knocked it on or had a misplaced pass. So on that basis the score was a bit lopsided.

It seems a laser light was shone at Cruden when he kicked at goal

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7749570/Laser-light-shone-at-Cruden-in-All-Blacks-rout

Unfortunate I guess but I think the crowd were very good during the match. Added real atmosphere and, I believe, respected most kicks at goal.

I thought the crowd was pretty good, but I've got no time for idiots with lasers ... there's a reason that the law treat offenders who point them at planes, cars etc, harshly.

... anyway, that aside, I was saying to the wife, I'd love to be part of the atmoshpere for an ABs match in Argentina

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7749570/Laser-light-shone-at-Cruden-in-All-Blacks-rout

Unfortunate I guess but I think the crowd were very good during the match. Added real atmosphere and, I believe, respected most kicks at goal.

Yeah, I noticed it. It happens ALL the time in football matches against goalkeepers with no punishment whatsoever, but this is the first time I have seen it in Rugby.

Congrats to the All Blacks for this well deserved Rugby Championship! Yesterday performance was amazing, and really fun to watch despite of me rooting for the opposite team. But it's always enjoyable to watch such a good game of rugby.

How come no one is talking about dan carteR! he´s the main difference in this second game. (...)
I agree, I give credit to the whole team for their consistency but I feel Dan was such an influence and made everything ran smoother. He showed once again the brilliant player he is.

Yeah, I know the players won't be like that but the average argentinian sportfan doesn't take losing too well, reading some other message boards or user comments in newspapers it's all jokes and bashing of the players right now. To my taste there was too much hype by the press this week about the pumas chances against ABs and many people that doesn't know much about rugby is a bit angry. Luckily this was not the last match and we have, I hope, a good chance to reivindicate (and shut up some ignorant people) next weekend.
I feel that we shouldn't give much credit to the ignorant comments we read in the internet. Anyone who knows a little about rugby knew that this could happen, that we were lucky to play with such a bad weather in Wellington but that the Pumas are nowhere near the All Black's level. And even if one hoped that the match could be closer, there was always a chance of geting thrashed by them.

Aw, that's sad. I hope they do something to avoid such a shameful behaviour in the future. It's a pity, but overall it seems that the crowd was good. I would have loved to be there.

I don't think any Pumas fan should be disheartened by that game. The ABs when clicking like that, can do that to anyone (SA, AUS, ENG, FRA included). Not to mention that this is their first tournament with teh SANZAR teams, and have already troubled all 3 teams.

It's simply a matter of 'when' not 'if'.

The AB's finally clicked. Just as I predicted. We will conveniently ignore the fact that I've been (wrongly) predicting that the would finally click for the last month ;)

Overall I found this a very entertaining game to watch. In general the forward pack did a very good job, though I thought the tight-forwards were guilty of missing a few too many tackles. This may have been more a fault of the defensive system, rather than the players themselves though. There weren't many standouts in the tight-forwards for me - it was more of a case of everyone doing their own job well. Messam was solid at 6 again, and pulled of a couple of big hits too. His short passing game is very impressive, and I feel that a number of the AB's forwards could learn a lot from him in this area. McCaw was McCaw. If had been any other 7 in the world you may well be raving about his game, but given he has performed like this dozens of times before you tend to take it for granted! In a game dominated by the backs, I felt Read was Man of the Match. I love the way he runs at gaps from such depth - it seems so simple, but I don't know of any player in world rugby that does this as well as him. In addition to his running his defense was superb - he made a number of big hits too, with one leading directly to Savea's 1st try.

