• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

New Zealand won, France lost—both teams finish with pride knowing that they gave everything on that field. That's about it. France may not have won, but they return home with the rest of the rugby world knowing more than ever before that they can turn it on with passion and that, soon enough, the big prize will be theirs.

well the way I saw the game was that France were out of it... but the 1 mistake from the AB brought them back into the game... that mistake from Weepu and Nonu....

that mistake led to the French try... it was an unforced error... they brought the pressure onto themselves... then when France scored..they started to believe and the AB started to doubt themselves... why they didn't want to run the ball I don't know :? maybe afraid of loosing it... if you don't have the ball you can't make mistakes right??? a bit dumb...

The AB defence won them the game, but they brought it onto themselves.... man the guys were nervous.... even after the game..the AB were still nervous....

Poor Weepu prob blew his chances for World Player as that performance...

i think the french Captain is going to get the ***le... or Maybe Kaino... and Nonu with a slight chance...

I think you don't give France enough credit for applying pressure themselves to be quite honest. I do agree that the All Blacks looked nervous in the second half, but they got it done. Both teams played well and I'm happy with the result. All due to respect to New Zealand.

I honestly think Thierry Dusautoir should be player of the year as he's been fantastic all year. I also believe that Harinordoquy should have been on that short list. Despite the loss, I believe he was the best player in the final.

Allez les Bleus!

Well. All Blacks are champion again. Wahaay.

Now to be honest:

We won the World Cup and I'm stoked about that. I was in a popular pub (especially amongst uni students) called Hotel Bristol, I got ahold of the couch in the best position to the big screen at around 4pm and saved them for some mates who came at 6pm. It was brillaint because it was the best seats and so many people had to stand (or sit on the floor) so it was worth the wait. The 80 minutes of game time I've never felt anything like it. Hundreds squeezed into the pub, with it eventually being closed off, singing loudly the national anthem, cheering etc. It was really electric. Afterwards, the streets in town had tens of thousands of people (probably upwards for 60 thousand drinking and celebrating. The roads weren't closed off, but that didn't stop the masses celebrating there. In Auckland it must have been mental, because in Wellington it was fanatic.

As for the game. Pleased we won, pleased it was exciting, but honestly it was a poor advertisement for the game. If we played a running game, there is no reason why we wouldn't have scored more points. As it so happens we played like Australia and France did in the semi's and just kicked the ball back to them continiously. It made no sense. It was pretty much like a game of force back and considering we have lamented England and South Africa from playing boring kicking-based rugby, it just seems weird. If anyone told me we'd have scored 8 points to win the final with Woodcock the only try scorer and Stephen Donald scoring the winning penalty, I would have thought it was a joke.

On a side note the last two names don't really seem to fit..Fox, Lynagh, Stransky, Larkham, Wilkinson, James, Donald. I guess you can win World Cup finals with out world class 1st 5/8ths. Gotta hand it to Donald, everyone in the pub were pulling their hair and biting their nails when Cruden went down, but it's great to see Donald get a bit of redemption as there doesn't seem to be a nicer and more hard working guy out there. I admit I went mental when he literally ran it out while on attack, not being held, and then threw it back in after he'd taken two steps past the touch line, but I guess if he didn't we wouldn't really believe it was him.

As for France, amazingly played. People all around NZ say that with the way that they played, they probably should have won. Don't blame Kaplan, he did pretty well in honesty and I can recall some offside calls missed against France. Some people in NZ were hoping the other, more lackluster France side would turn up and lose by 40 points, but they certainly didn't, in fact they seemed more ready for the match than NZ. I think if France get consistant selections with a new coach (why they've named Philippe Saint-André coach I have no idea) then they could expect to be in the finals for the next RWC.

It's quite rare to read such a wise comment the day after a WC final especially when it comes from a sore winner.

Chapeau bas !

(adding to Iceman/M21 discussion above)

If you blame NZ's try on "one silly mistake". Why can't France blame their try on "one silly defensive mistake". The mistake being not prepared to be blocked by NZ players in front of the ball.

I don't mean to start a sh*tfight, I'm just switching around some of the logic above. The NZ try was borderline obstruction and it could be debated all day, I personally don't care, they executed it well and were always going to score off that line out or the phases following it.

To be fair, Butch James was our fly half, but he didn't do the kicking as we had sharpshooter Percy

You probably mean Joubert??

****, of course I did. All you South Africans look the same to me :p

Of course it was Joubert. I hate Kaplan and love Joubert.

I think you don't give France enough credit for applying pressure themselves to be quite honest. I do agree that the All Blacks looked nervous in the second half, but they got it done. Both teams played well and I'm happy with the result. All due to respect to New Zealand.

I honestly think Thierry Dusautoir should be player of the year as he's been fantastic all year. I also believe that Harinordoquy should have been on that short list. Despite the loss, I believe he was the best player in the final.

Allez les Bleus!

pressure??? the French had no pressure... that is why they could perform, they were the underdogs and had nothing to lose... the AB had all the pressure... 1st team in the world, favourites, Host etc etc

(adding to Iceman/M21 discussion above)

If you blame NZ's try on "one silly mistake". Why can't France blame their try on "one silly defensive mistake". The mistake being not prepared to be blocked by NZ players in front of the ball.

I don't mean to start a sh*tfight, I'm just switching around some of the logic above. The NZ try was borderline obstruction and it could be debated all day, I personally don't care, they executed it well and were always going to score off that line out or the phases following it.

I think the difference is that the ABs try came from a set piece move 5m out from the French line - a bit different to pouncing on a stupid chip thing from Weepu. I'm not saying anything should be taken away from the French try - making something out of nothing is obviously an important part of the game.

I think the difference is that the ABs try came from a set piece move 5m out from the French line - a bit different to pouncing on a stupid chip thing from Weepu. I'm not saying anything should be taken away from the French try - making something out of nothing is obviously an important part of the game.

Yea, there is definitely a difference. But the try can only be attributed to Weepu's kick to an extent, there were multiple phases after that where NZ missed many tackles. And on the final phase before the try NZ's defence structure failed because someone came out of the line, and the French saw this and exploited it well.

Anyway, at the end of the day I reckon it all evens out. Both tries had some luck/dodgeyness in them. Which is the only way you could score against either of these two brilliant defence's.

So.. Did Joubert get his winners Medal for that great match winning performance?

My gosh. He just refused to penalize NZ within their own 22. He seemed to be all over French infringements yet seemed to look over any NZ ruck infringements by the NZ team.

Also.. Why did he REFUSE to stop the game when Parra was injured... TWICE.. But was very quick to stop the game when Cruden was injured? Honestly the inherent biased decisions he made have taken the win off the NZ accomplishment.

If it had been a 20 point hiding there would be no excuse.. NZ RWC champs..... Hmph.. Perhaps.

so.. did joubert get his winners medal for that great match winning performance?

my gosh. He just refused to penalize nz within their own 22. He seemed to be all over french infringements yet seemed to look over any nz ruck infringements by the nz team.

Also.. Why did he refuse to stop the game when parra was injured... Twice.. But was very quick to stop the game when cruden was injured? Honestly the inherent biased decisions he made have taken the win off the nz accomplishment.

If it had been a 20 point hiding there would be no excuse.. Nz rwc champs..... Hmph.. Perhaps.

gtfo

Cruden had the ball. Parra was down in backplay.

And that makes it all right then?

Parra tackled a player with the ball and got injured in the ruck... Play continued for a VERY long time with Parra and Medical officers on the field.. And he still refused to blow the whistle. Even when the play got close to them.

Last edited:
Stop putting words into people's mouths. Refs don't usually stop the game unless they have to.

The ball carrier getting injured is pretty obvious and interferes with play more often than not. Injured tacklers are usually out of the picture and the ref wont notice them most of the time.

Joubert was acting normally. There is no conspiracy. Feel free to have the last word because I'm not wasting time on this nonsense again.

As for the game. Pleased we won, pleased it was exciting, but honestly it was a poor advertisement for the game. If we played a running game, there is no reason why we wouldn't have scored more points. As it so happens we played like Australia and France did in the semi's and just kicked the ball back to them continiously. It made no sense. It was pretty much like a game of force back and considering we have lamented England and South Africa from playing boring kicking-based rugby, it just seems weird. If anyone told me we'd have scored 8 points to win the final with Woodcock the only try scorer and Stephen Donald scoring the winning penalty, I would have thought it was a joke.

I think that they just could not play this expensive game yesterday. The French Defense was too good to try to take risks (as the AB defense was massive as well on the french attacks). Nonu and all the AB back line could not pass the frenchies, that is why they ended kicking a lot. And overall none of the 2 team wanted to lost his composure and stayed a lot focused on doing a good defensive job. It is not sexy but I do not think another match was possible with 2 teams neutralizing each other so well.

I don't care about any conspiracies but I also thought Joubert should have stopped play for injury at one time; I remember a Frenchman was down and play was being continued and the downed player and medical staff were in the middle of play! Very dangerous and a definate influence on the game IMO. IE Joubert should have stopped play.

TBH I don't think Joubert had his best game to date but won't go as far as saying he intentionally favored NZ. That said, I do think that at some level the occasion and context with the resultant pressure got to him as there were a few missed high tackles and some inconsistent blowing. That said, the home team generally gets the 50/50 calls go their way so I wouldn't say it was a farce or that NZ didn't deserve their win. All in all I think Joubert's performance on the night was one of the better ones in the play-offs which is a scary thought LOL. At the end of the day NZ won the ***le and are deserving holders. Congrats, guys.

Last edited:
I hear people mention high tackles a lot - where were these?

The only time I remember a situation when someone could THINK a high tackle may have occurred was when a French player ducked down into a tackle of Dagg's, but that wasn't a high tackle.

What were the other instances?

I love the people having a cry about Joubert. It's pathetic. There was one point where Harinordoquy was on the ground at the opposition side of the ruck, wasn't the tackler and he just played the ball on the ground from a mile offside to pass it (from the ground) to his team. There is no way it was general play because a ruck had totally formed. Regardless, you take the odd mistake in your stride. No way he influenced the game, the All Blacks didn't give away many penalties the same was France didn't give away penalties in the semi, through defense and little pressure at the rucks. If you look, Cruden had the ball when he was injured and the advantage goes to the attacking team. Parra got injured while trying to tackle Nonu and a stray knee from McCaw while he was clearing out the ruck, the attacking team still had the advantage. I'm sure if Joubert saw him he'd have stopped it, but he was busy looking at the next few breakdowns to focus on one player down in action.

Some people are just so petty.

Is someone able to say me why the're no replay of the kicks on the final. TV have others camera angle in all the others matchs ?

Is someone able to say me why the're no replay of the kicks on the final. TV have others camera angle in all the others matchs ?

Because it's a big conspiracy, the French kick went over and the NZ one missed so they can't replay them... :rolleyes:

Its nice that the best team in the world is also the winner of the World Cup for once. I've always said I'd rather the AB's were always winning games and ranked number 1 than be crap but have had won the WC a couple of times. It is nice to shut the people up that bag us for being chokers etc. We were on our 4th number 10 and we still won so no doubting we are the best team in the world and have been for a while. Hopefully we can continue our inter-world cup domination.

Latest posts