• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: England - Georgia (18-09-2011, 18:00)

Who would you like to see starting?

• Total voters

superhans121

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
RWC 2011.png

Otago Stadium (18/09/2011 18:00)
England.png
Versus Challenge.png
Georgia.png

Ref: Jonathan Kaplan (RSA)​
[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD] England [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] Georgia [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Foden[/TD]
[TD] 15[/TD]
[TD]Revaz Gigauri[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chris Ashton[/TD]
[TD] 14[/TD]
[TD]Irakli Machkhaneli[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manu Tuilagi[/TD]
[TD] 13[/TD]
[TD]Davi Kacharava[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Shontayne Hape[/TD]
[TD] 12[/TD]
[TD]Tedo Zibzibadze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Delon Armitage[/TD]
[TD] 11[/TD]
[TD]Alexander Todua[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Toby Flood[/TD]
[TD] 10[/TD]
[TD]Merab Kvirikashvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Youngs[/TD]
[TD] 9[/TD]
[TD]Irakli Abuseridze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nick Easter[/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[TD]Dimitri Basilaia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lewis Moody[/TD]
[TD] 7[/TD]
[TD]Mamuka Gorgodze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Wood[/TD]
[TD] 6[/TD]
[TD]Shalva Sutiashvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Palmer[/TD]
[TD] 5[/TD]
[TD]Vakhtang Maisuradze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Simon Shaw[/TD]
[TD] 4[/TD]
[TD]Ilia Zedginidze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dan Cole[/TD]
[TD] 3[/TD]
[TD]David Kubriashvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dylan Hartley[/TD]
[TD] 2[/TD]
[TD]Jaba Bregvadze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Stevens[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD]David Khinchagishvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Steve Thompson[/TD]
[TD] 16[/TD]
[TD]Akvsenti Giorgadze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Alex Corbisiero[/TD]
[TD] 17[/TD]
[TD]David Zirakashvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Croft[/TD]
[TD] 18[/TD]
[TD]Levan Datunashvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]James Haskell[/TD]
[TD] 19[/TD]
[TD]Giorgi Chkhaidze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Joe Simpson[/TD]
[TD] 20[/TD]
[TD]Bidzina Samkharadze[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonny Wilkinson[/TD]
[TD] 21[/TD]
[TD]Givi Berishvili[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Banahan[/TD]
[TD] 22[/TD]
[TD]Lasha Khmaladze[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

How much will the team change for Georgia? Will Johnson look to get all 30 players involved over the next two weeks, or go for continuity?

For me the likely changes are

Palmer for Lawes (suspension)
Hartley for Thompson
Youngs for W'worth
Flood for Wilko

Maybe a midfield change (Hape for Tindall?)

Would also like to see Armitage given another game on the wing..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd stick with a pretty similar, 1st choice side (ish); maybe rest Thompson as he's old and there's no point burning him out against Romania/Georgia, Youngs in for Wigglesworth now he's proven to be fit, Palmer for Lawes due to the suspension. Probably give Cueto, Flood and Moody game time off the bench if they're up for it.

Wrap this game up in the first half, save the major changes and resting of players for Romania, in time to be back in against the Jocks and the rest of the tournament.

People are so impatient, you couldn't wait for the proper match thread? :p

I think we'll see:

Corbs
Hartley
Stevens
Deacon
Shaw
Wood
Moody (C)
Haskell
Youngs
Flood
Cueto
Hape
Tuilagi
Ashton
Armitage

Mears
Wilson
Palmer
Croft
Simpson
Wilkinson
Banahan

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I think it'll be something along those lines

I'm not too fussed who plays, as long as they give Georgia a damn good thrashing! Not for the benefit of Johnson and his staff, the RFU, or the media, but for the players themselves, and our sanity.

The same goes for Romania, but we can loose to Scotland.

Rumours flying around that Moody's had a scan and has been ruled out of the WC and is on his way home, being replaced by Fourie

only 5.30am in NZ atm so suppose we have to wait a while until we see if anything's released by the England camp to confirm this!

