• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

the only thing that may convince me to buy this game is the chip and chase when tapping 'b' or 'square'. its really fast much faster than the up and under in 08, making it more possible and realistic to do. the problem is not being able to play as all blacks or wallabies which are my two favorite teams so i cant use it with dan carter etc. , and the player editor doesnt edit faces and headgear right?....anyways im liking the chip and chase

Can anyone actually recover the chip kick in one go? I can't seem to catch it while moving i always seem to over run it and then the ball suctions to me while iv magically stopped.

Lineouts are a bit of a disaster with the tail jumper. The AI calls the tail jumper and can get into a offside position and not be pinged for it really annoying.

I love the return to the old drop goal mechanic but the only problem iv had with it is that there seems to be no penalty for running and doing a drop goal, you still remain as accurate while standing still.

It is pretty awesome taking a quick lineout and scoring from a drop goal though :)

Please try and keep on topic guys, there are specific threads/sections of the forum for discussing Rugby Challenge/it's videos

when i pressed 'x' to dive for the line it just kicked the ball right out the park, this is really annoying:mad:

when i pressed 'x' to dive for the line it just kicked the ball right out the park, this is really annoying:mad:

You pressed too early maybe?

Not seen this myself or heard it reported before now.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest here people...all this game is is a slightly improved rugby 08, which was terrible! I have been waiting for a rugby game on the 360 for as long as the rest of you and this doesnt shape up! If the demo is anything to go by Sidhe are getting my money....not having club rugby and a franchise mode is a serious limiter...HB studios..back to the drawing board!

I have also dived over the dead ball line and at one point I carried the ball over my own goal line as the player dived on the ball and I got a 22 drop out instead of there being a 5m scrum.
One thing that still seems to be there from 08 unfortunately is if a short restart is performed, a team mate will often tackle the opposition player in the air automatically, resulting in penalty advantage to the opposition.

Really looking forward to playing this game on the higher difficulty levels. Elite in 08 was probably similar to easy in this game, though easy in this is definitely better in attack.
I'm finding a bit more variety in the tries I'm scoring too. Got a lovely try with Foden at one point as he hit the line from about 10m out and I sort of angled his run the second he got the ball... Miles Harrison liked it anyways :)

There don't really seem to be the straightfoward two on ones with the full back after you break the line anymore, as the opposition AI cover the nearest man better. The more I play the demo, the more I appreciate the little tweaks and improvements too.

At the end of the day, the people who are debating this game online are a small percentage of the market and I think that this game has the potential to do quite well. Most people who buy this game will be casual gamers who may not know a huge amount about the rugby and this game is definitely fun and has a nice flow to it.

Gotta be honest here people...all this game is is a slightly improved rugby 08, which was terrible! I have been waiting for a rugby game on the 360 for as long as the rest of you and this doesnt shape up! If the demo is anything to go by Sidhe are getting my money....not having club rugby and a franchise mode is a serious limiter...HB studios..back to the drawing board!
Rugby 08 was not terrible at all. Like has been said before, if you play proper rugby then the game is great rather than SH all the way to winger every play. I myself am really enjoying it and I honestly don't know what everyone is yapping about.

I have also dived over the dead ball line and at one point I carried the ball over my own goal line as the player dived on the ball and I got a 22 drop out instead of there being a 5m scrum.
One thing that still seems to be there from 08 unfortunately is if a short restart is performed, a team mate will often tackle the opposition player in the air automatically, resulting in penalty advantage to the opposition.

Really looking forward to playing this game on the higher difficulty levels. Elite in 08 was probably similar to easy in this game, though easy in this is definitely better in attack.
I'm finding a bit more variety in the tries I'm scoring too. Got a lovely try with Foden at one point as he hit the line from about 10m out and I sort of angled his run the second he got the ball... Miles Harrison liked it anyways :)

There don't really seem to be the straightfoward two on ones with the full back after you break the line anymore, as the opposition AI cover the nearest man better. The more I play the demo, the more I appreciate the little tweaks and improvements too.

At the end of the day, the people who are debating this game online are a small percentage of the market and I think that this game has the potential to do quite well. Most people who buy this game will be casual gamers who may not know a huge amount about the rugby and this game is definitely fun and has a nice flow to it.

Fully agree with you on all the points

I think the people who buy this will be suckers who are so hard up for a rugby game they pay for anything

Got to say I've really enjoy the game so far. Yes, as many have pointed out it is similar to Rugby 08, but I can see improvements which will make me happy enough to buy the full game in a months time.

I'm also sure the game will develop more against medium/Hard Difficulty levels.

One of the key fun parts to the game is being able to utilise the forwards alot more, which I'm guessing may be more important at the higher difficulty settings.

You know what, I really ****ing like it. I also ****ing love Rugby 06 and Rugby 08. A HD version of that with a few tweaks is perfect for me. At the end of the day I never expected miracles. I didn't expect it to blow the whole world away and win GOTY. It's very polished, looks great, the controls are smooth. Attacking with the ball is brilliant and I love kicking now (seems more responsive and quicker, got a nice chip kick away earlier when one on one with the fullback, Habana picked it up and scored).
I like the new ruck system, line-outs work well, controls are smooth and as perfect as ever and all in all I really, really like it.

The whole game has a nice flow to it and if I'm being honest it's better than I expected. Will Rugby Challenge be better? **** knows. I heard the controls are a little fiddly but I won't know until I play it. And I think the fact that we have two competing Rugby games out there is only a good thing. I just prey and hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for another batch of Rugby games.

The game is well... An improvement I guess, but not really... Pitch looks even worse. Commentary is absolutely brilliant! The French is perfect, I love Sella in a manly way. Those superman tackles are still there and those same animations for a clothes line tackle that didn't result in a penalty which is bullshit... The rucks are just button mashing which is annoying and the grubbers aren't particularly useful. Forwards get demolished with some big tackles that aren't very realistic all the time and overall just not up there in terms of gameplay. Graphics are pretty bad but the presentation is nice with the score board and try scorers and such... The thing RWC 2011 has over RC is the sound by a mile, RC has poor commentary. One thing though is that if this is supposed to be in Auckland, why was swing low sweet chariot being sung by fans???

Last edited: