• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

My previous posts would be considered "opinions" just as Don's. We may not agree, but I respect his and I'm sure he respects mine. One look at your reputation meter and you may want to reconsider yours.
This is what you said:
One thing I noticed is how France didn't seem to care about their semi final match as much as New Zealand did. Australia were garbage in their semi final match and yet the All Blacks couldn't manage even more than they did and looked like garbage themselves for much of the second half. In honesty, I fell asleep the first time watching it and had to watch a replay just a few hours ago to make sure I didn't miss anything importantâ€"what a waste of time that was. If France turn up with their heads on straight, they will likely lift their first world cup.
Well if you think that the All Blacks were garbage at any point then no, I don't respect your opinion. The All Blacks were almost unplayable in that match from start to finish.

Some people have said Gear in for SBW on the bench, I'll be so happy if that's the case.

SBW is a very good player, but he's not an outside back and Ma'a Nonu should not replaced.

Gear plays the kind of game that is always effective against NH teams. Him off the bench would be brilliant. The other thing is that SBW can wear his RWC medal with pride, he's been involved in important games. Hosea Gear hasn't had the oppertunities he'd have hoped for, and I think he's one players who's truly earned a spot. The fact that he's resigned for this year, thinking he wouldn't be in a RWC, and SBW hasn't yet resigned knowing he was in the RWC, says a heck of a lot about Gears character, being in his prime.

Who replaces Nonu in the 2nd minute when he gets injured haha? Stephen Donald?

Suppose Kahui would do the damage just thinking bout it.

Who replaces Nonu in the 2nd minute when he gets injured haha? Stephen Donald?

Suppose Kahui would do the damage just thinking bout it.

Gear isn't a genuine bench option for this very reason. If the selectors opt not to use SBW on the bench, I'm sure Toeava would be in the 22 jersey. It is not as though Hosea Gear's form has been that compelling in any case - he's been solid all season, but has hardly displayed the form that had many rating him as the best wing in the world at the end of last season.

Gear isn't a genuine bench option for this very reason. If the selectors opt not to use SBW on the bench, I'm sure Toeava would be in the 22 jersey. It is not as though Hosea Gear's form has been that compelling in any case - he's been solid all season, but has hardly displayed the form that had many rating him as the best wing in the world at the end of last season.

Gear struggled for opportunities on the wing for the poorly managed Hurricanes. Surely Jane, Nonu, Smith and Cruden have shown that in the case of the Hurricanes, Super rugby form should be secondary to form showed in a black jersey, in which Gear should get a run.
If there is any position on the field that deserves leyway for not standing out in a struggling team, it has to be wingers.

Kahui can cover the midfield from the wing, Gear should be on the bench. Toeava has been very average and his best performances this season have been at 15, a spot which Dagg owns completely.

In fairness you have Kahui who can play centre, Jane who can play on the wing, it's not like they're short of options in utility. Waiting till Gear plays for the Highlanders for you to come around :p

In fairness you have Kahui who can play centre, Jane who can play on the wing, it's not like they're short of options in utility. Waiting till Gear plays for the Highlanders for you to come around :p

How much has Kahui played at 12 though? (I suppose the same question can be asked about SBW's experience on the wing!)
It is often much better to have a utility player on the bench, rather than relying on the utility of players on the field. It means that when you bring on the sub he can seamlessly slot into the lineup without the need to rearranging the team (which can be quite a disruption). That is the main reason I favour having Toeava on the bench - if anyone from 12-15 gets injured he comes in to take their spot, with the rest of the backline remaining the same.

I will watch Gear closely at the Highlanders - I'm sure he will be a big asset. However if he continues to have a below average work-rate and struggle on defense I will still point these things out :p

Gear struggled for opportunities on the wing for the poorly managed Hurricanes. Surely Jane, Nonu, Smith and Cruden have shown that in the case of the Hurricanes, Super rugby form should be secondary to form showed in a black jersey, in which Gear should get a run.

Gear's performances were obviously hindered the Hurricanes environment, but he did get a couple of chances with the AB's this season, and failed to take these chances. He wasn't poor, but he certainly didn't take his chances as someone like Cory Jane did. He can't have been far away from the initial 30-man squad, but given that he's had no involvement thus far I'd imagine he will be behind SBW, Toeava, and even Guildford in terms of AB's bench options.

Last edited:
If France turn up with their heads on straight, they will likely lift their first world cup.

Not sure if srs....

Theres a good reason why they lost to Tonga, they are a horrible team and thanks to Warburton the final is going to be a farce.

I cant believe the comparisons earlier in this thread dussatoir and kaino. Even though they are different types of player. Kaino is the player of the tournament in my eyes and most of NZ would probably agree with that imo.

Im keen to hear what the other nationalitys on here think. I still cant fathom how anybody can think any player in the french team even comes close to Kaino he's been an absolute beast consistently through the entire tournament.

Is there a player of the tournament announcement after the final?

I'm happy for Craig Joubert! once again there will be South African Representation in the final (suck it Aussies)!!

I also think that by selecting him, the IRB is trying to make the damage control less by selecting a referee which has been outstanding all tournament, BUT with Owens and Rolland as touch judges, I feel there will be a lot of flags sticking out, which could be a problem to 1. the flow of the game and 2. Discipline in the sense that, some unnecessary penalties might be given which might not be a penalty in the first place...

as for the game itself, it will be a match where the kicking of Scrumhalves will be of most importance, both tactical as well as to goal. My only Question is what will the All Blacks do if Weepu's foot injury is worse than they thought? I don't think poor old Cruden has a good kicking boot on him and the pressure will be Immense!