Rumours flying around that Moody's had a scan and has been ruled out of the WC and is on his way home, being replaced by Fourie

only 5.30am in NZ atm so suppose we have to wait a while until we see if anything's released by the England camp to confirm this!

Tom Wood will be pleased.

WTH? All I've seen out of the England camp is that he's fit and running again and should be fit for the Georgia match...

Same here - now hearing a different rumour (from a more reputable source, if you can call journalists that!) that it's either Sheridan, Moody or Cueto
Cueto would make sense, back injuries can be awkward to heal - would also mean Sharples getting a call up, which I'm not averse to.... Though Banahan will get selected ahead of him each time

The latest I heard is that someone's on their way back and that it effects Sale, so it's either one of our guys coming back (Sheridan/Cueto) or one leaving (Fourie)

It's sad if Moody misses out and a blow, but on the other hand, we're actually going to have a 7? Hopefully this'll mean that Haskell can take up 8 and Fourie 7 and we finally have a balanced and somewhat strong backrow. If Croft continues to stay off form, we can also move Wood into 6 and won't have to use him as a makeshift 7. Not sure what to say about where Easter's role lies though. I don't think he should have come to this WC. Haskell should be nailed to 8 and it would have helped to have another flanker option, in case of form/injury problems.

It's sad if Moody misses out and a blow, but on the other hand, we're actually going to have a 7? Hopefully this'll mean that Haskell can take up 8 and Fourie 7 and we finally have a balanced and somewhat strong backrow. If Croft continues to stay off form, we can also move Wood into 6 and won't have to use him as a makeshift 7. Not sure what to say about where Easter's role lies though. I don't think he should have come to this WC. Haskell should be nailed to 8 and it would have helped to have another flanker option, in case of form/injury problems.

You are aware he was player of the season last year, playing at Openside all year? No?

Aye, even when he was playing at 6 for England he was really playing as a 7, and then with Haskell playing as a 6.5 we had a decent enough backrow

There is definitely news to do with a Sale player coming out very soon - and not good news, so presuming it's one of Sheridan or Cueto coming home injured
My money's still on Cueto, as Sheridan seemed fine when he came off vs Argentina (though he is very injury prone with his shoulders)

You know, I've only ever seen him play impressively at 6 for England that I completely forgot about where he plays at Northampton. Could a 6. Moody 7. Wood 8. Haskell have worked?

Just heard it's Sheridan - I wouldn't be surprised if he has to retire now - he's played about 5 games in the past season (or more) with his shoulders and after all the surgery he's had, for them not to be right....not good at all

Now to look at who's on the reserves list:

Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints),
Tim Payne (London Wasps)

Tim Payne - OH GOD NO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO
PDJ - Meh, he's alright but not amazing

I bet it'll be Tim Payne, as he's a specific loosehead, whereas PDJ would be seen as the backup for Stevens/Wilson as the "utility" prop
Thank f*** we've still got Stevens and Corbisiero and Payne could (possibly) not see game time
:(

Gorgodze will smash someone.

Stevens is better than Sheridan anyway.

Aaaaarggh!!! Really dissapointed/gutted for him and England. Must be heartbreaking. Be gutted if he has to retire because of this, big fan of his and he always comes across as a nice guy.

Obvious choice would be PDJ as he was involved with the England squad and missed out, but they will not play.

Btw Olly how do you get all this info in so fast? Couldn't find anything all day about anyone flying home.

Would MJ have to replace Sheridan with another prop? In the event that too many get injured, we can always call them up after injuries. I'm just thinking that the 5th prop is likely only going to ever make up the numbers (given that Stevens and Cole have to be pretty much cemented into the starting line) whereas an extra fly-half/center/winger might actually make a significant contribution to the team, because we seem to be lacking options.

Last edited:
Official_RFU Official RFU
BREAKING NEWSprop Andrew Sheridan is out of #rwc after injuring shoulder against Argentina. He will go home for treatment & cannot return.

Paul Doran Jones for callup methinks.

Latest posts