• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

France were brilliant, they got all the basics right. The kicking game was good, along with their lineout and scrum and they absolutely battered the All Blacks for the entirety of the second half. New Zealand can consider themselves very lucky they won this game but credit to them for their defensive display and overall in the whole tournament - deservedly winning this year's World Cup. My respect has sky rocketed for France though after that. I never thought I would be saying that after the Wales game.

How many medals do they have made up?
I thought as soon as you were swapped out of the squad you were no longer part of it - wonder if they had to start knocking up a load more winners medals when players started going down injured

Well I think some shops have started selling chocolate coins now :p

How many medals do they have made up?
I thought as soon as you were swapped out of the squad you were no longer part of it - wonder if they had to start knocking up a load more winners medals when players started going down injured

I guess not... It'd be a bit stupid giving Hosea Gear a medal and not Carter etc...

I suppose they're still part of the team.

I'm afraid that Joubert did affect the outcome. He failed to penalise the all-blacks for illegal rucking on their own 10 metre line at 68 minutes. France might have scored the penalty goal, making the score 10-8.

Absolutely, he affected the outcome. If he had noticed that Rougerie was 2m offside when he kicked the ball out of the ruck that led to Dusutior's try, the try would not have been scored.

The Laws clearly state that you must be BOUND into a ruck before you can play the ball with your feet. Walking around the outside and kicking the ball out is illegal.

I have to admit it felt like the French team were starting to strangle the AB's in the 2nd half, it definitely seemed like the AB's were getting nervous and choking up.

The teams seemed very evenly matched in the first 20 minutes, but Weepu missing those 8 points seemed to inspire France.

It must have felt to the French like it was fate, they were getting stronger and stronger.
France were very dominant in the forward battle in the second half, but the AB's were determined their defensive line wouldn't be breached.

I feel like those missed goals had a huge outcome on the way the AB's played. At 13-0 up we might have played with a bit more confidence.
As good as Weepu was leading up to the Final, he was terrible in the game that mattered the most.

I think his point is that the referees bad decisions affected both teams fairly evenly - it wasn't one sided.

I want to repeat a statement I've uttered a few times: why didn't France start the tournament with Harinordoquy?! I've liked him in the past when I've watched him in the six nations, and was incredibly confused to see him on the bench for Picamoles at the start of the tournament. But since reclaiming the no.8 jersey, the guy has been amazing - in my opinion, one of the stand-out players of the tournament. Even when France played bad, he has played very well. Him and Dusautoir have carried the French team this far, and were instrumental in this last match too. On the other hand, I wasn't impressed with Nonu. He didn't straighten up the runs like he did at the start of the tournament and the whole team stood a little too flat which gave him little chance to create momentum in his runs. As it turns out, I think the match would have been more suited to SBW, who I think can play a flatter game.

Don't think it really matters now though. NZ winning the WC - no gripes because it's been a long time coming!

BTW, credit to France and I guess I have to eat my words. I thought it wasn't going to be a contest. They played much better in this match than they have in any other match this tournament - what a performance. And I said I wasn't going to cheer for France because I didn't think they deserved it on the basis of what's happened earlier in the tournament, but it wasn't too long before they won me over again. I was screaming for France to score that try.

Last edited:
France were brilliant, they got all the basics right. The kicking game was good, along with their lineout and scrum and they absolutely battered the All Blacks for the entirety of the second half. New Zealand can consider themselves very lucky they won this game but credit to them for their defensive display and overall in the whole tournament - deservedly winning this year's World Cup. My respect has sky rocketed for France though after that. I never thought I would be saying that after the Wales game.
Nice to hear from a welsh suporter :)

Nice to hear from a welsh suporter :)

Hard to not have respect for France after this match, similair to 07 really in the fact that the players took charge and got to the final. They really stepped up today and got themself into a position where they should've won the RWC final.

I was supporting France :eek:, now that's not something you'll see ever again. :p

Hard to not have respect for France after this match, similair to 07 really in the fact that the players took charge and got to the final. They really stepped up today and got themself into a position where they should've won the RWC final.

I was supporting France :eek:, now that's not something you'll see ever again. :p
Abit like me supporting england in 03 :p

I think we should watch a replay before we dissect every call that was made.

Our forwards were going backwards when Donald came on. He was a calm influence that won us the match. His defence was easily the best out of the NZers. It was a defensive effort that got us home, and Donald was the one making all the big defensive plays.

Aye, so that's why he rushed out of defence leaving a gaping hole for Dusautoir?

Good game by France. I would have felt akward had we won it. We got into the final by chance... it wouldn't have been the best team lifting the cup.
Anyway, I think it is a good outcome. France claimed the respect back from the rugby fans all over. We french fans can blame the referee, McCaw or Yachvili's kicking fitness and feel good with ourselves. But, most importantly, the best team of the last 4 years and of the tournament is now world champion. Congratulations to the All Black for a deserved World Cup win.

Aye, so that's why he rushed out of defence leaving a gaping hole for Dusautoir?

He did a lot of work on defence, he would have had close to the highest tackle count and he came on in about the 35th minute.
Donald was all over the park on defence.

The Dusautoir try was not solely his fault, even if he didn't rush up they probably would have scored in all honesty. He was about a half a second too slow to stop that play. Nonu could have moved a bit quicker to cover Dusautoir.

If it wasn't for Weepu's little tap with his boot, we wouldn't have been struggling on defence

Latest posts