Smith was good at halfback, while Carter was superb at first-five. It was great to see him running hard at the line, which really put Argentina's defense in two-minds. Nonu probably had his best game in black this season too, mainly as he was doing one thing - running straight and hard. I thought both our wings were outstanding. In this form Jane is the best outside back in world rugby. For some reason teams haven't seemed to work out that kicking the ball high in his direction isn't a good idea! His 3rd try was a great bit of individual skill, from the anticipation of the intercept, the brilliant handling, to the superb fend and pace to get away from the defense. Savea seems to be growing with every game, and looks right at home at test level. His basic skill-set is actually very impressive, he defended well, and he is a real weapon with ball in hand - I can't see him losing his spot on the left wing anytime soon. I was very happy with Dagg at fullback again. While he didn't standout with ball in hand he was rock solid, which is something you really want from your fullback. His long range punting is a real weapon too - I love the way the AB's sit Carter and Dagg in the pocket on either side of the breakdown in defensive situations, giving them left and right foot kicking options and making it far harder for the opposition to put pressure on the clearing kick.

I was very surprised at the way Argentina played - while it was great to see them play some attacking rugby, you couldn't help but feel if they had played a more negative style of rugby the game would have been a bit closer. They were rewarded with their attacking endeavor with a couple of great tries, and I hope they continue to adopt this more attacking style of rugby, as they are clearly capable of scoring some great tries! I was impressed with the halfback Landajo, Bosch and Amorosino made a couple of great breaks, and I love how Camacho fights for every metre he can get with ball in hand. I do wonder if their tight-five lack a bit of mobility for an expansive game plan, as you could see they were visibly tiring in the last 10-15 minutes of each half. It is going to be interesting to see how Argentina approaches the match versus Australia in the weekend - they are used to entering matches like this as underdogs, but given the depleted nature of the Aussie side they are almost certainly favourites going into this match, which will be a different experience for them.

bugger I think I forgot to dump all my vcash on the AB's before this game like I always do!

pretty good all round performance from the AB's, bit harsh but there were a few lapses in defense. All Blacks don't usually let in two trys. nit picking a bit but Conrad smith was not his usual self on defense - I don't think he's back to 100% yet since his return and I know I'm a Ben Smith fan but maybe some others will back me up when I say he looked better when he came on to replace Conrad. The gaps in that area of the field that the Argies had found just were not there when Ben was on, showed his extra yard of pace a couple of times as well.

Good to see Nonu make a genuine impact again, it's been a while. I think we really need him to fire again against the Springboks next weekend.

Good game from Messam, shame he did not get to run much seemed he was primarily a link man on attack - he does have a good pass both ways, nice pop to Read which ended in a try. Looking for big hits close to the ruck on defense - and he did pull out a lot of those. Not a huge tackle count overall but basically every tackle he made he drove the player back and created chances for the All Blacks to drive over the ball and win possession.

Read & McCaw - brilliant as usual

Dan carter had a pretty good comeback. One thing I notice vs. Cruden is the amount of gain he gets from penalty kicks. Cruden on average was not getting much distance on his kicks to touch from penalties carter easily gets another 15m or so. Over the course of a game it really adds up. I kept thinking when Cruden was playing in previous tests that Maybe Dagg or Ben Smith should be kicking the penalties to touch, they both have a fantastic punt.

Good performance from Savea. A little shakey once trying to tidy up a kick that went his way and his ok at best but he also had some really good touches. This performance will surely secure his position for next week which will be the biggest game of his carrier to date.

Pretty special game from Jane, he has been fairly quiet for a while. Really just doing the basics right before this test but two of his tries were mostly great play from him. Interesting the guys marking him obviously have not done their homework. He basically has the best fend in the business for his size, I think it has a lot to do with his balance - being able to maintain speed when fending - he uses the fend to keep his speed up and drop the speed of defenders. reaching out and going high on Jane is not going to end well for a tackler. just ask the frenchman Medard - Jane has done that to him twise I think.

I was wondering where the All Blacks were. Many are saying that was their best performance this year and I agree. Before this game, the ABs have been okayishly good. They've been winning with a lot of unusual mistakes but now they're back.

Judging from that overall performance of the ABs, Id say they're going undefeated this year.