• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: England - Romania (24-09-2011, 18:00)

I agree Simpson should be on the bench, but Im actually interested to see Youngs and Wilko play together for more than 20 nminutes. They never have.

Is that accurate, because if it is then I completely agree with the decision to start with that half back pairing as it's our first choice 9 with our back up / 1st choice 10. Vital they have more game time together.

Really don't think Wilko should be starting this, Flood definitely deservers another crack. If Jonny was renamed Tim Smith (and everyone forgot about '03) and he turned in those last two performances, people would agree he should be nowhere near the squad.

Is that accurate, because if it is then I completely agree with the decision to start with that half back pairing as it's our first choice 9 with our back up / 1st choice 10. Vital they have more game time together.

Yeah Im sure it is. Wilkinson played really well against Ireland and Goal kicking aside he played pretty well against Argentina. Much better than Flood was against Wales and has been for Leicester since the 6N except the odd game,Georgia was his first half decent game for a while...and it was against a minnow.

Dear Jonno, If you are not going to use HMS Banahan please can we arrange "something" whereby he returns to us. Regards, Annoyed of Bath.

I will be interested to see Cueto, although he'll probably be a let down again. I am hoping that England finally step it up a notch but then again I expect that is wishful thinking!!!

m0rris

Yeah Im sure it is. Wilkinson played really well against Ireland and Goal kicking aside he played pretty well against Argentina. Much better than Flood was against Wales and has been for Leicester since the 6N except the odd game,Georgia was his first half decent game for a while...and it was against a minnow.

Sorry - Jonny is in the team for his goal kicking, end of. As a ball playing 10 he is turgid and utterly second rate. His famed goal kicking very nearly lost us the the game against Argentina and aside from the occasional 'big hit' there is no argument for his inclusion in the team (we must be the only country in the world that picks their Fly Half on the basis of defence, thoroughly depressing).

Last edited:
Dear Jonno, If you are not going to use HMS Banahan please can we arrange "something" whereby he returns to us. Regards, Annoyed of Bath.
I think literally everyone would be happy were that to happen :p

Well, apart from Biggs/Carraro

From Ben Dirs:

68 mins: Ireland 9-20 England Ireland through the hands but Tuilagi manages to take two Irish attackers out with one hit, skittling Murphy onto Earls and decking them both. Sexton prods one through but Wigglesworth beats Bowe to it. O'Connell with the charge down and here come the men in green again... Healy eventually coughs it up and Croft comes away with it. Flood off the bench, we may see him introduced for the last few minutes and you have to say Wilkinson hasn't had a great game.

Player ratings after Argentina game:

Jonny Wilkinson: Kicked a good early penalty before slumping to an unheard of four misses in a row. Failed to get England's backline across the gainline in a below par performance from England's golden boy. 5

He has been poor in both previous appearances, deluded fans need to wake up and stop fawning over their hero.

Last edited:
Im not deluded I just disagree with you. England hardly had any quick ball in the argentina game, any 10 would have struggled to shine.

Im not deluded I just disagree with you. England hardly had any quick ball in the argentina game, any 10 would have struggled to shine. Also I dont really know why you have quoted a bbc blogger, there are tons of people who agree with you on the matter, and probably the same number that disagree. Stuart Barnes also agrees with you and has been over the top in his slating of him for years (probably out of jealousy that he never achieved anything like Wilkinson will)

wats wrong with jonny? I think he's one of the best fly halfs englands ever had...1st name that pops up when "the English are coming!!"

His reputation far exceeds anything he has actually achieved since 2003 (nearly a decade)

he still pulls off his trademark hits? Dont see much n10s doing that let alone tackle *cough* quade *cough* cooper

Thats your opinion which your entitled to, but I disagree. His performances in the 2007 world cup (in which he was carrying a serious injury) were very impressive after almost 4 seasons out of the game.) I admit there have been low lights like the 2005 lions tour, when he clearly wasnt match fit, but the team around him wasnt very good beetween 06 and untill the Australia tour to be honest and he was usually one of our stand out players. Lets discuss it again at the end of the tournament ;)

His reputation far exceeds anything he has actually achieved since 2003 (nearly a decade)

The guy has been on fire this season for Toulon, have you seen him play there? He was easily the best flyhalf in the top.14 this year, his carreer has been blighted my injuries but I'd pick him anyday, talent doesn't dissapear.

The guy has been on fire this season for Toulon, have you seen him play there? He was easily the best flyhalf in the top.14 this year, his carreer has been blighted my injuries but I'd pick him anyday, talent doesn't dissapear.

I agree completely, I dont reckon those who slate him watch him play for Toulon enough!

Going to the match again..... hoping (perhaps in vain?) to see some running rugby. I'm behind the posts again so I'm going to do my best to make sure Wilkinson doesn't get too many kicks over again ;)

Going to the match again..... hoping (perhaps in vain?) to see some running rugby. I'm behind the posts again so I'm going to do my best to make sure Wilkinson doesn't get too many kicks over again ;)

That was you?!?!? :mad: Don't you ever do that to poor Jonny again :p.

Romania are a step lower than Georgia so fully expect England to put atleast 40+ points on them and lets hope Youngs and Wilko fire, key to our WC.

Latest posts