Like Heyneke Meyer always say, Attractive running rugby puts bums on seats, Defensive hard rugby wins trophies...

I'm happy for Craig Joubert! once again there will be South African Representation in the final (suck it Aussies)!!

I also think that by selecting him, the IRB is trying to make the damage control less by selecting a referee which has been outstanding all tournament, BUT with Owens and Rolland as touch judges, I feel there will be a lot of flags sticking out, which could be a problem to 1. the flow of the game and 2. Discipline in the sense that, some unnecessary penalties might be given which might not be a penalty in the first place...

as for the game itself, it will be a match where the kicking of Scrumhalves will be of most importance, both tactical as well as to goal. My only Question is what will the All Blacks do if Weepu's foot injury is worse than they thought? I don't think poor old Cruden has a good kicking boot on him and the pressure will be Immense!

Like Heyneke Meyer always say, Attractive running rugby puts bums on seats, Defensive hard rugby wins trophies...

He kicked 80% in ITM cup so he can kick, whether he can under the pressure is a different story.

Israel Dagg kicked pretty well for the Highlanders, drop kicks may not be his thing but he is there to step up if Cruden is off form.

Haha. I'm very glad they've chosen a French ref for a French game :p

Jokes aside he's the best ref in the world by country mile.

Israel Dagg kicked pretty well for the Highlanders, drop kicks may not be his thing but he is there to step up if Cruden is off form.

lol, yeah His Drop Goal attempt (if we can call it that) was almost as bad as Priestland's attempt vs the Boks...

to be fair though, a Substitute Kicker that doesn't kick at goal regularly won't be able to cope with the pressure of the World Cup Final... But is this a disadvantage to the All Blacks though??

IMO i think it will help the All Blacks... in the tournament, they were the only team that regulary went through gaps and scored tries...
Their Line-outs and Scrums are functioning very well and now because they might have a problem with going for goal when receiving penalties, they would rather kick for the line-out and maul it up or take the scrum... by having that weakness, they'll have the opportunity to use their strengths more...

lol, yeah His Drop Goal attempt (if we can call it that) was almost as bad as Priestland's attempt vs the Boks...

to be fair though, a Substitute Kicker that doesn't kick at goal regularly won't be able to cope with the pressure of the World Cup Final... But is this a disadvantage to the All Blacks though??

IMO i think it will help the All Blacks... in the tournament, they were the only team that regulary went through gaps and scored tries...
Their Line-outs and Scrums are functioning very well and now because they might have a problem with going for goal when receiving penalties, they would rather kick for the line-out and maul it up or take the scrum... by having that weakness, they'll have the opportunity to use their strengths more...

I don't think the AB's have a problem with their goal-kicking. Weepu had an off-day with the boot, but that is unusual for him (the fact he was sick probably didn't help either). He's still kicked 15/20 (75%) for the tournament, which is certainly acceptable - it was a major surprise when he finally missed one versus Argentina! His goal-kicking is probably as good as Carters has been over recent years, so the AB's don't really lose much in this department with Carter out. I'm not aware of any foot injury to Weepu - the reason he left the field early was because he was struggling with the affects of a flu.

If Weepu was to miss the game for some reason there would certainly be a lot of pressure on Cruden. Cruden has improved his goal-kicking immensely over the last year or so (kicked close to 80% in both Super Rugby and ITM Cup), so I don't think he would do a bad job (but he is largely unproven at this level, so I would certainly be nervous if he had a pressure kick!)

Last edited:

I think that really depends on the individual.. Some people can handle it (Jon Preston) some people can't (Naming names is mean).

Weepu went into last night with an 18/19 record, Cruden has just come off an 80% ITM season and Dagg owns in all facets. I don't think the ABs will be discouraged from going for goal.

I hope they don't though, the perfect game for me is for the All Blacks to absolutely decimate the French in the scrum (just to prove once and for all that NZ has one of the best packs going), and then to throw the ball around and stack 30 on, showing the world that exciting rugby can also be winning rugby.

I think that really depends on the individual.. Some people can handle it (Jon Preston) some people can't (Naming names is mean).

Weepu went into last night with an 18/19 record, Cruden has just come off an 80% ITM season and Dagg owns in all facets. I don't think the ABs will be discouraged from going for goal.

I hope they don't though, the perfect game for me is for the All Blacks to absolutely decimate the French in the scrum (just to prove once and for all that NZ has one of the best packs going), and then to throw the ball around and stack 30 on, showing the world that exciting rugby can also be winning rugby.

Sounds perfect to me. We don't need to play like England or South Africa to win a World Cup Final. That's them and not us. I'd much rather players went into the game thinking that they have the talent to score tries against France, and if it doesn't work, switch to plan B, rather than just go to plan B from the start. An exciting running rugby final would to a world of good for the sport. I hope we play like we did in the third test against France in 2009, as I'd probably say that was the most complete game the All Blacks have played in recent years.

ok Heineken time to pull your head out of your ass, why should we suck it? you are the one with the referee issue, not us. in fact, we aren't even involved in this game, so how does it affect us?

for the sake of myself and other members on the forum, just give it a rest. dont' bother responding to this post either. get me banned, who gives a ****... at least I wont have to listen to you ******* and moaning anymore. happy days

Latest posts