• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

I got tackled into my own in goal from the field of play, ball was touched down and i got a drop out. Should have been a 5m scrum. Is there a way i can replay it to make sure?

We experienced the same, its like being held up I haven't seen it happen yet..

Has anyone noticed you can control the scrum half at the scrum using the left analogue stick?
Yes but you have to change controlled player first I think. I noticed this when none of my defensive line were moving up but the scrum half was already well past the opposition scrum. :p

I tend not to contribute to these threads or on Sidhe, i prefer to read and wait to judge. The naysayers of this game have, well...naysayed(?) and every other person has told me to wait until the demo, so i have and just got home from work and played this on the PS3...underwhelmed.

It does have some good features, i like the ruck, even if it is the same as 08, but with a bar. However I am sure this will change with harder settings. Sadly, dressing it up doesn't change the fact that it is a cheap repackage. Every animation and move (even the defensive settings are the same with the D Pad) is 08. The thought of 6 other licenses only, for a World Cup game is also a bit of a put off.

I'm not going to write that RC will be amazing, because pretty pictures and videos don't amount to a computer game, and for some reason the non-committal on a release date is discerning. Their campaign though has carried some weight as they have listened and clearly giving rugby fans a game with some longevity/options.

I do feel for HB and the people of TRF, clearly rugby gaming fans are a passionate bunch, and the pettiness of these forums is amazing!! However, this vitriol is not completely undeserved, people aren't stupid, they have seen this game as what it is - a repackage of something 4 years ago with a bit more glitter on it. It's a shame, as me and everybody else here was looking forward to something good.

One other bug bear to get of my chest, if you're worrying about mauls in a rugby game, you're the people who play FIFA/PRO with 5 in Defence and 2 in Defensive Midfield, run with the ball!

Really enjoyed it. Helps that I haven't had a rugby game since 2005. Still all I care about that it was fun chip kick is a great feature.

One disappointment I was hoping for a mode where Haskells jaw grows to the size of the front of a snow plough.

Hape, Palmer and Moody are all freakishly good.

Interesting little something that I've just seen is from my restart (as Eng) I dive tackled the SA player waiting on the ball coming out of the sky and a penatly for a dangerous tackle was given against me - nice.

I've been trying to test the bug/rule inconsistency with running or passing the ball out over my own endgoal line (throwing a pass out is a task in itself), but so far I've only seen a scrum 5 given to the opposing team, no 22 dropouts so far.

Just got awarded a penalty try !!! Nice touch. England player prevent release on the goaline.

Interesting little something that I've just seen is from my restart (as Eng) I dive tackled the SA player waiting on the ball coming out of the sky and a penatly for a dangerous tackle was given against me - nice.

I've been trying to test the bug/rule inconsistency with running or passing the ball out over my own endgoal line (throwing a pass out is a task in itself), but so far I've only seen a scrum 5 given to the opposing team, no 22 dropouts so far.

ya i got this loads. i seem unable to attempt to recover my own kick off (unless the ball bounces) without accidently tackling a SA player.
also, SA keeps blatently high/dangerously tackling my players with not a single call against it from the ref, for the tackle or the knock on.

ya i got this loads. i seem unable to attempt to recover my own kick off (unless the ball bounces) without accidently tackling a SA player.
also, SA keeps blatently high/dangerously tackling my players with not a single call against it from the ref, for the tackle or the knock on.

I have had the referee ping the opposing team a couple of times for high tackles on me ...but we don't seem to be able to do that move ourselves any more??? Or at least I've not been able to - AJ or Glenn (or anyone else who has been able to do it) care to confirm if deliberate high/late/dangerous tackles via a button press have been removed from the game?

I've had South Africa commit a couple of penalties for high tackle so it's definately there but it has also gone unpunished the odd time so it's not a 100% success rate

I am gutted that preety much everyone whos played the demo hates it, go on the Rugby World Cup facebook page and try to find a positive comment.
Yea i agree, it is like Rugby08 on steroids, and gameplay is very VERY similar to 08 with very little changes, but it's not that bad, im enjoying it.

Just want to note,

if you take a quick tap and the opposite team don't retreat 10m, you don't get advantage.
You cant pass to a different player off a quick lineout.
The dive tackling is a mimic of 08 and it is so unrealistic
The backs moves are a mimic of 08 and a preety crap tbh.

Other than that im enjoying :) lol

I have had the referee ping the opposing team a couple of times for high tackles on me ...but we don't seem to be able to do that move ourselves any more??? Or at least I've not been able to - AJ or Glenn (or anyone else who has been able to do it) care to confirm if deliberate high/late/dangerous tackles via a button press have been removed from the game?

I managed to do one with Foden, withour really meaning too. My hand slipped when a SA player made a break, and as I fumbled the controler I did one. Might have been somethin to do with the right bumper?

When I went to score a try my player dived too far and went of dead ball line, maybe Glen/alistar could fix this so you don't dive when in a certain part of try line

Worst part is if you break the line your AI loses speed and will not run in support. Have to practically run backwards!!!! Even if they are right on your shoulder they just lose all their speed, hu? Not to mention the graphics make my eyes bleed!! Very weak presentation on the whole. Seriously the players neck the whole game for cut scenes!! Hell you don't have to worry about NZ or Oz not being licensed, as hell all teams are not licensed as you never see their faces. Lets not even talk about the frame rate which is an almighty mess!!

The game play is decent and feels smoother but also more clunky for some strange reason.

Hope that RC pulls through on the game play.