• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Argentina - New Zealand (29/09/2012)

Well the Gear love is dwindling. The Highlanders are ruining him. I want him back for Wellington where he can remember what it feels like to get the ball with space on the wing. As it is, Savea is playing like a younger (not quite as good yet) version of Gear, which means he'll make more mistakes as well as more magic. Hoping Savea has a blinder, but I can't help but feel the defensive attitude of the Argentine wingers will make it very tricky. At least there will be better weather than in Wellington (ironically I was watching the game in town, where there was nearly no wind or rain - 400m down the road to the stadium it was hell on earth)

Agree regarding Ben Smith. He's got two things going for him - vision in the sense that with space he can find a gap, and solid safe skills. He's actually wasted on the wing, where I don't feel he's as good, with more limited time and no extreme speed. Not to say that he isn't better than say - Zac Guildford. Not apposed to moving Dagg to the wing either - I think if Ben Smith is to play fullback that would be the best move.

Don't think that is quite true. He received far more ball for the Highlanders this season than he ever did for the Canes - while it is true that not all of this ball was in space, he still got more than enough opportunities this season to run with the ball in space (there is a good reason he had far more running metres than any other player in Super Rugby!). When he backed himself he was very effective, but too often I felt he was a bit passive - rather than trying to beat players (which he is certainly capable of) he simply took that tackle. His work-rate this season has been impressive, and I've been very happy with his defensive work (loving the big hits he pulls out now too!) - I do think a couple of weeks with Gordon Tietjens would do him wonders (it certainly did last time!).

Anyways, onto the match in 24 hours or so. I'm hoping we will see the AB's start to click this match, and if we do Argentina better watch out! The AB's have actually played much of their better rugby overseas in recent years, though Argentina will be a very different experience for many of the players. As always it starts up front - Argentina are sure to come out firing, but I'm sure the AB's tight-five will be pretty fired up themselves after being largely outplayed by South Africa in their last test. The Argentina pack have given 100% every week, and I'm starting to wonder how long they can keep this up, as they are starting to fade earlier and earlier in the matches as the tournament has progressed.

If the AB's can get parity or better in the forwards (which I think they will), I expect the backs to be too good for Argentina if the conditions are good (haven't seen the forecast yet though). As I've mentioned before, I believe the current AB's backline is well suited to exploiting Argentina's narrow defensive line, and as such I would expect the AB's to score a few tries out wide. Though I certainly wouldn't rule out a close match, I just have a feeling the AB's will win this match quite comfortably, by around 20 points.

Last edited:
I think what Nick was meaning was stuff like, When Gear played for the Canes, whenever he got his hands on the ball it was like "Danger time, hes gonna bump off a few and be a handful to stop" he always beat the defender one on one. Then at the Highlanders he wasn't much of a threat and rarely beat the first defender.

At least you get to watch it live! I've gotta record it and watch it at work :p I'd rather get up at 4, frankly. That's what all the SA game times are here.

Los Pumas in the day before the game

398179_298724033549630_407071313_n.jpg

387547_10151096971507695_1968497622_n.jpg

199439_10151096971612695_816467922_n.jpg

406413_10151096971152695_445694149_n.jpg

527648_10151096971697695_256080360_n.jpg

229397_10151096971407695_175746765_n.jpg

for some odd reason I doubt that first picture is the day before the game, simply because it's a packed crowd with people still arriving and its at night :p

At least you get to watch it live! I've gotta record it and watch it at work :p I'd rather get up at 4, frankly. That's what all the SA game times are here.

Being played at 5pm here :) ... I'm just pleased I can watch the ABs at a reasonable time for ONCE!

Sucks for you but its a much better time for the majority of NZers

Two hours until kick-off. Decided to stay up and watch the match. I really hope Argentina can, if not beat New Zealand, keep the scoreline to less than 5 points.

30 mins to go now. 11.40 am here in NZ - it is going to be a bit weird having a beer and watching rugby at noon on Sunday.

The Supersport studio pundits sound so tired, poor lads.

I think they could put some more people on the touchline if they wanted...

...And the singer messed up GDNZ, but better than whoever sang the Saffa one last month.

Last edited:
I am ready for it! A midnight rugby match. This is something different. I watch hockey (NHL) at this time regularly but rugby is usually 7 AM as the earliest for me.

Looking forward to this.
Guarantee I'll fall asleep before the end though (working early morning shifts and then playing rugby afterwards = knackered :lol: )

Looks a good crowd!

The ugliest player in professional rugby is coming on as a blood bin sub, Brodie Retallick

Latest posts